First Generation in high-tech business

phb

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I had thiis interesting discussion in a sauna recently (..don't ask, skiing with geekfriends sometime have interesting effects ;P), about first generation of things released in the high-tech business.

With all the pressue on getting products to the market, the quality tend to decrease. I think this issue is most common in the computing(Mobile phones etc count aswell) business, havn't heard any reports of a rev.2 bridge or similar ;)

I got motivated to post this here, after reading about an issue with graphic artifacts on the intel iMacs with extra GPU memory, however, I just got way tired and forgot all the examples I was to mention.. ohwell, let's get down to the point and i'll leave the real bitching to you guys, i'm sure many of you bought firstgen products that you where dissapointed and amazed (of the low quality) about. :gathering:

What makes people buy first-generation stuff? It sucks :)

Sometimes I just can't wait for the second gen product. If it's something incredibly new, or that I haven't convinced myself I need, I'll wait a gen or two (that's me).

In marketing parlance, I'm somewhere between an early adopter and a trendsetter (at least I think those were the catagories, I've slept A LOT since then...)

I had a first gen Sony Digicam. At first it was great. After sum time i realized, the videos it took were too small, 2 MP just wasnt enuf, Batt life was like 1/2 hour, with 1200 mAH Ni-MH Batterys.

Lets not forget my 2nd gen HP CD-Writer, it cost a bomb and the max speed was 4x. plus it gave like so many buffer underruns.

My first gen camera phone Nokia 7650 got it as a gift- Huge, bulky, Kepad was loose in a year, the top plastic part broke off, batt cover became loose and the joystick rubber broke off.

My first gen Windows Mobile PDA. O2 XDA. Another gift. It sucked ass, Huge, bulky, drooped around half the calls, bad reception, slow GPRS, bug filled OS, no BT and to top it all no MIDI support.

First Gen Panasonic DVD player - it didnot support CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. Infact no burnt media at all. Only factory stamped {censored}.

After this i swore never to buy first gen products ever. I love laughin at ppl who have video ipod. Barely 2 hr video life.

I don't buy much first-revision stuff, but there are certain things that will be just too much to pass up. The one notable exception, like Unstable Connection, was a second-gen CD-RW from HP. Burning a CD was SO COOL but waiting like 20 minutes for a CD to burn (from clicking Burn to being ejected, only like 16-17 minutes of actual burning) was painful and I got alot of coasters.

What makes people buy first-generation stuff? It sucks :)

You should be thankful for the people that do. Did it occur to you that if nobody bought first gen stuff there would never be a second gen. :D

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but I bought a first-gen Sony PlayStation way back in the day. Funny thing was, there was this swap trick that let you be able to play games from Japan, which Sony promptly disabled (to a certain extent) in its next-gen models. So the first-gen PlayStations were actually more "valuable" for a little while … until their defective CD laser drives crapped out.

Actually, I think early adopters of OS systems usually put up with more headaches than early hardware adopters. So to all you Vista early adapters, best wishes...