I accidentally DELETED my OSX Drive in Disk Util

cyber_tods

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I desperately need your help.

I accidentally deleted my hard drive in Disk Util!!!

This is what happened:

My OSX was unstalble and was not booting at all. I read in one post that if I repair the permission of my drive it could solve the problem.

So I then grabbed my Leopard Retail DVD .. poped it in ... booted from it .. opened disk utility

Will do repair permission but I wasn't aware that I was deleting it (pure stupidity) ..

Now, My OSX drive is back to the stone age .. everything was erased :)

Is there a utility in mac that can recover deleted partition or drives?

After I realized that I deleted my drive .. i just turned it off.

I know this can be done in Windows because I did that already .. But I don't know about Macs :D

I'm noob at this.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the reply.

I actually did that already :)

The thing is .. almost ALL (probably ALL) of the data recovery programs I found only run "within" OSX (e.g. Nucleus kernel) BUT there are no programs that run like a bootable CD/DVD that run outside OSX and then do recovery afterwards.

Is there an application/program that run outside OSX (support EFI DVD/CD booting) like Hiren's Boot CD???

I'm afraid to install Leopard because it will surely overwrite my previous Leopard drive and therefore lessen the chances of recovery.

I really can't believe that Mac Application makers didn't make any recovery tools that boot outside OSX. I really hope that I'm wrong but so far, I can't find anything.

Thank you very much.

Well, I am sure I once recovered a lost partition from Acronis OS Selector. Now it seems they moved the feature to another tool:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/produ...n-recovery.html

What worries me is that HFS+ is not mentioned as a supported file system.

However, there is another chance: TestDisk. I have never used it but it is worth trying:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Actually what you should do is to download the latest Parted Magic:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04777

Burn it to CD and boot from it (it has TestDisk among its tools).

Thanks for the replies guys!

Thanks for the links Alessandro ... I will try those cds .. I really hope it will boot on EFI environment.

@Snerler:

How can I do that? SHould I use a external USB hdd and install osx there? Then run a recovery program? I can't install another OS in another hard drive since its a Macbook (it only has 1 hdd and its internal).

If I could only tear this macbook apart and get the hard drive and slave it to my PC and do the recovery .. unfortunately, I can't .. its still in warranty (4 more months to go).

Ill let you know what happened with the recovery disks! thanks again

Yes I think installing an operating system on the external should do it.

One time I was using a linux partition editor and accidentally clicked OK instead of Cancel in some menu and lost all partitions on a drive. :) (The two buttons are reversed in position from what I'm used to). I used a bootable CD to restore the partitions, but that left one of the three partitions completely unusable. But I was able to recover the data by scanning the drive from an installation on another hard drive.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi all,

I desperately need your help.

I accidentally deleted my hard drive in Disk Util!!!

This is what happened:

My OSX was unstalble and was not booting at all. I read in one post that if I repair the permission of my drive it could solve the problem.

So I then grabbed my Leopard Retail DVD .. poped it in ... booted from it .. opened disk utility

Will do repair permission but I wasn't aware that I was deleting it (pure stupidity) ..

Now, My OSX drive is back to the stone age .. everything was erased :)

Is there a utility in mac that can recover deleted partition or drives?

After I realized that I deleted my drive .. i just turned it off.

I know this can be done in Windows because I did that already .. But I don't know about Macs :(

I'm noob at this.

Thank you so much!

OSX Data Recovery is the fast software that provides you the best facilities to retrieve your lost Mac OSX files and folders. It is easy to download. You can face it as user friendly tool because it will give you the secure, safe and perfect data recovery process. It is the best software. You will get your lost files with this software surely. It works great!

http://www.osxdatarecovery.org