Acer Travelmate 4202WLMi (Intel Core Duo, oh yes)

EgoDeath

92 posts in this topic

I'm using the same thing, on the same audio chipset (apparently. Can you double check it's VEN:8384, DEV:7661), and I don't get Audio. Tried it with the 10.4.3 kext on the front page, but then I get the sound icon with no sound (whatever it's at).

Bah, I hate OSX when it's silent.

open terminal

do the following:

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions.disabled

cp -R /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

i don't follow entirely. is it safe to assume each line above is a new command in terminal? i ask because after i type "cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled," it gives me some {censored} about sytax basically...like 'this is how you're supposed to enter it'....and it does that after each "cp -r" command i type in.

i followed the directions exactly as far as i know, and it gave me the errors at boot saying the kexts were installed improperly. one other thing i might have done wrong is the 'your user name here' part...i believe my username is just my first name, but if i click the apple icon at the top, it says 'logout john brown'...so is that the real user name...and does it count the space between the name? thanks

S.h.a.r.p :

Yes each line is a new line in the terminal, and its all case sensitive btw, if you are still getting errors, copy and paste the lines into the terminal, and if still no go then come back here, hope you get it working

Chick:

Well, fully charged my 4202 will last about 3.2 hours with winxp (which i dumped) with osx its about 2.6 hours!

worth it though, especially so if you plan on getting the 8-Cell battery for the 4202 (lasts 5 hours or so).. i havent seen one for sale yet though... even though acer mention it on their website..

Anyway, get this laptop, its amazing (may be worth waiting for the new MacBooks to come out though..)

Anyway, get this laptop, its amazing (may be worth waiting for the new MacBooks to come out though..)

Well, im not sure where you are in the world. but in Canada the Macbookpro's are allready out, and theres a $1000 price differance. Low end macbookpro (with student discount) is $2415 CAD (with tax), and the Acer 4202 is $1380 CAD (with tax). Hence I'm also considering getting this laptop and trying osx86 on it. I'm just wondering about a few things still.

1- Could any of you tell me if you're having similar PMCIA problems as EgoDeath?

2- And has anyone gotten USB mass storage working yet? or can anyone confirm EgoDeath on this one?

3- Since the Wifi card it comes with doesn't work, has anyone tried a replacement? Can the wifi card even be removed/replaced i.e. is it onboard or minipci?

4- Has anyone had any luck with mic/line ins with the onboard audio? Or perhaps tried a usb card instead thats known to work?

Thanks.

Dre

Well, im not sure where you are in the world. but in Canada the Macbookpro's are allready out, and theres a $1000 price differance. Low end macbookpro (with student discount) is $2415 CAD (with tax), and the Acer 4202 is $1380 CAD (with tax). Hence I'm also considering getting this laptop and trying osx86 on it. I'm just wondering about a few things still.

1- Could any of you tell me if you're having similar PMCIA problems as EgoDeath?

2- And has anyone gotten USB mass storage working yet? or can anyone confirm EgoDeath on this one?

3- Since the Wifi card it comes with doesn't work, has anyone tried a replacement? Can the wifi card even be removed/replaced i.e. is it onboard or minipci?

4- Has anyone had any luck with mic/line ins with the onboard audio? Or perhaps tried a usb card instead thats known to work?

Thanks.

Dre

I think he was talking about the MacBook (not pro) which will replace the current G4 iBooks. Here in France the 4202 acer costs 1090 euros while the MacBook pro costs 1950 euros with the student discount.

If I had the money i'd buy the macbook pro : faster cpu (1.86 min vs 1.66 GHz), lighter, classier, and of course a fully fonctional OSX, but is it worth the price difference ? :blink:

I don't know if it's worth waiting for the macbook because IMO it'll be far too expensive for the horsepower, as it always is with apple. I'm a musician, so i run power-hungry software, but i'm also a student who cannot spend as much on a laptop :angry:

I've read in many places that acer laptops are not reliable. What do you think about it ?

djtrix: well i heard that apple want to use the centrino wifi (intel 3945 Wireless/Pro chipset) so we can just nick the kext's from them (if all goes to apples plan..exept their efforts to stop the likes of us..) and yes its a mini pci card, the tiny one lol, you wont have a problem with a usb sound card btw, so that is always a viable option.

Chick: yeah thats exactly what i was talking about, i live in the uk, my 4202 came to £759, i expect the MacBooks to be from £699 (Core Single not Duo)

There is something seriously amazing about apple laptops they feel amazing - its like thay are alive lol, my uncle has just ordered a MacBookPro 2.16GHz CoreDuo i already feel like i'm missing out (when it finally arrives im just going to pretend its his old G4 powerbook) i need one so badly lol, every little thing has been thought about on these babys.. student load springs to mind :guitar:

I work in a local small computer repair shop, we get alot of laptops coming in, tend to only see the older acer models among the ibm's/dell's.. (unless its user error, like dropping them or something) though saying that we dont get many of the newer models from any of the main manufacturers coming in with failed hardware, in my personal experience i favour acer over companies like dell, toshiba, not had any problems so far..

has anyone tried this yet? :2cents:

The new MINI solo or duo has the same chipset in them as the 4202, do you think it might be possible to copy the Extensions for the MINI and insert them in the acer 4202?

:blink:

right now i am not in the u.s. so i have to wait to buy the new MINI solo and give this idea a try. then Upgrade the Solo with a new CPU when i get to japan ;)

Is the Intel 3945ABG in this notebook a mini-PCI card?

I'm in the process of swapping the budled Intel mini-PCI wireless network card out of my Dell Inpsiron 6000 to replace it with a Gigabyte GN-WIAG02 (108Mb Model, $21), as discussed in this forum:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11199&st=0

Would this solution work to bring wireless to the 4202 as well?

djtrix: well i heard that apple want to use the centrino wifi (intel 3945 Wireless/Pro chipset) so we can just nick the kext's from them (if all goes to apples plan..exept their efforts to stop the likes of us..) and yes its a mini pci card, the tiny one lol, you wont have a problem with a usb sound card btw, so that is always a viable option.

Sweet! where did you hear this? and any idea on when its going to happen?

Thanks

Dre

Is the Intel 3945ABG in this notebook a mini-PCI card?

I'm in the process of swapping the budled Intel mini-PCI wireless network card out of my Dell Inpsiron 6000 to replace it with a Gigabyte GN-WIAG02 (108Mb Model, $21), as discussed in this forum:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11199&st=0

Would this solution work to bring wireless to the 4202 as well?

I have the 5672. The 3945ABG isn't a mini pci, it's pci express mini card. About half the size of mini pci. I was hoping, because I have a Atheros mini pci that worked fine on my other laptop.

I have the 5672. The 3945ABG isn't a mini pci, it's pci express mini card. About half the size of mini pci. I was hoping, because I have a Atheros mini pci that worked fine on my other laptop.

OK now im confused, is the 3945 "intigrated" wireless in the ACER4202 a minipci or pci express mini card? Eitherway is there a card that i can buy to replace it to get working wireless with this laptop+osx86? Which card is that?

I looked at the products at my local computer store and the only mini-pci card they have is the:

Intel Pro /Wireless 2915 MiniPCI Adapter 802.11A/B/G

I looked throught the HCL and didn't find this card anywhere, so either it hasn't been tested yet, or just doesn't work. Things are looking pretty shady about ever getting wireless working in osx on this notebook, especially considering the cardbus slot doesn't work, and apparently will never work.

[edit]

I looked further into the technical documentation for this laptop, the card in it is definitely a mini-pci, and not a pci express mini card. as for a working mini-pci card, i think im gonna try an Atheros based card, as they seem to work for most people, and is the chipset used in the ?Airport? cards. I found one on ebay for $70, the ATHEROS AR5006 XS. I did a bit more research about this card, and whats really sexy about it is that it can be used in monitor mode! so Wepcrack/Kismit/AirSnort here i come!

As soon as i purchase this laptop/mini-pci card I'll let ya'll know how well it works, or if i have any problems.

[edit]

Thanks,

Dre

Anybody have any ideas? Lovely experience in the O/S, but no wireless, bluetooth or audio - yet!

10.4.3 8f1111 (ADP) Patched the usual way

Intel Core Duo processor T2300/1.66ghz

Intel 945GM Express Chipset Worked fine from first boot

Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g) Not working

Intel High-Definition audio FIXED - see post below

There are two souls on offer in exchange for any help or pointers, thanks a lot in advance.

And iTunes is 'expired' apparently but we care less about that for the moment.

-------------------------

Edit: Audio Fixed!!

-------------------------

Ok everybody, awesome news: got audio working wonderfully. Well, wonderful in that it works (we don't seem to have any input yet, but volume control on the menu bar - preference pane doesn't work either) with output. I bet you wanna know how we did it eh? Well this is all thanks to pion at osx86 (his original post is here: http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=233&page=15 )

I've also included the file included with the post on that forum.

945G's Realtek ALC882 instructions for 10.4.3 (8f1111)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To get 2- channel sound you have to move AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions Folder and replace the AzaliaAudio with this one, repair permissions and enable sound in the bios.

Installation instructions

----------------------

Download the file

unzip the file to your desktop

open terminal

do the following:

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions.disabled

cp -R /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

then you're done!!!

reboot system

---------

Good luck everyone, let us know how you get on and next step: WIRELESS! Wohoo. Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG here...

I used these exact instuctions on my Acer 5672 Dual Core Notebook with 104.5 installed. It didn't enable the sound. I wonder if it's the 10.4.5?

it works for me in 10.4.5..

yeah djtrix, mine is that tiny mini pci card, so is it mini pci express or just mini pci?

i am too looking for a card that will a. fit and b. work ^_^

so i would be really gratefull on any feedback as to if that card of yours works (when it gets to you)

on the other note, i tried a usb bluetooth dongle today and it worked flawlessy (after a restart- its weird how nothing is hot-swappable anymore..)

Woot! so i finally decided on a laptop (after 2 years of holding off, mostly cause i couldn't afford it). and i bought the Acer 4202 of course :whistle:

Im currently downloading 10.4.5 prepatched... and after making a few dvds and partitions i should be well on my way to a tripple boot portable system........drooool........OSX!!!! im so f***ing excited!!!

Anyways, Ego, I talked to the dude at the computer store and he was trying to tell me that this laptop doesn't have a minipci cardslot at all, so im pretty confused now too. I'm gonna try to get Acer on the phone tomorrow to confirm the situation once and for all. Glad to hear the usb wifi works!! and As soon as i get everything else working in OSX i'll be trying my best to get us some working drivers for the onboard lan card, I do have some coding experiance, never in the osx environment, but i bet i could figure it out.

I'm not entirely eager about cracking open my brand new baby just yet... although that is also what i do for a side income (open electronics and fix em), so if it comes to that, i'm sure i'll enjoy every screw i take out.... f***ing bastards, i bet they used like 4 different sizes of torx, 3 allen keys, and super small philips screws.... oh no, wait... that was what APPLE used, hahahah the painful memories of upgrading my friends hdd in his ibook G4.

-Dre

it works for me in 10.4.5..

yeah djtrix, mine is that tiny mini pci card, so is it mini pci express or just mini pci?

i am too looking for a card that will a. fit and b. work :blink:

so i would be really gratefull on any feedback as to if that card of yours works (when it gets to you)

on the other note, i tried a usb bluetooth dongle today and it worked flawlessy (after a restart- its weird how nothing is hot-swappable anymore..)

Please help me find out what I am doing wrong then. I did the exact same thing and it's there. Wonder what the difference is?

Please help me find out what I am doing wrong then. I did the exact same thing and it's there. Wonder what the difference is?

At first i thought your problem might have been that you were using the 5672, note this thread is about the 4202. But TheMessiah seems to have gotten sound working on his 5672 with Egodeath's fix....

p.s. with your kext i now i have finally sound :D so thank you!! :(

So there really only is two options;

1) You're lying when you said you did the exact same thing, and you probably did something slightly different.

or

2) Contact TheMessiah and ask him what he has done differently than EgoDeaths Solution.. (note he has long since abandoned getting osx86 working on the 5672, and probably doesn't come in these forums much anymore, so i sugest sending him a private message)

Hope this helps,

Dre

Woot! so i finally decided on a laptop (after 2 years of holding off, mostly cause i couldn't afford it). and i bought the Acer 4202 of course :)

Im currently downloading 10.4.5 prepatched... and after making a few dvds and partitions i should be well on my way to a tripple boot portable system........drooool........OSX!!!! im so f***ing excited!!!

Anyways, Ego, I talked to the dude at the computer store and he was trying to tell me that this laptop doesn't have a minipci cardslot at all, so im pretty confused now too. I'm gonna try to get Acer on the phone tomorrow to confirm the situation once and for all. Glad to hear the usb wifi works!! and As soon as i get everything else working in OSX i'll be trying my best to get us some working drivers for the onboard lan card, I do have some coding experiance, never in the osx environment, but i bet i could figure it out.

I'm not entirely eager about cracking open my brand new baby just yet... although that is also what i do for a side income (open electronics and fix em), so if it comes to that, i'm sure i'll enjoy every screw i take out.... f***ing bastards, i bet they used like 4 different sizes of torx, 3 allen keys, and super small philips screws.... oh no, wait... that was what APPLE used, hahahah the painful memories of upgrading my friends hdd in his ibook G4.

-Dre

lol! that post got me buzzing! hehe, I hope you enjoy your new laptop as much as I am :D

Well let me know if there is anything I can do to help, my lan has been working out-of-the-box, so the no wifi issue hasnt been that much of a pain.. apart from the fact im ALLWAYS scared of it being yanked off a worktop or something high... (so much i decided to break the clip on the lan cable lol)

At the moment im trying to figure out why hot-swapping usb devices (im testing with my bluetooth dongle) isnt working - you have to restart for any new devices to be initialised, but I have a feeling that has something to do with why the kexts for mass storage devices fail to load at bootup.. ill have more info in a bit

Oh yeah, before I forget.. in every spec sheet I see for this laptop, I see it's max RAM capacity is 4GB, yet only 2 Ram slots and i dont see any 2GB ddr2 200 pin Sodimm sticks out there yet. Have any idea when/if we might be seeing them? because i want/NEED the whole 4GB/Dual core/OSX86-in-a-laptop sandwich

How do I "Enable Sound In Bios"...I did the above Kext file replacement with the script. All went well and then I repaired permissions but don't know how to enable sound in bios. I have Acer 5672 Dual Core Laptop.

Thanks

Leon

the acer laptop bios's i have come across are pretty bare in options, only things like boot drive order/security/power ect.

sorry I cant offer anymore things to try, im new to this OS, i can only help when it comes to the 4202 and the Ferrari 4005 (once im done with my 4202 that is.. hehe)

How do I "Enable Sound In Bios"...I did the above Kext file replacement with the script. All went well and then I repaired permissions but don't know how to enable sound in bios. I have Acer 5672 Dual Core Laptop.

Thanks

Leon

When the computer is booting up try F2, or DELETE, right when you see the ACER logo. that should get you into the BIOS, if it isn't a setting in that gui, then i think its probably always enabled at the BIOS level.

Egodeath, although i just finished downloading MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso i noticed some talk about MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2) i wonder if it will fix any of our problems? I think im gonna just try this 10.4.4 Myz disk for now, as i cannot possibly wait another 48 hours for a torrent.... lol

Dre