How to get 2-Finger (or 1-finger) scrolling working on MOST laptop trackpads

ranova

296 posts in this topic

I actually think 1finger scrolling is much better on non-macbook trackpads. The macbook trackpads are HUGE, on the other hand the m1330's trackpad is like a quarter of macbooks :).

Im really used to it now, so move the pointer and click with the tip of your finger and scroll with the bottom of your finger. works really well!

it working now, but it take time for trial and error to fix the pointer speed to works with scrolling.

- after install and copy all the needed files to their loacation, the pointer is moving extremly fast.

- change parameter of zthres... down to 60: scrolling ok but pointer speed too slow

- change to 75 scrolling is difficult to control, pointer ok but somtime pausing.

And I totaly agree

I actually think 1finger scrolling is much better on non-macbook trackpads.

Anyway Thx, I do have a good time to try this. :)

it working now, but it take time for trial and error to fix the pointer speed to works with scrolling.

- after install and copy all the needed files to their loacation, the pointer is moving extremly fast.

- change parameter of zthres... down to 60: scrolling ok but pointer speed too slow

- change to 75 scrolling is difficult to control, pointer ok but somtime pausing.

And I totaly agree

Anyway Thx, I do have a good time to try this. ;)

right now Property: speedScale is set to Value: 1600, which, I believe is the DPI. You can turn that down to make it slower. But I recommend you go in the mouse\keyboard settings in System Preferences and turn down the track speed (mine is set to half way)

ranova, when you modify the zAcceptThreshold directly in the file does it prevent to load the Preference Pane?

I try to load it but is stuck at "loading FFScroll"

That happened to me when I did not manually copy over the plist files to both dirs and when I edited both under the ALPS and Synaptics section, I mustve typed something in wrong. Redownload the plist file and put them back in both directories and edit only under your section. Its kind of picky, FFScroll is...

Hi, after a day my scrolling function not going smoothly any more. I need to touch the pad for 3, 4, 5 sec to be able to scroll with 1 finger, what parameter I need to change to make it more active (faster recognize scroll function) when i touch the pad and move my finger up, down (vertical scroll), left, or right (horizontal scroll)?

And I got the info during verbose mode:

Alkor: Starting.

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Chosen model GMA 950

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting built-in=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL,HasPanel=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL,SelfRefreshSupported=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL,NumFramebuffers=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL,NumDisplays=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL01,Depth=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL01,Pipe=<data not shown>

Feb 23 19:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: Alkor: Setting AAPL01,DataJustify=<data not shown>

Is it correct loading for FFscroll data driver?

Wow, just wow - an easy to use tutorial not having to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what's going on. Well written and pretty easy to use for novices.

Only thing I really need from my Dell XPS M1330 now is my Wifi cover to be fixed (I have a Dell Truemobile 1490 card just waiting to replace the Intel card but the screw is completely stripped!!! ARGH!!!! I've been waiting forever a week to get the bottom part of my computer replaced under warranty.)

2.) VGA out -- ;) still not working with this laptop and GMA X3100, the screen gives me completely garbled display. However, with Kalway 10.5 DVD the external VGA works just fine, but the internal display doesn't. SOOO CLOSE yet so far.

At least on the m1330, it doesn't seem to matter whether you have 1 or 2 fingers on, but just how hard you press on the trackpad to start scrolling.

You really should make that in bold text at the top! Besides that, yay! Works for me on my Latitude D820, although I still have a little tweaking and/or getting used to pushing hard to scroll to do. Thanks!

70 is the good number on a Vostro 1500 :)

I have a little annoyance: since the driver update it's much difficult to tap to click, i have to concentrate and keep my hand incredibly still to make a tap - is there a parameter to adjust it to make it easier, more sensitive?

Well I installed the package and followed all the steps, everything seems in place, trackpad became much more sensetive, but I dont think scrolling is working atleast when I try to do it its not. am I not doing it right ? I`m on Dell e1505

Well it kinda works, but the way it scrolls is kinda unusable. WHen I press the finger on it, it just kinda starts going crazy..... DO I have to change the value in both places ?

Had to uninstall the mouse is a unusable too sensitive...... and starts scrolling while just using the mouse normally :D

Hi, after a day my scrolling function not going smoothly any more. I need to touch the pad for 3, 4, 5 sec to be able to scroll with 1 finger, what parameter I need to change to make it more active (faster recognize scroll function) when i touch the pad and move my finger up, down (vertical scroll), left, or right (horizontal scroll)?Is it correct loading for FFscroll data driver?
that verbose mode looks like it is for your graphics display driver.anyways to change the sensitivity on acceptance of scroll is to change the value of zAcceptThreshold in both horizontal and vertical either under ALPS or Synaptics. Make the value lower to be more sensitive. also try moving the sensitivity slider up or down in the FFScroll app for both vertical and horizontal, read the tutorial again, as I have updated it with how to change settings
70 is the good number on a Vostro 1500 :offtopic: I have a little annoyance: since the driver update it's much difficult to tap to click, i have to concentrate and keep my hand incredibly still to make a tap - is there a parameter to adjust it to make it easier, more sensitive?
yea, it is difficult to tap now, but it is a trade off for scrolling function. You can try editing the tap threshold, Property: tapTolerence , I havent tried tweaking with that yet. Its a good thing there are two buttons on your laptops for the trackpad :)How I tap is exactly how I move the mouse on the trackpad, use the very tip of my finger to tap\move mouse, while the bottom of my finger is to scroll. Tap lightly and tap fast.
Well I installed the package and followed all the steps, everything seems in place, trackpad became much more sensetive, but I dont think scrolling is working atleast when I try to do it its not. am I not doing it right ? I`m on Dell e1505Well it kinda works, but the way it scrolls is kinda unusable. WHen I press the finger on it, it just kinda starts going crazy..... DO I have to change the value in both places ?Had to uninstall the mouse is a unusable too sensitive...... and starts scrolling while just using the mouse normally ;)
did you change the tracking speed in the mouse\keyboard settings? try turning it down more than halfway. If scrolling is going crazy, you have to edit the zThreshold mentioned above. Try making it higher.

Tap lightly and tap fast.did you change the tracking speed in the mouse\keyboard settings? try turning it down more than halfway. If scrolling is going crazy, you have to edit the zThreshold mentioned above. Try making it higher.

Changed the speed all the way down, its still sensitive, scrolling crazy is kinda in control, but no meter what value I put in the zThreshold it still tries to scroll in the most appropriate time, like its very sensitive....... I tried higher/lower had to finally uninstall(wify was going crazy)

Changed the speed all the way down, its still sensitive, scrolling crazy is kinda in control, but no meter what value I put in the zThreshold it still tries to scroll in the most appropriate time, like its very sensitive....... I tried higher/lower had to finally uninstall(wify was going crazy)

what was the highest you set the threshold to? the original poster of the settings had his all the way up to 135.

I have installed it on a Vostro 1700, but since the first reboot the trackpad will only move in the y = -x direction (in the direction of +ve y), just clicking on the trackpad buttons increments the -xy position.

Any help would be great

Thanks

I've got a problem with my vostro 1700 too.

Of course, I haven't done any backup of my appleps2controller.kext and now, my mouse just moves to the left and up angle, I can do any other move!

Could you explain me what's wrong? I've tried to reinstall the drivers and follow the tuto but it doesn't work

Please, help

ibm r60

kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2

after first reboot my trackpad became over-sensible. than i pressed "Fix errors", made one more reboot as it was told, and lost my tackpad... deamon started, but no any reaction. can't even click with trackpad buttons. I rolled back to backuped kext. ffscroll doesn't work with it (mean the original kext).

and now I'm trying to understand: should I forget about 2finger scrolling, or not all chances are lost?

Works for me pretty well with zAcceptThreshold at 135. Yeah, it's basically one-finger scroll, and it kills dragging windows for me (have to use physical left-click)...

I'm not sure whether I'll stick with it or go back to the old-fashioned spacebar/shift+spacebar scrolling.

Thanks for the great work!

ibm r60

kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2

after first reboot my trackpad became over-sensible. than i pressed "Fix errors", made one more reboot as it was told, and lost my tackpad... deamon started, but no any reaction. can't even click with trackpad buttons. I rolled back to backuped kext. ffscroll doesn't work with it (mean the original kext).

and now I'm trying to understand: should I forget about 2finger scrolling, or not all chances are lost?

Snoomy,

I ran into identical issues on my Lenovo T60p. Once I did get my trackpad working with the driver I could move it around for about 2-3 seconds, then the mouse cursor would freeze. I tried hooking up an external keyboard/mouse after this happened to restart the daemon, but no luck. The trackpad still wouldn't work. This happened after every successive restart.

I'm just using the sidebar in windows or just using Spacebar/Shift-spacebar...it sucks, but it'll have to do. I try to keep an external mouse handy for when I'm on the laptop at work, etc.

-P2

I've got a problem with my vostro 1700 too.

Of course, I haven't done any backup of my appleps2controller.kext and now, my mouse just moves to the left and up angle, I can do any other move!

Could you explain me what's wrong? I've tried to reinstall the drivers and follow the tuto but it doesn't work

Please, help

I am having the same problem on my Vostro 1400. I am curious what is up. The mouse also will "freak out" and register right/left clicks while scrolling in the up/left direction. Same issues with buttons as you. help!

Hi, i have installed this, and it works.

Just one issue. The mouse have become very shaky... when i hold my finger still on the touchpad the cursor is still moving around a small area. which makes it very hard to hit anything.

When i try to calibrate nothing happens when i press the done button.

Anyone who have fixed this issue?

I was experiencing the issue with the mouse freak out listed above. Now I tried to uninstall and it does not seem to work! My trackpad is still freaking out. I have removed FFScroll from my machine entirely and also replaces the one .kext it changed, still broke. HELP!