Time Machine - cant boot after full system restore

AlexEz

39 posts in this topic

Here it's what I have done... it's working!!!

1. Boot from iATKOS DVD and choose Restore from TimeMachine

2. Select the source and target and go ahead

3. Boot from HD: blinking cursor problem

4. Boot from Parted Magic Live CD

5. Flag the OS X partition as "boot"

6. Reboot from iATKOS DVD with F8 and -s

7. Run "darwin" command and follow the instructions

8. Boot from iATKOS DVD with F8 and -s

9. Flag Vista partition (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 -> flag 1 -> write -> quit)

10. Boot from Vista DVD and restore installation

11. Boot from iATKOS DVD with F8 and -s

12. Flag Mac OS X partition (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 -> flag 3 -> write -> quit)

13. Boot from HD

14. Mac OS X loaded perfectly with Darwin and EFI

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 10.5.4 upgraded from iAtkos 1.0r2

I've restored my boot drive twice from Time Machine, and the only thing I had to do both times is mark the partition as active. All the files were copied perfectly.

It even restored my 10.5.4 from iAtkos 1.0r2 (which is only 10.5.1). My Machine is the "production" varient in my sig.

So I'm not sure why people need to reinstall darwin or EFI. Perhaps it's just that particular distro that got lucky with the Time machine restore. Either way, it does has worked wonders for me.

I would definitely recommend restoring from time machine over imaging a disk with carbon copy cloner or disk utility.

BTW booting an install DVD with -s and using fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 is a great quick way to mark something as active if you can't boot into linux.

I did a similar thing, restored OS X from Time Machine, and that stopped it from booting. However, I didn't have the patience you guys did to solve it, I just did a reinstall. However, I forgot.... after installing Leopard, when setting up your account, it asks you if you want to bring in any files from your old Mac.... or Time Machine. Which I did. I used my Time Machine backup to restore my Hackintosh, and it works fine again! So if you don't want to go through all that, there is another way to bring your Hack~ back to life.

Same here. All that booting, rebooting, setting permissions - I just reinstalled (took all of 20 minutes) and then reimported my settings from Time Machine on first boot. :)

This is dead easy with the iATKOS 2.0i DVD.

• Boot up with the iATKOS 2.0i DVD, attach your external hard drive, and boot to the beginning of the install GUI.
  • From the menu, select the option to restore from backup. Use Time Machine, point to your hard drive, and restore.
  • Afterwards, reboot with the DVD still in the drive.
  • Boot with the "-s" option.
  • Run the following command: darwin
  • Follow the prompts. I have only Mac OS X on my notebook, so for me it was disk0 and partition 1.
  • Reboot and you're good to go.

Another reason I love iATKOS 2.0i.

HELP!!! when i try to do the code "cd /Volumes/FLASHKA/efi" i get the error message "no such file or directory". i have formatted the USB as FAT and FAT32 and still no luck. I have renamed my USB "FLASHKA" and put the extracted efi file onto the memory pen.

• 1 month later...
  • Boot up with the iATKOS 2.0i DVD, attach your external hard drive, and boot to the beginning of the install GUI.
  • From the menu, select the option to restore from backup. Use Time Machine, point to your hard drive, and restore.
  • Follow the prompts. I have only Mac OS X on my notebook, so for me it was disk0 and partition 1.

Thanks a lot that helped me a lot to day -_-

• 5 weeks later...

This one works fine for me!!!!! ;)

Thanks a lot....

Thanks for your guide on restoring from TM! It's just what i need. The problem is, i cannot get to the efi dir. I tried with a thumb drive and with an usb disk, but the installation seems not to like any fat device. I tried to format them from windows and from osx, i get the Mount Failed message no matter what. Any idea?

• 4 weeks later...

I want a faster way than typing stuff in the terminal.

I use guid en efi and installed the kalyway 10.5.2. dvd

Is there a faster way?

Also that new install with transfer files from time machine doesn't restore everything. It only takes your settings. Not updates and added hacks.

• 6 months later...
Same here. All that booting, rebooting, setting permissions - I just reinstalled (took all of 20 minutes) and then reimported my settings from Time Machine on first boot. :)

That is what I can't understand. Why are people going through all that trouble when it seems like it would be easier to just reinstall , then import once you get into that screen. Or heck you can reinstall at any time I believe even after you are actually in the OS.

• 3 months later...
That is what I can't understand. Why are people going through all that trouble when it seems like it would be easier to just reinstall , then import once you get into that screen. Or heck you can reinstall at any time I believe even after you are actually in the OS.

wait you mean that if you reinstall and restore at the setupscreen it will not mess anything up?

i did a restore when osx was fully booted and now i'm getting massive kernel panics

Thanks,

Daniel

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...