Cheap OSx86 laptop

rich73

8 posts in this topic

Because the majority of those machines are out of production or no longer available, and most are significantly above the price point I mentioned in my post. I was hoping someone had just gotten one and could tell me that they'd just tried it.

laptop.jpg

<h1 class="prodname"> </h1>Acer Extenza 5620Z. You can ususally get this for around 599 at Circuit city, where I bought mine. Get Leo4All v.3 and everything will work right out of the box. The installer has audio and video drivers. Only thing is that the onboard ethernet doesnt seem to be stable, goes in and out, just grab a cheap usb-to-ethernet adapter, and grab the drivers here: http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html QE/CI works perfect, 1280x800 resolution, wireless internet works no problem so if you have that it works, but I would still recommend the external adapter in case you go somewhere were internet requires a fixed cable. This machine also has a built in web cam and it works out of the box. Works for me in iChat.

"Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd" runs on an IBM R40 at amazingly good speed ..no delays etc.

IBM Thinkpad R40, 2xUSB2, 1xFirewire, 1400x1050 Pixel Screen, DVD Rom/CDRW, about 250€uro

USB2, Network (Ethernet), Sound, CD/DVD-Rom, 1024x768 Screen ..functions "out of the box".

Good notebook deal because of "modern" connections (usb2,ieee) AND screen size (1400x1050)

I try tweaking the R40 screen to 1400x1050 pixels ..good enough for email and office 2008 work.

Thinkpads are ruff workhorses, i leave my r40 on for days (buttons for switch off screen+sound)

IBM R40 is the very best ..next comes the A31 (same screen size but USB1/"kinda" subnotebook)

ps: just use it for office and email stuff ..don't expect wonders (leopard is little wonder allready)

sosai x i think u hit me up on other thread go into your network undersystem prefs see if u have option in that list like firewire and modem...hit the minus sign and restart your lappy see if that solves the problem

Everything working 99% here on my Dell e1705 with the Leo4Allv3 DVD with Netkas 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel. I can't test the card-reader, but I would imagine that it doesn't. Also, I cannot test the built-in ethernet, but wireless works fine. Other than that, I get 1920x1200 res with full CI/QE and everything is just running sooooo smooooothly!

Dell Inspiron E1705 / 9400 ~ $700 USED (Perfect Condition!) On eBay

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

LCD: 17 Inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display W/ TrueLife™

Memory: 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Network Card & Modem

Wireless Networking Card: Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)

Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

DVD Drive: Sony DVD+/-R With DL +R Capability

Sound Options: Integrated HDA Audio (STAC9200)

Primary Battery: 53 WHr 6-Cell Lithium Ion Battery