Cutting Down Rain Forests for Soap

9 posts in this topic

I came across this on Greenpeace today:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/ca...-palmoil-action

Quite frankly, I think it's disgusting that heartless companies continue to destroy the rain forests - just to make soap!

It's also a completely illogical business decision to remove rain forests to grow cash crops.

For a start, the soil that rain forests leave is extremely delicate. It's dependant on the thick humic layer and shelter from rain. Once the vegetation is removed, rapid podzolisation occurs and most the soil nutrients are lost, meaning more fertiliser is required, increasing prices and decreasing yields. Furthermore, upon removing the rain forest, the rainfall in the area decreases, and all the rain that does still fall quickly washes away the soil, removing nutrients, causing podzolisation, large areas of land to be lost, and the silting up of water ways, disrupting hydro-electricity and shipping. Also, removing the rain forest displaces nomadic or subsistance farmers, who now not only have no where to grow their own food, have to live on rented land, meaning they need to earn money to buy food and pay rent. In the current climate of increasing food prices, this leads to more poverty. Most importantly, the rain forests represent a key 'drain' of CO2. The balance of the atmosphere and therefore global climate is dependant on the rain forests' ability to absorb a substantial amount of CO2. In cutting down the rain forests, we not only remove this 'drain', but also release more CO2 and CH4 in the process of destroying a forest.

On the other hand, removing rain forests provides quick and easy farm land and employment for lots and lots of people.

But what's it to be: the welfare of the world's most diverse, and crucial habitats - or a bar of soap?

I came across this on Greenpeace today:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/ca...-palmoil-action

Quite frankly, I think it's disgusting that heartless companies continue to destroy the rain forests - just to make soap!

It's also a completely illogical business decision to remove rain forests to grow cash crops.

For a start, the soil that rain forests leave is extremely delicate. It's dependant on the thick humic layer and shelter from rain. Once the vegetation is removed, rapid podzolisation occurs and most the soil nutrients are lost, meaning more fertiliser is required, increasing prices and decreasing yields. Furthermore, upon removing the rain forest, the rainfall in the area decreases, and all the rain that does still fall quickly washes away the soil, removing nutrients, causing podzolisation, large areas of land to be lost, and the silting up of water ways, disrupting hydro-electricity and shipping. Also, removing the rain forest displaces nomadic or subsistance farmers, who now not only have no where to grow their own food, have to live on rented land, meaning they need to earn money to buy food and pay rent. In the current climate of increasing food prices, this leads to more poverty. Most importantly, the rain forests represent a key 'drain' of CO2. The balance of the atmosphere and therefore global climate is dependant on the rain forests' ability to absorb a substantial amount of CO2. In cutting down the rain forests, we not only remove this 'drain', but also release more CO2 and CH4 in the process of destroying a forest.

On the other hand, removing rain forests provides quick and easy farm land and employment for lots and lots of people.

But what's it to be: the welfare of the world's most diverse, and crucial habitats - or a bar of soap?

Interesting article. I don't know, but people need to find alternatives and not be to lazy to think about them. I'm just wondering; what if the library of Alexandria wasn't burned down? We probably might have had better ideas for these alternatives and different ways of thinking. This whole world is going to die of stupidity one day, I just feel it coming and slapping me in the face. We need people to wake up and think. We need Archimedes and Einstein.

What a scam. That is the largest peice of {censored} I ever heard next to global warming. You can make soap out of almost anything. Just buy real soap instead of that toxic {censored} that the yuppies buy at wal-farts. Retarted.

http://www.calbenpuresoap.com/

Precisely, a common substance to make soap out of is cow fat, and it is used to make more high quality soaps.

There's a lot of cows in the world - why can't we use the,?

Precisely, a common substance to make soap out of is cow fat, and it is used to make more high quality soaps.

There's a lot of cows in the world - why can't we use the,?

Yes, exactly. You can make soap out of just about anything. Hundreds of recipies you can get online to make all kinds of soap. My grandmother used to make it from hog fats, and cinnimon. I can make it from leftover deer, or hog fat, but it is very time consuming. The stuff that is called soap now, is nothing more than toxic waste compounded into a bar of nice smelling, cancer causing industrial waste.

I NEED MORE TOOTHPICKS!!!!

:wallbash::blink::offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

American wooden toothpicks are cut from birch wood. Logs are first spiral cut into thin sheets, which are then cut, chopped and milled into the individual toothpicks.

How It's Made - Discovery Channel

We don't get birch from the rain forests :P