Is it worth upgrading to new hardware?

9 posts in this topic

hi there

i just wanted to ask if its worth upgrading, i have following specs:

AMD X2 DualCore 4200+

ASUS A8N-SLI

KINGSTON HYPER X 2048MB RAM

should i change to an intel 3.06 ghz cpu with a new mainboard? which one would you suggest? and would you really upgrade, or would you still wait a moment. Leo works perfect on my machine, but i'm always afraid that after installing updates, my machine wont boot anymore. (do i actually need to worry about this????)

hope someone can help!

regards

hey thanks for your help! ;)

but in your signature, i see that you have a very similar system to mine (except 8800gts). ehm do you think os x is not running well on yours? will i get much better results with an intel? my friend has an 2.8 ghz imac and my station is running faster than his one.

any ideas???

ps: where can i find these famous p35 mobo's?

Well, when you figure that the Core2 holds a 10-25% IPC advantage over the AMD chips you can't really go wrong. Of course AMD chips are cheaper, but as the old saying goes... you get what you pay for.

If you don't know what P35 boards are favored by builders you haven't been reading these forums or any others. If you just want to garb a box-o-parts without doing any work or research on you own, good luck.

lol how gently :)

im reading in this forum for 3 months now. thanks for help anyway. so what your saying is, i will not get a veryyyyy big difference right? i mean woudn't it be better to wait until even faster cpu's will come? do you think the amd 4200+ is a slow cpu????

regards

do you think the amd 4200+ is a slow cpu????

Yes, it gets slaughtered by the intel chips clock for clock. Look it up if you don't believe me. I built a machine just recently based on the 6400+. Wasn't impressed at all with it and sold it shortly after. Ran too damn hot and is barely overclockable. I was always an AMD supporter, but I just can't support them right now. They just can't compete.

Your perfomance difference wont be that huge, but you wont run into as many problems, especially when updating

yes that's the point. is this really so? everything works fine now, i have all the kexts which work perfect for my hardware. so if for example 10.5.3 comes, will this kexts not work anymore? will i have to reconfigure everything? ;) does somone know what cs_invalid_page means? it's shown in my console (but everything works fine) :S

so would you recommand waiting instead of buying already now new hardware? (because everything works fine actually)

thanks in advance!

regards

susu