El Capitan MBR Patch 10.11.6

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstaller.framework to allow OS X 10.11 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.11.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.11 installer for MBR?

Open /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.

1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as OSXMBR as /Volumes/OSXMBR/

2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/

3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/

4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/

5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/

6. Remove /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages

7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages

OSInstall.mpkg replace to

/Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstaller replace to

/Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

(use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)

(Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/OSXMBR/ to install Mac OS X.

Work fine with Clover

Work fine with Enoch

and /Extra/kernel.plist with

<key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>

<string>Yes</string>

10.11.6.15G1011

10.11.6.15G31

10.11.5.15F34

10.11.4.15E65

10.11.3.15D21

10.11.2.15C50

10.11.1.15B42

10.11.0.15A284

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.11.0 ~ 10.11.6

perl -pi -e 's|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x74\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\xEB\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|g' OSInstaller

codesign -f -s - OSInstaller

• Confused 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I think you are the only one care to make MBR patches now :D Care to write a guide about how to make one ? The guide in the credits is in Chinese and needs registering. To make matter worst, it seems it asks for phone number verification, which we foreign aren't familiar with. Thanks in advanced

Based Google Translation

• Like 2

Hy crazybirdy,

by chance, you possess these commands from 10.7x to the last OS?

This is really intresting for me and Pandora! :drool: :drool: :drool:
  • Like 2

Because I still use MBR, not GPT...., I need MBR patches...... if I use GPT someday,...maybe...

-----------

# 10.11.dp1 patch with HexEdit.app or perl.

# the original is ddf6 = 74

# 000000000000ddf6    je    0xde57

# patch to be ddf6 = EB

# 000000000000ddf6    jmp    0xde57

# finish.

#

# original

# 48 8B 78 28 48 85 FF 74 5F 48 8B 85

# patched

# 48 8B 78 28 48 85 FF EB 5F 48 8B 85

#

perl -pi -e 's|x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x74\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\xEB\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|g' OSInstaller

codesign -f -s - OSInstaller

-----------

is that only for osinstaller ?

how about OSInstall.mpkg?

• Like 1

i dont know how must to say ! Just wanna say thank you so much ! Thanks thanksssssssss Thank you  for your hard word, im on MBR Partition so always find the way to install on it :D

• Like 1

i don't see any system folder in the usb installer, only 3 items, efi folder, efi-backups folder and the install OS X el capitan file.

no system folder? how do I apply this patch?, the other times there was a command you used but it was a tar file, this is two sepatate files.

ok I figured out that the system folder is hidden and the following command in a terminal windows makes it visible:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder

and the following command in a terminal makes it invisible again:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE && killall Finder

but now when I try to drag the files to override the files it says that it can't because the file that I'm trying to override is invisible, what am I supposed to do?

• Like 1

the files replaced are not invisibles in the installer files on USB, they must became invisibles or is not important to work perfectly?

Hi could you show us the terminal commands for creating the usb, i tried making one but the basesystem.dmg in the usb hfs partition is always mounted as read only, so I can't copy the packages and diagnostic files to it.

Kind Regards

ok I figured out that the system folder is hidden and the following command in a terminal windows makes it visible:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder

and the following command in a terminal makes it invisible again:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE && killall Finder

but now when I try to drag the files to override the files it says that it can't because the file that I'm trying to override is invisible, what am I supposed to do?

you can mount invisible dmg using Terminal command:

hdiutil attach /path/to/Some.dmg

now you can see OS X Base System disk image in Disk utility and restore its contents to usb drive :)

hi all,

in step 9 says. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
to (HFS partition) BaseSystem.dmg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

but BaseSystem.dmg is read only and i can't copy kernel there.

can someone help me on this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks forever!! Because of you, im can get it a Hachintosh...please don't stop your brilliant work!!!!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Please help me,

I have Yosemite with MBR & windows installed on other partition. 

When I boot from USB it fails in the kernel panic with below error, I put the new El capitan FakeSMC in S/L/E of the OSXMBR still the same error

org.hwsensors.drivers.CPUSensors - library kext org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC not compatible with requested version 1212

Cant load kext org.hwsensors.drivers.CPUSensors - failed to resolve library dependency

I ran repair permission with kext wizard but no success.

Thanks

Sachin 

the error went away using new FakeSMC however now the installer reboots after printing CPUSensors : started

thanks

Sachin 

I followed the direction precisely but when i try to boot from OSXMBR (my usb) i get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

any suggestions? thanks

EDIT: I attempt the dd boot1h fix and now i get

boot0: done

boot1: error

Hi, thank you for your work. I have a question: only OSX USB installer need mbr patch, otherwise you couldn't install, or also installed OSX? I explane: can I clone my OSX partition on a parted HD with mbr table and it will work?

• Like 1