Installer cannot unmount drive

mjaleo

6 posts in this topic

... but I can't get it any further without some help.

The error occurs when I get to the installation part of the install process. It verifies the DVD data, then gets about ten seconds in and errors out.

It tells me that it cannot unmount the drive, to restart and try again.

Tried that, nothing.

This is an independant hard drive dedicated to this OS and one partition. I had the disc utility erase the data on there originally, and then format it as it wanted to in its own default settings. Tried doing it a few times to no avail.

Maybe I'm missing something simple in the setup of the partition on the drive? I don'tknow but it's almost 4:00am and I'm at a brick wall.

Any help is VERY, VERY greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hmmm, sounds like you are doing everything right...

How did you create your install DVD? (and on what kind of Media -R, +R?) Did you download the .ppf, and the .dmg and the convert/patch it yourself? (if so did you check the md5 checksums?) Or, did you download a prepatched .iso?

Also, what is your system setup? Please - details, details, details...

This info might help determine if your error is caused by hardware incompatibility or by a error on your install media. :)

Here ya go. Hey you're in PA, was interested to see who else was up at 4 in the morning. I'm MD :).

I got the install off of newgroups, prepatched. Version and packing is known to work from comments posted on Newzbin.

System setup is a P4 3.2ghz Intel. Intel board, WD HDD, nVidia graphics, etc.

It's all really, really standard on this box I'm trying it on.

It is a DVD-R. I don't think it's a problem with the disc. I just don't know why it is unable to unmount the drive. Weird.

Have you used this install DVD successfully before? If not, I would highly suggest starting over, and downnloading the dmg, converting to iso, and patching it yourself. I know, it sucks, but if you have a bad image... There are less problems patching it yourself, and you can check the md5 sums of each step to make sure you have no corruption. Unfortunately any small corruption can create a DVD that might boot, but runs into all kinds of other problems when trying to install. :dev:

• 4 years later...