10.5.5 iDeneb 1.3 install guide (for custom system)

fayze

150 posts in this topic

video card is an old school nvidia mx440 (64mb) card but worked on the old JAs (4.7) dvds

I can get all the way through an install but can't boot into the os

As far as patching the DVD they were already patchted

The512 is disabled by Amd from the factory.

okay heres a zip with a modified boot.plist and the hex string that it contains, just for your reference. try booting to disc and dropping this in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.

nvidia7950.zip

I don't know how to but those file to the destination!?

* I tried getting access by the terminal in the installation but it can't mount any other hard drives other than mac!!

* I tried using ubuntu live operating system but it keep tilling me the mac hard drive is read-only even by root!!

* I thout burning the file to an empty CD but the mac installation won't let you eject the dvd!!

if there is any other options please let me know..

best regards,,

mohio:

you need to format a jump drive with hfs+ so that the disc will auto mount it for you. then you can use it to copy the files off of onto your leopard drive.

totty:

im not quite sure what the problem with your setup could be. theirs not much similar between outs. the k8n could be giving problems, or the graphics card. some searches say that disabling sata on the mobo could fix the problems, while other results say that the next kexts after ocspd are graphics ones, so that would mean something could be going on with your graphics card.

and guys please put your specs in your sig, it will help for quick reference for me and everyone else, so no one has to search back through your posts to find it.

hello all,i have asked this question a couple of times but no one seems to know because only one person has replied,he said it was not possible,but he has no idea what he is talking about.if you only have negative things to post,just don't reply.help would be greatly acknowledged.

ps.i already know my amd sempron is compatible

amd sempron 3000+,400gb,1.5gb crucial ram,nvidia geforce4 mx videocard,nforce2 audio

EVERYONE JUST FORGET I ASKED THAT QUESTION AND GO BACK TO WHAT YOU WERE DOING.

I GUESS NO ONE OTHER THAN ME HAS A 5 OR 6 YEAR OLD COMPUTER,SORRY TO DISTURB EVERYONE.

Your hardware is OLD

Your attitude is BAD

Maybe this is why you don't get help

2x320GB HDD

4GB RAM DDR2 667

ATI 1950PRO

ASUS P5LD2-SE

C2D E4400 @ 2Ghz

This is my config, I don't have problems installing this Leo release, but I wondered what will be best to choose from the customizing options, cause I tick only " PC EFI V9 " and " Kernel 9.2.0 ToH " and it works good, but maybe I need something more ? Actually I have one problem, when I turn off the PC and I turn it on again, the bios screen freezes, not every time, hardly ever but it does, anyone having idea why this happens ?

Thank you very much !

yeah that happens on a vaio i installed iDeneb on. just randomly freezes. dont know why, because the bios is below the os, so it shouldnt make a difference what youre booting, the bios shouldnt be affect. you could always try more up to date kernels with your system, maybe 9.4 stagexnu or the voodoo kernel.

mohio:

you need to format a jump drive with hfs+ so that the disc will auto mount it for you. then you can use it to copy the files off of onto your leopard drive.

Sorry fayze for late replay..

I don't know how "format a jump drive with hfs+" because if i make an empty cd then i can't get to the terminal of the leopard installation..

if there a way to format partition to mount it with HFS+ please let me know..

or if there a way to modify an ideneb copy by Windows or linux, because all the tools i tried don't show all the file, and then the modification fail!!

by the way I download the iPC 10.5.6 to give it a try but after the installation and during the boot its show the message:

"disk2s2: data underrun"

after that the system freeze!

any idea?!

sorry for bothering you with to many questions

best regards,,

after a fresh install is it better to let it boot normal or to f8 and then -f ???

i found something i hadnt checked on the install that i prolly needed (agpgart) cause i do have an agp card.

now as for kernels...should i install the standard vanilla or go with speed/sleep/ or the the XNU kernel??

yeah i have that problem with my laptop. follow these steps and you should be good to go.

Setup Loop

`````````

> boot -s

> /sbin/mount -uw /

> passwd root

> enter password

> touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

> shutdown –r now

> boot -x

> login root and setup account

> reboot into new account

Well , i have this problem too but i cannot understand most of the steps you put there . You can explain me like at n00bs ? :)

L.E. PS : I see that i need to introduce some of those in the so called "F8" . Well I need to boot everytime with rd=disk0s1

I don't know how format a jump drive with hfs+

to recap, you can get the iDeneb to finish, but then it blue screens on the restart to the newly installed mac os, correct?

if so, it might be caused by your graphics card. take a flash drive and empty it to a computer somewhere. then plug it in and boot to disc. go to disk util and format the flash drive with Mac OS Journaled.......... i just realized you need 2 macs for this procedure. so if you do have access to another mac, format the jump drive to Mac OS Journaled. then copy the com.apple.Boot.plist i gave you onto it. then with the jump drive inserted, boot to disc again. go to terminal:

cd /Volumes/Leopard/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

mv com.apple.Boot.plist com.apple.Boot.plist.orig

cp /Volumes/yourjumpdrive/com.apple.Boot.plist .

that will backup the original boot.plist, and copy over the modified one. there is a way to do this in single user mode without the disc and without formatting a jump drive to hfs, but i have never figured out the mount command. im going to look into it now again though and see if i cant get it working correctly. ill post back when i figure it out.

by the way I download the iPC 10.5.6 to give it a try but after the installation and during the boot its show the message:

"disk2s2: data underrun"

any idea?!

sorry, not really sure, ive never had that error before, or used iPC 10.5.6 for that matter.

after a fresh install is it better to let it boot normal or to f8 and then -f ???

i found something i hadnt checked on the install that i prolly needed (agpgart) cause i do have an agp card.

now as for kernels...should i install the standard vanilla or go with speed/sleep/ or the the XNU kernel??

usually booting normal is fine. if you have a problem you should always boot -v to debug. -f only forces all kexts to be loaded, and is really only useful when you are swapping out or installing new kexts.

yeah you definitely need agpgart for agp cards. that might fix all your issues.

as far as kernels go, its more of a preference if they all work. some people need specially modified kernels to allow their computer to sleep/shutdown/restart. vanilla is good if you want to make updates safer, but modded ones are usually fine. i would go with stagexnu for the install, and if it works keep it. if you have problems with your lan like i did, try switching to the voodoo kernel after you install.

Well , i have this problem too but i cannot understand most of the steps you put there . You can explain me like at n00bs ?

first, you can correctly install mac, right? these steps are after its installed. almost all of the steps are terminal commands. at the darwin bootloader, hit a key to enter boot options. its the same place you would put the 'rd=disk0s1' at. just put a -s in front of it. this boots you into single user mode, which is basically a terminal only shell, without graphics and it skips lots of kexts that might be causing problems for you. so your boot options would look something like '-s rd=disk0s1'. then you hit enter. some text will scroll, then you get a prompt. type all the commands, then when the computer starts back up, put -x instead of -s. this is like safe mode in windows. login with the username root and the password you chose. now go to system preferences and set up a user account for yourself. then restart normally, and you should be able to login on the new account you made.

yay i did it! i figured out how to mount fat32 flash drives in single user! took an hour to piece together the correct mount command but i finally got it.

mohio, this is what you need to do. make sure the flash drive is formatted fat32 and has the modified boot.plist in the root.

> boot -s, do not plug in usb drive yet
> /sbin/mount -uw /
> mkdir /Volumes/usb
> ls /dev/rdisk?
make note of what the numbers are, plug in flash drive.
>ls /dev/rdisk?
find which one is the new disk. in my case, i only had rdisk0 at first, then rdisk1 appeared when i plugged in my flash drive, so i will use disk1s1 when mounting. the 's1' is the partition, and most usbs only have one partition.
> mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/usb
this tells the system to mount disk 1 section 1 at /Volumes/usb. now we can get the boot.plist
> cd /Volumes/Leopard/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
> mv com.apple.Boot.plist com.apple.Boot.plist.orig
backs up original boot.plist
> cp /Volumes/usb/com.apple.Boot.plist .
copies the modified boot.plist to the current directory. notice the space then period at the end.
> chown -R root:wheel *
> chmod -R 755 *
fix permissions
> shutdown -r now
reboots the computer.

that should be all. hopefully it will fix your blue screen problem.

first, you can correctly install mac, right? these steps are after its installed. almost all of the steps are terminal commands. at the darwin bootloader, hit a key to enter boot options. its the same place you would put the 'rd=disk0s1' at. just put a -s in front of it. this boots you into single user mode, which is basically a terminal only shell, without graphics and it skips lots of kexts that might be causing problems for you. so your boot options would look something like '-s rd=disk0s1'. then you hit enter. some text will scroll, then you get a prompt. type all the commands, then when the computer starts back up, put -x instead of -s. this is like safe mode in windows. login with the username root and the password you chose. now go to system preferences and set up a user account for yourself. then restart normally, and you should be able to login on the new account you made.

Ok ... i figured it out , thank you .

But it's like i'am some sort of big bad luck .... Without DVD it gives me the Kernel Panic with "16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster I0 buffer headers"

With the DVD , it gives me again that loop account seting ....

And i can't type any password after "psswd root" . I can only press enter ;):(

I'm thinking that i really need a modded BIOS :P

try reinstalling again, and make sure all the packages are correct. ive had the io buffer error before on a different comp, but forgot how to fix it. you may be right and need to turn off something in your bios.

when you do passwd root, you hit enter, then it should bring you to a new line and ask for a password. its not going to show, it will be hidden. is that not what happens?

try reinstalling again, and make sure all the packages are correct. ive had the io buffer error before on a different comp, but forgot how to fix it. you may be right and need to turn off something in your bios.

when you do passwd root, you hit enter, then it should bring you to a new line and ask for a password. its not going to show, it will be hidden. is that not what happens?

I put the HDD in AHCI , I enabled Plug & Play , I disabled Marvell IDE , Suspend mode to S3 only , disabled FireWire , dis . CPU TM , dis . Max CPU ID , dis . CIE suport and Exec disable bit enabled .....

I instaled it booting with -x cpus=1 and then , how i said , rd=disk0s1 in "daily use"

The password line .... its :\ root (or boot,i can't remeber) ? And the ofcourse a blank space where i should put the pasword...

I realy want to put Mac on now because i can admit that i ;) everything up and i formated everything(because th win. wouldn't want to install/repair/especially boot) , exept only one partition (had 5) with games when probably would work any Windows , to HFS+ .... Damn :)

Hi All!

I successfully installed this distro a few days ago, got my network card recognized as airport and everything seemed ok from scratch. Now a few days later I found two problems that I could use some help with.

1. My computer doesn't shut down properly. It goes dark and quite silent alright, but I still have lights in the leds of my case, and I can here the cpu fan spinning. This also happens if I'm not using the computer for a while (sleep?)

I do seem to remember that there was a choice - during the customization part of the install - for computers that don't want to shutdown (or maybe I'm hallucinating) that I don't remember the name of. I searched around and found a few answers that I'm not sure if they apply to my situation or not so I thought I'd ask in this iDeneb-thread as well.

- Can I add this thing somehow without reinstalling?

- Any other advice for shutdowns?

2. Second one is about graphics. It seems like every time I change screen resolution (or the update frequency) my screen goes blue and I have to reset. After this reboot my screen has the new properties, but it feels a bit dull having to go through the reset when making changes.

- Ideas?

My computer is this:

Asus P5KPL/1600

Core 2 Duo E8400

Geforce 8500GT 512mb (Running with one of the NVidia options in the custom setup)

D-Link DWL-G520 Rev B4 (working perfectly totally out of the box)

Win XP on a SATA disk

Leopard is installed on a PATA drive.

I switch between the two OS's in Bios Setup

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

/gosa

I put the HDD in AHCI , I enabled Plug & Play , I disabled Marvell IDE , Suspend mode to S3 only , disabled FireWire , dis . CPU TM , dis . Max CPU ID , dis . CIE suport and Exec disable bit enabled .....

I instaled it booting with -x cpus=1 and then , how i said , rd=disk0s1 in "daily use"

The password line .... its :\ root (or boot,i can't remeber) ? And the ofcourse a blank space where i should put the pasword...

i dont really know anything about all those bios options, cause ive never had to mess with mine. and sorry, but im lost. to make sure we are on the same page, it installs completely, correct? then loops on the account setup, right? so then to get around it, can you set the password for root or not?

1. My computer doesn't shut down properly. It goes dark and quite silent alright, but I still have lights in the leds of my case, and I can here the cpu fan spinning. This also happens if I'm not using the computer for a while (sleep?)

- Can I add this thing somehow without reinstalling?

- Any other advice for shutdowns?

2. Second one is about graphics. It seems like every time I change screen resolution (or the update frequency) my screen goes blue and I have to reset. After this reboot my screen has the new properties, but it feels a bit dull having to go through the reset when making changes.

in mac you can open up a terminal and browse the disk to copy out a package and then run it. once you put the disc in, open up terminal and do 'cd /Volumes/iDeneb\ v1.3\ 10.5.5/System/Installation/Packages/Patches'. that will put you in the root of the patches folder. then you can cd into each of the sections to find the one youre looking for. patches/fix/power_off fix is the one you might need i think. so 'cd Fix/' then 'cp -r PowerOff_Fix.pkg ~/Desktop/' to copy it onto your desktop. then you can exit the terminal and run the package. other than that, you might be able to change kernels to fix the power problem. like the sleep kernel from... someone. modbin or toh maybe, i dont remember. im using voodoo kernel right now.

for graphics, you could try to use OSX86Tools to make a hex string and change your boot.plist. also, you might be able to use NVKush. but im not sure what that does anymore, i just remember its an alternative to natit.

and put that info in your sig, its very helpful for reference when you post asking for help.

i dont really know anything about all those bios options, cause ive never had to mess with mine. and sorry, but im lost. to make sure we are on the same page, it installs completely, correct? then loops on the account setup, right? so then to get around it, can you set the password for root or not?

Ohhh sorry ... my english is {censored} ... I'm romainian what can i do . I solved it . Pheew ....

I needed a BIOS mod ..... NOW IT WORKS!!! I'm very happy , but now i'll se your first post a figure everything about LAN and Audio....It's no hope to run my Creative Audigy , no ?

yeah no worries, i could tell english wasnt your first language. just gets confusing sometimes.

im not sure about Creative Audigy, im using the onboard sound, its enough for me. so what exactly did you do to fix it to make it boot? im sure someone else might need the tip.

so what exactly did you do to fix it to make it boot? im sure someone else might need the tip.

Well I advice you guys to make your Bios modded from here : http://osrom.net/biosmod/

Even if it is old for my board it works ! And it's enough for me . (from 1003 to 803)

Then I just followed your tips . I'm at the first boot ... i'm trying to do all the stuff to make my mobo's sound work and especially the internet . I'll keep in touch :(