prob: using VMware boot real windows in MacOS

12 posts in this topic

I am PC with 2 harddisks:

1, GUID, has only one primary&active partition with Leopard installed

2, MBR, has only one primary&active partition with Windows 2003 installed

If I set BIOS to boot the windows disk first, then I can login my windows successfully

If I set BIOS to boot the MAC disk first, then I can login my MacOS successfully

here is my problem:

when I am using VMware to boot the windows disk in Leopard,

it says:

NTLDR is missing

press any key to reboot

my NTLDR is exist clearly, cuz I can boot my windows really

and I insert a bootup disk when VMware windows is starting,

dir c:\

I can see my windows files, so VMware can access my windows partition

and I tried use windows installation disk to repair NTLDR & MBR, but it doesn't work

anybody have good ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks dude, but it's not for me, it says:

----------------------------------------

you are using a dual boot XP/OS X normally booting with the darwin bootloader

you have them on the same HD

i can NOT boot my windows with the darwin bootloader

i have two HD

however, i tried that, but it doesnt work at all. :)

Try booting you VM with the WIndows 2003 installation disk and repairing the boot settings. This will edit the MBR on your VIRTUAL Hard disk and not your physical disk and let you boot straight into 2003 from VMWare and it won't effect your native Windows booting whatsoever.

My suggestion is to also use grub to boot into your OS'es so that you dont have to go into the BIOS to change the preferred HDD each time.

-sdelano

Try booting you VM with the WIndows 2003 installation disk and repairing the boot settings. This will edit the MBR on your VIRTUAL Hard disk and not your physical disk and let you boot straight into 2003 from VMWare and it won't effect your native Windows booting whatsoever.

My suggestion is to also use grub to boot into your OS'es so that you dont have to go into the BIOS to change the preferred HDD each time.

-sdelano

Thanks, sdelano

but I have tried use windows installation disk to repair NTLDR & MBR in VM booting, but it doesn't work

and, grub for dos can NOT boot my MacOS, it says: HFS+ Error.....something, I'm sure my grub booting list is right

we have no grub for mac right?

It could be because mac osx is the master hardrive. Can you see both drives in my computer? also I don't know if this is possible. The drive formats vary.

Yes I can, in windows I have Macdrive installed, so I can see all my partitions on 2 HDs. the same in my MacOSX

I am having problem with getting VMWare in Mac OS X loading up XP.

I have installed XP on the 1st Partition and OSX on the 2nd Partition, I have set XP to active and I can boot into XP and also into OSX. The only problem I have is that I have installed VMWare Fusion and tried to get it to boot the XP Partition, it goes past the bios boot and then gives me an error.

Just it let you know I am doing this all in VMWare as I would like to test it before install OSX for real.

Please can somebody help.

All the best

NSCXP2005

I am having problem with getting VMWare in Mac OS X loading up XP.

I have installed XP on the 1st Partition and OSX on the 2nd Partition, I have set XP to active and I can boot into XP and also into OSX. The only problem I have is that I have installed VMWare Fusion and tried to get it to boot the XP Partition, it goes past the bios boot and then gives me an error.

Just it let you know I am doing this all in VMWare as I would like to test it before install OSX for real.

Please can somebody help.

All the best

NSCXP2005

what the error you got when booting xp?

It looks like that due to the virtual graphics card's inability to run QE/CI fully, is casuing the UI to {censored} out. No fix that I can thing of, as you are running VMware Fusion nested inside VMware Workstation. BTW, I have re-created the issue.

Thanks dude, but it's not for me, it says:

you are using a dual boot XP/OS X normally booting with the darwin bootloader

you have them on the same HD

i can NOT boot my windows with the darwin bootloader

i have two HD

however, i tried that, but it doesnt work at all. :D

You should keep reading that thread, there is a way to set up any partition of any disk with own VMware tool called vmware-rawdiskCreator.