HDD Performance On Hackintosh? Is it OK?

force quit

8 posts in this topic

I would like to build a fast rig based on a Q6600 and a GA EP35 xxx board to do some serious After Effects and FCP editing.

Now my question is: How do you experience HDD performance on your rig?

Some say it's really bad but i can't believe it. Are those "ghosts from the past" from earlier builds? It should be fine nowadays, no?

I see little people complaining.

Good question. I don't recall seeing any posts where people complained about it, but I've only been here a few weeks. I hope it's OK because my one and only interest in a Hackintosh is to capture video over Firewire. If the disks can't keep up with the data transfer rate then I'm really just wasting my time. I'd definitely like to hear some opinions on it, too.

On my laptop I've noticed the hdd lite is not on as much as when using Vista, maybe that's why it's not a problem especially when in ram, where osx seems efficient c/w Vista anyway. I replaced the hdd on mine with a 7200 SATA2 one but the sys profiler shows it at 1.5Gbps, I thought SATA2 is 3.0 Gbps. Also when I boot off an external usb2 hdd the speed is similar to the internal, wtf? Xbench says the speeds are the same too. I thought the internal would be way faster.

HD read/write speeds are equivalent to Windows XP -- large file transfer actually seem to go faster on my OSX system. Program file access is fine. The benchmarks give about 60 to 70 MB/s transfer rate, which is what my drives do in winxp.

Generally, I find OSX faster than XP for most things. Only video processing seems a bit slower than I get with my tool set in winxp.

hi, generally my osx runs faster then same machine with xp installed previously. its because osx loads everything into ram and fill it up, so hdd is used only for first time read program data and then only to store files modificated by apps(documents etc) all program files runs constantly in ram so it is with kernel(in xp, kernel is stored in vram on hdd-can be changed if u have at least 1gb ram-shame:D)

so anyway, my osx runs faster than xp in every aspect, even games thru crossover run the same speed or little faster:)

Cheers for your input so far, guys!

I just went for it yesterday and bought my rig

- Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

- Gigabyte EP35-DS3P

- Samsung 500MB

- G.Skill DDR 2 800Mhz 2x2GB

- Gainward 8800GT 512mb

- Corsair TH650w PSU

- Antec 182 Case

and in the middle of installing Kalyway 10.5.2 <drool>

keeping fingers crossed :(

<---- thats oldie a bit,hahaha:P

anyway, good luck and let us know how it works on ur HW:)

:whistle:

That was meant to be GB of course...

So far the rig works great just my firewire is acting strange. In the system profile the ports are available but if i connect any firewire HDD to it it won't show up. a DVcam works though