60 replies to this topic

00diabolic

00diabolic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Modding anything.

the uuid setting may be related to de boot device, as rd, but by uuid...
see Universally Unique Identifier - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

Hey thanks. I added the info. At least we know something about that flag now.

If you have any other updates or know about any other of the mystery flags please feel free to share the info. I wanna build the best list available

;)

daresfr

daresfr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Just to add my very small addition to this awesome and usefull list

-64_bit : kernel flag to force 64 bit execution on intel and modbin kernel 9.3.0 ( find it in Kalyway combo update 10.5.3)

00diabolic

00diabolic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

-64_bit : kernel flag to force 64 bit execution on intel and modbin kernel 9.3.0 ( find it in Kalyway combo update 10.5.3)

Thanks I'll add that to the list. I cant believe there are more flags out there amazing. Just when you think you got them all.

Now if someone could help figure out what some of the unknown flags do that would make the list even better.

00diabolic

00diabolic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
WOW FINALLY STICKYED

& THEN DE-STICKYED IN THE SAME WEEK.. WHAT A LOAD OF #$%^$

Software Updater

Software Updater

Apparently someone likes me...

• Donators
  • 529 posts
Don't worry about it. Just keep improving it and if they find it to be good they will sticky it.

00diabolic

00diabolic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Don't worry about it. Just keep improving it and if they find it to be good they will sticky it.

I've been away a while and now I'm getting ready to move. No one seems to have any extra info on this anymore. I have added everything I can think of to it from all the research I have done.

Maybe this topic should just wither and die... :-(

popbones

popbones

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So useful

00diabolic

00diabolic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

So useful

Glad it was useful.

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts

-F = Not sure could be the same as lower case -f flag.

-F forces OSX to ignore com.apple.boot.plist so any options you have set in the file will be ignored.

-f = Tells the machine to reload all kext and dump the boot configuration cache, (kext cache found in: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, you can delete it manually and the system will recreate it).

I believe there are only two ways to force OSX to rebuild the Extensions.mkext cache file:
1. Manually deleting the file
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
2. Using the touch command on the extensions folder.
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

I still prefer to manually remove the cache file.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

I am not sure if that is correct for 10.6.

I believe the 32-bit and 64-bit boot flags for 10.6 are -x32 and -x64 respectively.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
Whenever somebody gets around to updating this boot flag list, they should also look at Amit Singh's "Mac OS X Internals: A System Approach Book"

Tables 4-7 through 4-13 seem to provide more details:

http://books.google....h...;q=&f=false

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts
@bofors

That is an excellent book. Seems to have more information in one place than others. The thread's author has not been on since Feb so im not sure if its going to get updated. We should whip a more in depth list up and pm it to the author as his thread has 39k views and wouldn't need to be a sticky to get exposure as would if we were to create a new thread.

It might be possible if he doesn't update it to have a mod do so but thats not likely.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

I believe the 32-bit and 64-bit boot flags for 10.6 are -x32 and -x64 respectively.

I want to note that these -x32 and -x64 flags may be something that netkas' invented for his PC EVI bootloader and may not be present in others.

Using the kernel flags instead (if possible) is preferred:

arch=i386
arch=x86_64

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
I also want to point out that this list is based of speculations, most of the flags are not doing anything in the kernel. I am not sure where they are coming from (it might be linux) but they are useless for xnu. My wish is still that the original post was divided in kernel proper options and hacked kernel and custom boot booter flags. But as the poster don't frequent here anymore it might not be updated.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

"Quiet Boot"=Yes = Yes or No. Use quiet boot mode (no messages or prompt). Same as adding -v option.

I am not sure if "same as adding -v option" was a typo or what, but "Quite Boot" should do the opposite (obviously).

Apparently, "Quite Boot" is synonymous with "Quite Mode" here.

I would also like to note that while quotation marks ("") are necessary at the boot prompt and with kernel flags in the plist, they are not needed with Quite Boot/Mode or other bootloader flags per se added to the boot.plist (e.g. Graphics Mode, Boot Graphics).

bartman1

bartman1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Is there an option we can add in the darwin boot loader file that will force it to show all the different hard drives you can boot from ? Rather than pressing F8 every time you boot up ?

Also is there a way to control what drives show up in the Boot menu ?

wokie543

wokie543

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Do anyone know why I must boot with -f every time?

ARMAGEDDON

ARMAGEDDON

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:*nix<br />*mac
srv=1 - have it in Boot OSX of RAID-0 massive under 10.6.6 Server. Still clue what it is.. But can you see it on a Standard Client version in /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist .

Boot OSX is a boot partition disk0s3 in dev.

MacOSJunkie

MacOSJunkie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I am getting sick and tired of seeing incomplete lists of kernel flags. :) I always find a new one's and then I wonder what other ones are out there. So here is a list of all the ones I have come across because I cant find an extensive list like this anywhere else. I also would like to see others help add to this list. Mods do you think this can be a sticky? :(

The Flags are divided up this way.

By category they fit in. Those are boot loader & kernel level flags.A. By version of OS X they work with. Currently I have little data for this breakdown. It is impossible to tell which ones are specific to a OS version without extensive testing of each flag.

B. By kernel they work with. Only data I have for this breakdown is for hacked and vanilla kernels in Leopard currently.
Note: All unknown flags will go in separate list at the bottom of the category they belong to or in there own separate category for now. Once more information is gathered the list will be updated and flag categorized better.

I am asking anyone to help with notes or details for any flag to please step forward with any additional information you have.

Darwin boot loader level flags, for Darwin version 8.0:

Does anyone know where I can get the latest Darwin bootloader for VMWARE 7? I am having Darwin 3.0 right now and there are some issues with loading up the SL.

macintrash

macintrash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Wow, I so agree with the OP. I too am sick of tired of seeing incomplete lists of boot-up options.

Pity you missed like one of the most important flags ever.

arch=i386
arch=x86_64

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy