so I got a dell 1390 wifi card for my laptop..

urgonah8me

17 posts in this topic

And when I put it in all went well.. booted up leopard and i found the airport icon on my bar! so I thought yeah ! great cool.

When I click on it It just says its disable wont let me turn it on.. SO i figure oh i must have the switch off on my laptop.. so i switched it to go on and its just not doing it :S the little light isnt turning on to indicate that the wifi is switched on.

Have I done something wrong? or would this normaly happen? I used to have that dreaded intel one the 3945 one or something.

Extracted from a post somewhere--

Don't screw it up. Oh, and if you DON'T have the dell card, but an intel one, stop here. You're hosed anyway. Have the Dell card? Good, lets rock.. Open up terminal and do the following..

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

(sudo prompts for your password, enter it)

A few lines down you'll see:

'en0' under 'BSD Name', change this to 'en1' (no quotes for any of it)

A couple lines further down 'IOInterfaceUnit' and just below it '0'.. Change that to a '1' (again, no quotes)

Now hit Ctrl+O to WriteOut (save) the file, and Ctrl+X to exit. Reboot. Now once you've rebooted the menubar icon will still say it isn't configured. No worries though! Open up system preferences and click on Network. It should tell you there was a new port discovered (airport) and voila, your airport connection is mapped to the Airport card instead of oddly through the ethernet interface.

thanks for the reply but this still doesnt work :(... i dont even know of the card is being used :S i mean i opened up the laptop felt it and it was warm so its being loaded... and the leopard installation started giving me the whole new network interface has been found "airport"

But when I try to click turn on it just doesnt do it! and when i flick the switch on the laptop that i used to to turn on my old wifi card.. the light doesnt show up indicating its on... so i cant tell if its loading or not :S

anyone else got suggestions?

so there is no way to turn it on :( ? bah that sucks i was excited the past 3 days waiting for this thing to be delivered thinking I would have perfected my laptops installation :(

edit: this is very strange because if i had my intel one still in place.. I could turn the switch on and off and the light appeared -_-

so there is no way to turn it on :P ? bah that sucks i was excited the past 3 days waiting for this thing to be delivered thinking I would have perfected my laptops installation :wacko:

edit: this is very strange because if i had my intel one still in place.. I could turn the switch on and off and the light appeared :)

I'm sure you can turn it on, however I think the switch is recognised by software and not directly linked to the power on function of the wifi card. This is only a theory, as most laptop turn on wifi through a key sequence, like fn + f2.

I think your card uses the Atheros AR5007EG chipset. So try searching for drivers regarding this.

Also: Try the method from this topic, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=ar5006

Hi guys,

Aplogies for bumpin this tread. I'm thinkin about using this card for my desktop.

Just wanna ask if i need to connect any wires or just slot it in my mini pci on the motherboard.

Cheers fellas

You will need some antennas connected to the card. They can be found at ebay

wow cool thanks guys, I will try e tape trick. Do i actualy get a piece tape and just cover that pin? I wont cause any damage to my laptop will I?

the only risk I see is that the little piece of tape can go off and get stuck inside the connector. Didnt happen to me though.

The best way to do it is to stick a 'big' piece of tape and then cut it out in a way that you leave only a little over the pin 20.

good luck

You will need some antennas connected to the card. They can be found at ebay

thanks for the tip but do pardon me for being a dummy here.

what kinda antenna ? for power or reception like those found attached to the PCI wireless card?

thanks again!

BlackCH,

Here's a how to on taping pins. Yes, I know it is for graphics cards but the taping method is sound and I have used it myself many times. Just go slow (stiches SUCK!). Good Luck.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

Nik

yeah, thats what I meant. I did it that last year with a fx5200 from PC on G4.... with the mini PCI-e card is the same, but everything is smaller...

thanks for the tip but do pardon me for being a dummy here.

what kinda antenna ? for power or reception like those found attached to the PCI wireless card?

thanks again!

the ones I know looks like this (for laptop):

http://cgi.ebay.at/WLAN-Antennen-Antenne-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

if you use it on a desktop you can put the anttenas somewere inside the case (like the old G4)

Hi again people,

After further research, i found out that in order to use this card in a desktop, u have to buy a mini pcie adapter for the mobo so it makes it pretty expensive. I've decided to go wired.

Cheers fellas!

shure, like 100 $