Leo install to an external USB Flash Drive?

mingistech

8 posts in this topic

try it and give us a holler! The best way to get answers here is to try it for yourself. Good luck!

With this being such a mature scene I'm sure many people here have had experience with this.

If I don't get any feedback before the weekend I'll just go in blind and see what I can do... but I'd love to get some info on this.

I was able to install Jas 10.4.8 on a Flash drive. It runs pretty slow, as you might expect. Had to use MBR rather than GUID I think. Prior to that install, the only thing I could get running on the Flash drive was deadmoo (using dd). But the Jas install worked. Had no luck with Leo. It would sometimes say that installation was successful, but it wouldn't boot and I couldn't figure out how to modify the MBR to coax it into booting.

I was able to install Jas 10.4.8 on a Flash drive. It runs pretty slow, as you might expect. Had to use MBR rather than GUID I think. Prior to that install, the only thing I could get running on the Flash drive was deadmoo (using dd). But the Jas install worked. Had no luck with Leo. It would sometimes say that installation was successful, but it wouldn't boot and I couldn't figure out how to modify the MBR to coax it into booting.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking a Leo4All v.3 install with the drive. It's to use at work in our all Dell offices.

I'd love to get this working even if I have to use my old Jas 10.4.8 install disk. :P

• 9 months later...

i just installed it on a 120GB hdd, the easiest way to install osx86

I have an 8GB USB Flash Drive that I'm interested in installing Leopard on. Has anyone been able to have this successfully work for them? I'd love to hear some feedback. :angel:

Is it necessary to format the hdd first? I got it working on my laptop just by partitioning like 20gb for OSX but I have a spare hdd I put in an enclosure and I can't get the installer to detect it. I have it formatted for FAT32, should I do NTFS?

i just installed it on a 120GB hdd, the easiest way to install osx86

osx on usb flash drive is terrible slow ... but no problem with chameleon bootloader ... fastest way is to install on hd, than clone with CCC to usb flash drive, after that just install Chameleon on flsh drive ...