eclipse

alvins

17 posts in this topic

I have been trying to compile from source but this require ant and that seems to have problems itself.

So given up on that - playing around with binary. Eclipse exits with errorcode 10 - any ideas what that relates to?

How about previous versions, are they worth trying?

After reinstalling osx and staying with the installed jdk (1.4.2) - the binary version of ant seems to work fine. Now I am compiling eclipse from source but need to recomple the swt and launcher libraries within.

Trying to recompile the launcher for eclipse - I need the Carbon library files and .h files (c files refer to these eg. - #include <Carbon/Carbon.h>).

I have downloaded Carbon from the apple dev site but don't know what to do with it (ie. where to put it and link it so 'cc' finds it when it tries to compile.

(Downloaded the Eclipse 3.0.2)

It runs just fine, but when I try to launch a project, it says:

Unable to use launch shortcut

Reason:

Plug-in org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui was unable to load class

org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.JavaApplicationLaunchShortcut

Any ideas?

(Downloaded the Eclipse 3.0.2)

It runs just fine, but when I try to launch a project, it says:

Unable to use launch shortcut

Reason:

Plug-in org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui was unable to load class

org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.JavaApplicationLaunchShortcut

Any ideas?

You may try to replace the jdt jars from the offical builds and see does it work.

Eclipse 3.1 has alot of fixes etc for bugs. Any reason you didn't try and compile 3.1? Could you write a short tutorial on how you went about compiling?

Cheers,

Alvin

It same that esclipe use the java.lang.reflect package from jdk 1.5.

At lease jdk 1.4.2 in tiger miss some functions of Method.class required by esclips.

I have Eclipse 3.1 working almost perfectly (can write code, debug, etc.) I need to recompile libcore , but everything else works fine.

Here's what I did:

1. I started with the Mac OS platform build.

2. I downloaded the SWT source and compiled it.

3. I inserted the 3 jnilib files the SWT build generated into the SWT jar file like this:

zip -u org.eclipse.swt.carbon.macosx.ppc_3.1.0.jar libswt-*

4. Voila!

This way I worked around not being able to compile the entire Eclipse source tree because of the issues with JDK 1.5.

Ohh thats excellent.

Couple of questions -

- Could you write up a tutorial on the exactly how do do this (ie. compile the SWT source as I was trying to do this).

- Could you upload the new SWT library so I can insert into my eclipse.

- What are the issues with JDK 1.5 you face? If I try compile anything with JDK1.5 I get seg faults, bus errors etc. The include JDK 1.4.2 seems to work good.

- Could you write up a tutorial on the exactly how do do this (ie. compile the SWT source as I was trying to do this).

SWT was trivial to compile for me, I simply typed "sh build.sh" after unzipping it. I installed all the XCode stuff possible when installing the system.

- Could you upload the new SWT library so I can insert into my eclipse.

Give me a place to upload and I'd be happy to. I would upload the result of the SWT build which you could then insert into your JAR file. Note that I may have another libcore to upload soon as well.

- What are the issues with JDK 1.5 you face? If I try compile anything with JDK1.5 I get seg faults, bus errors etc. The include JDK 1.4.2 seems to work good.

The issue with compiling the Eclipse source is that it requires JDK 1.5 to compile it, because it uses some new methods for reflection that JDK 1.4 does not.

Just playing around with it over the last couple of days. Plug-in development on eclipse seems to crash it constantly. Haven't tried simple java development but I think that works fine.

At some point we should try and do a complete port - mac x86. If anybody knows anyone who is able to help us in doing this it would be create - ie. someone who has experience in create a build for a new architecture. Seems to be quite a number of steps before you can create your own binary.

I will do some investigation into this over the next week.