Can Hackintosh run two identical video cards?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Psykonaut Hitman

Psykonaut Hitman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been running Kalyway 10.5.1 on my P35-DS4 rev2.1 with one 7300GT Sonic 256mb DDR3. Recently, I got an exact video card and installed it in the second pci-e slot so that I can install more than 2 monitors + 2 projectors. I cant seem to make it work as I am having boot problems.

What would you guys recommend? Has anybody successfully installed more than one videocard on any hackintosh?

I've been googling and cant seem to find the answer. Please help.

wahwahman89

wahwahman89

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
You can have two cards I believe, but you need to choose the right one in System Preferences as far as I know. What you CAN'T do it have them SLI'd.
Good luck.

carlos228

carlos228

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have two MSI NX 7600 256 MByte cards and 4 monitors working (DVI). Driver is NVInject version on the Kaly DVD. Board is P35-DS4, version is kaly 10.5.2 + graphics update 1. Important: in Bios the preferred card has to set to PEG2, otherwise black screen. It MUST be 256 MByte cards, I tried a 512 MByte card first and it doesn´ t work. 512 MByte cards needs to be patched.

Psykonaut Hitman

Psykonaut Hitman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have two MSI NX 7600 256 MByte cards and 4 monitors working (DVI). Driver is NVInject version on the Kaly DVD. Board is P35-DS4, version is kaly 10.5.2 + graphics update 1. Important: in Bios the preferred card has to set to PEG2, otherwise black screen. It MUST be 256 MByte cards, I tried a 512 MByte card first and it doesn´ t work. 512 MByte cards needs to be patched.

Carlos,

Thanks for the valuable advise guys. I dont intend to run any crossfire or SLI in my system. I intend to do what you were able to accomplish but using a cheaper pair of 7300GT Sonic 256mb DDR3.

I'm also using a P35-DS4 rev2.1 running Kalyway 10.5.1. And yeah I did try installing a 512mb 7300 card and didnt work for me either. I actually have a very stable machine using my current card, but then when I installed an identical card on the second pci-e slot, my hackintosh would hang during boot.

Im gonna try fiddling with the bios first and see if that works. If that fails, my second option would probably to do it the hardway-- which is to reinstall Kalyway with the two graphic cards installed already.

I'm gonna keep you posted with my progress.

Psykonaut Hitman

Psykonaut Hitman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!

I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.

Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!

Thanks Carlos!

mavvert

mavvert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!

I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.

Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!

Thanks Carlos!

I can confirm this works with non-identical cards as well :)
Running 3 displays without NVinject or other kexts, just EFI strings.
The key is to set the BIOS to PEG2, otherwise it will boot to a black screen.

Took some screenshots with 3 displays connected (one is still a {censored} CRT though, just ignore that :D ) :
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MrFlow

MrFlow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been trying hard to get two ATI HD 2600 XT (link to vendor) working. Using natit one card works like a charm - the other is also shown but doesn't detect any displays. If I then change the boot order in the BIOS the other card works and the first one doesn't detect any displays.

I'm using a Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.

I've been trying for ages to get this up and running. Tried modifying strings and kext and all it does is crash the system. So could anybody please help me?

Thanks!!

I've attached screen grabs for both my gfx cards system profiles. BTW. The "slot" field is empty on both cards.

Attached Files

peach-os

peach-os

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
I have two cards working with the p5wh. read here http://forum.insanel...howtopic=104266

crna

crna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

<br />SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!<br /><br />I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.<br /><br />Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!<br /><br />Thanks Carlos!<br /><br /><br />

<br /><br /><br />
Thanks for this info. I did exactly this and it worked for me. I have nvidia gtx 285 in PEG1 and 8500GT in PEG2. Not the ideal situation for me, but at least it works. I hope this issue can be fixed one day.

Dalton63841

Dalton63841

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I have searched and really can't find any information on the subject, so Im going to ask here. I am about to build a new hackintosh, my build is listed here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=174171 What I want to know is can I run SLI with two identical vid cards in mac?

Thunderclap

Thunderclap

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm trying to get an nVidia GTX 260 and nVidia 9800 GT to work together (primarily for PhysX in Windows). When I try to boot into OS X 10.6.1 though the system locks during boot. I've read through this thread and people are recommending the main card be in "PEG2" in the BIOS. What is this? Does this mean the main video card (the GTX 260 in my case) needs to be seated in the PCI-E_2 slot? I'm just a little confused and would appreciate clarification. Thanks!

derpuma

derpuma

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
SOLVED thx to aquamac

I am not successful with two 9600GT 512MB in my ASUS p6t6 Board...
I would like to get some help for that they run under 10.6.2
I need a 3rd Monitor... :rolleyes:
Who can help?

Jocelyn84

Jocelyn84

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

SOLVED thx to aquamac

I am not successful with two 9600GT 512MB in my ASUS p6t6 Board...
I would like to get some help for that they run under 10.6.2
I need a 3rd Monitor... :(
Who can help?

What was the solution?? I've trying to get two 260's running, and I've changed to peg2, but after all the verbose stuff my monitor goes blank. I then moved the dvi to my top card (peg 1) and it's installing, but a chunk of the screen is grey lol. Anyway, just wondering what the solution aquamac gave you was.

benualson

benualson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'm trying to get an nVidia GTX 260 and nVidia 9800 GT to work together (primarily for PhysX in Windows). When I try to boot into OS X 10.6.1 though the system locks during boot. I've read through this thread and people are recommending the main card be in "PEG2" in the BIOS. What is this? Does this mean the main video card (the GTX 260 in my case) needs to be seated in the PCI-E_2 slot? I'm just a little confused and would appreciate clarification. Thanks!

I have this same setup with my cards....any suggestions???

Thanks,

Ben

peach-os

peach-os

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
you have to set bios to use slot "peg2" at boot - therefore the card in peg2 is the main one

benualson

benualson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

you have to set bios to use slot "peg2" at boot - therefore the card in peg2 is the main one

hrmm...i cannot seam to find that setting....what does it actually do? my gtx 260 is in the 1st pci xpress x16 slot

thanks for the quick help!

peach-os

peach-os

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
your should read the forum rules - you have to post your hardware. with this info it´s much easier to help.

gigabyte and asus boards have this setting in bios. other boards i didn´t test.

benualson

benualson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

your should read the forum rules - you have to post your hardware. with this info it´s much easier to help.

gigabyte and asus boards have this setting in bios. other boards i didn´t test.

Woops...it wasn't disabled, sorry!

peach-os

peach-os

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
you have an evga sponsorship? ;)

don´t know about evga boards. as far as I remember there was a DSDT workaround for boards not having this option.
please someone correct if I´m wrong - search for it. are your seperate strings working?

benualson

benualson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

you have an evga sponsorship? ;)

don´t know about evga boards. as far as I remember there was a DSDT workaround for boards not having this option.
please someone correct if I´m wrong - search for it. are your seperate strings working?

hmmm...

All I need is for one GPU to work...I am not looking for dual monitor support...it seems that I cannot find the correct driver config...or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy