<~--OSX Flags List for Darwin Bootloader & kernel level--~>

00diabolic

61 posts in this topic

@bofors

That is an excellent book. Seems to have more information in one place than others. The thread's author has not been on since Feb so im not sure if its going to get updated. We should whip a more in depth list up and pm it to the author as his thread has 39k views and wouldn't need to be a sticky to get exposure as would if we were to create a new thread.

It might be possible if he doesn't update it to have a mod do so but thats not likely.

I believe the 32-bit and 64-bit boot flags for 10.6 are -x32 and -x64 respectively.

I want to note that these -x32 and -x64 flags may be something that netkas' invented for his PC EVI bootloader and may not be present in others.

Using the kernel flags instead (if possible) is preferred:

arch=i386

arch=x86_64

I also want to point out that this list is based of speculations, most of the flags are not doing anything in the kernel. I am not sure where they are coming from (it might be linux) but they are useless for xnu. My wish is still that the original post was divided in kernel proper options and hacked kernel and custom boot booter flags. But as the poster don't frequent here anymore it might not be updated.

• 2 weeks later...
"Quiet Boot"=Yes = Yes or No. Use quiet boot mode (no messages or prompt). Same as adding -v option.

I am not sure if "same as adding -v option" was a typo or what, but "Quite Boot" should do the opposite (obviously).

Apparently, "Quite Boot" is synonymous with "Quite Mode" here.

I would also like to note that while quotation marks ("") are necessary at the boot prompt and with kernel flags in the plist, they are not needed with Quite Boot/Mode or other bootloader flags per se added to the boot.plist (e.g. Graphics Mode, Boot Graphics).

• 3 months later...

Is there an option we can add in the darwin boot loader file that will force it to show all the different hard drives you can boot from ? Rather than pressing F8 every time you boot up ?

Also is there a way to control what drives show up in the Boot menu ?

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

srv=1 - have it in Boot OSX of RAID-0 massive under 10.6.6 Server. Still clue what it is.. But can you see it on a Standard Client version in /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist .

Boot OSX is a boot partition disk0s3 in dev.

• 2 months later...
I am getting sick and tired of seeing incomplete lists of kernel flags. :) I always find a new one's and then I wonder what other ones are out there. So here is a list of all the ones I have come across because I cant find an extensive list like this anywhere else. I also would like to see others help add to this list. Mods do you think this can be a sticky? :(

The Flags are divided up this way.

By category they fit in. Those are boot loader & kernel level flags.

• A. By version of OS X they work with. Currently I have little data for this breakdown. It is impossible to tell which ones are specific to a OS version without extensive testing of each flag.

B. By kernel they work with. Only data I have for this breakdown is for hacked and vanilla kernels in Leopard currently.

Note: All unknown flags will go in separate list at the bottom of the category they belong to or in there own separate category for now. Once more information is gathered the list will be updated and flag categorized better.

I am asking anyone to help with notes or details for any flag to please step forward with any additional information you have.

Darwin boot loader level flags, for Darwin version 8.0:

Does anyone know where I can get the latest Darwin bootloader for VMWARE 7? I am having Darwin 3.0 right now and there are some issues with loading up the SL.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, in my limited experience of AMD Hackintoshing, 

I have come across a few boot flags which seem to be used often in AMD Builds.

(Athlon II, Phenom II, etc.)

arch=x86_64 
//Gives x64 support used on AMD Builds. Perhaps only when using a modded kernel (AMD_Kernel)?

arch=i386 
//Forces x86/32bit
//uses the i386 architecture and thus a 32 bit kernel and extensions.

npci=0x2000
//0x2000 is the kIOPCIConfiguratorPFM64 flag, as seen in the IOPCIFamily source code. (PFM64 probably stands for prefetch memory 64 bit).
//npci=0x2000 turns off this flag, as npci negates whatever flag bits you specify.
//With this flag turned off, the logic that sets fConsoleRange is disabled, and so the new graphics console relocation code is not triggered. 
//However, the rest of the other new relocation code is still executed, and therein probably lies a problem for some, depending upon your PCI 
//memory config. AFAIK, npci=0x2000 is working fine without side effects for most users.

PCIRootUID=1
//Have seen being used in enabling graphics cards, will test when trying to install my AMD/ATI 7770 Card

Check out this great list aswell: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/list-of-common-hackintosh-boot-flags_29.html

In fact, via the link above are some of the most important flags and should definitely be intergrated and updated into your list, it would then be far better use as most of these important flags are either missing from here or need some better explaining.

Thanks very much for this list it certainly helped me out with a previous SL Build.

Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup_anim:  :ninja:  :)

Many thanks,

Jack

EDIT: Didn't realise before I posted but now looking through, this thread seems DEAD!

Wondering if a new thread has been started and if so could somebody link it so that people arriving here can be led to something less sporadic, thanks =D.

Edited by JackPot