XP on IDE / OSX on AHCI problem

toramoi

16 posts in this topic

Hi !

The Problem : There are XP on one drive, and OSX 10.5 on another one. XP boots only if I switch " Configure SATA as" to IDE, while OSX boots only if I switch SATA to AHCI mode. Is there some way 2 get rid of this annoying switching ? I was looking around 2 solve it, found some tips ( IOATAfamily.kext tweaking ), but no success. Please, help !

God bless this forum...

P.S. The trick with chain0 is done already, which gives me holy " waiting for root device " message ( AHCI mode ).

You could download your motherboard's AHCI drivers to floppy and re-install XP while in AHCI mode. When the XP installer is booting, select the (i believe it's F6) option to add third-party drivers, and load the AHCI drivers off your floppy. Or you could upgrade XP to Vista, which has built-in AHCI support. I don't believe there is a way to do it without re-installing XP.

Yeah, i saw it somewhere, was trying to do the stuff, but it was really NOT looking like nOOb stuff ))) So I stopped at halfway, because was not sure what am I doing; This got me a week to install 10.5, so I realized, if I continue, this can mess the whole thing up...

Thx thefinalprohecy & nikkonut !

Thx ! OMG, lotta "programming" for me, da noobiest of noobs )) Anyway, I'll give it a try... pray before )))

... 15 min later ...I'm following the tuto, and stucked at this :

Run the installer with the -a switch to extract the files. This will NOT install the software, just extract the files. Follow the prompts as if you were installing the software:

Code:iata76_enu.exe -a

I just don't get it, where to type this code ((( downloaded the mentioned .exe installer, saved to desktop. what then ((( please, guide me a bit !God bless this forum !

.... Sorry, just did it well... Now doing the rest of procedure...

You either add AHCI support to XP, or IDE/ATA support to OSX.

Telling us your hardware and especially the controllers where your drives are connected would be useful.

If it's an intel chipset, either install the matrix intel driver reboot and set to AHCI (no need to reinstall windows !).

To enable IDE support in OSX open /IOATAFamily.kext/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA/Contents/Info.plist locate the relevant IOKitPersonality.

eg. if you have ICH8 :

ICH8 Serial ATA

CFBundleIdentifier

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA

Controller Name

ICH8 SATA

IOClass

AppleIntelPIIXATARoot

IOPCIPrimaryMatch

0x28108086 0x28208086

IOProbeScore

IOProviderClass

IOPCIDevice

PCS Port Map

kgGTAZICkwKSBJMEkgiTCA==

Serial ATA

Supported Transfer Modes

0x3f061d

And add/correct the device ID to match yours.

If you don't have a patched IOATAFamily.kext you'll only have a few IOKitpersonalities, missing yours. If so, search for a patched one in the forum.

Hi, thanx ! Tried first method - XP says, that my rig doesn't support matrix intel driver installation.

I have ICH8 2 port SATA controller 2825 and ICH8 4 port SATA controller 2820. Will try the second method from yr post, krazubu, thanx...

My rig is :INTEL DG965SS / Intel Core 2 DUO 1.86 / Nvidia GeForce 8600GT " Palit " / Audio Sigmatel 9227 / PS2 keyb / SATA DVD Toshiba / 2 SATA HDs.

----Successful install of Leopard 10.5 using AMD (!) patched DVD. To make it run solid as rock, I deleted Natit, applied NVinstaller 3.1, patched 9227 codec. Had problem in login window with PS2 keyboard ( no presence ), managed to apply a patch using Kalyway DVD ( which is not useful with complete OSX installation in my case ).Intel 82566 Ethernet doesn't work, and, perhaps, won't. Have to exchange to some other card.

----Leo runs great, all apps are working at full.

-----you'll only have a few IOKitpersonalities, missing yours. If so, search for a patched one in the forum.----what is IOKit personalities ? <_<

No luck again... Added 2820 and 2825 to kext, as was told. Added SATA 4 port serial, as missing personality ( am I wrong? ). Still waiting for boot device again...

BTW, after all these tricks with kexts I can see in Finder my XP drive ))) Does it mean, that I'm in a right direction ?

i followed these instructions to make my windows boot with ahci mode turned on in bios on gigabyte p35-ds3l (ich9)

it is really simple, just follow the guide precisely.

this topic has guides for ich8r and ich9r (just a matter of different device ids)

also, if any of you here suffer from only-2-sata-ports-visible-in-ahci-mode problem in osx, cyclonefr has found some new kext that fix that - all 4 ports visible in ahci mode on my gigabyte p35-ds3l now.

winich9ahci.gif

osxich9ahci.gif

• 3 weeks later...

hi again ! )managed to start both OS while in IDE mode. But only if ONE hard (e.g. one OS ) is attached. Chain0 is placed where it should be, so if I start from XP HD, this prompts me to choose OS. But it is useless, 'cause the OSX HD is not attached. If I attach both OS HDs, system stucks at BIOS loading...+ when in OSX, I go to Sys Prefs/Startup disk - there is no disk at all + in disk utility the OSX HD "mount" button is greyed out. And finally, when I'm typing fdisk -e /dev/ridsk1 in terminal, this gives me " access denied ".Help me, please, there should be some easy way to solve it... Dual Boot is all I need now the days )))God bless this forum !

if your windows boots only with one disk attached and not with two, it means your boot disk settings in bios are incorrect.

attach your second drive, go to bios and put your windows disk higher in boot priority.

if that doesn't work, use some utility bootcd (hiren is a great choice) and set your windows partition active with one of the partition manager tools.

then your chain0 might work, but only if you use mbr partition type for your osx disk.

for dualbooting with guid partition type you'll need grub.

• 1 month later...
this topic has guides for ich8r and ich9r (just a matter of different device ids)

Thanks zarac, I followed the guide in the topic and succeeded. Now both WinXP and MacOS work at full capacity) The problem was that with AHCI enabled - MacOS X gets all SATAs working (DVD and other HDDs), but WinXP does not boot. This solved it.