[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I use Chameleon, there is not much difference for our laptops (don't need AMD, SSE2, JMicron, software RAID etc support), but I like that it is open source and under development, also comes with Vista friendly fdisk for people using Vista.

I don't think it is any faster, it is just a bootloader.

Vista friendly fdisk, that's a neat addition.

Hmmm.. I have been swayed, the fact that it is open source is a good enough reason to want to switch over :P

Hi,

I've upload a bootable ISO with kexts for booting Retail DVD with our Dells + Assistant installer inside the ISO for furthers boot without any extra devices. (once your system installed)

I hope it will works as it should:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ggsud1pbxbl

screenshot of assistant:

retail1wf1.png

You already know I think your installers rock :o

Alright guys, I just fixed the Mute button function on the STAC9228 0x83847616 codec.

Just replace your AppleHDA.kext with my version and it will be fine.

Hey Devilhood,

Got a Dell M1530 here. I tried using Kext Helper to replace my kext with yours, ran permissions fix, rebooted, and my sound is gone! Did I miss something or do something wrong by any chance? It does look different when I press mute now visually, but my speakers are silent now. ;) Help?

Thanks for all your efforts!

Hey Devilhood,

Got a Dell M1530 here. I tried using Kext Helper to replace my kext with yours, ran permissions fix, rebooted, and my sound is gone! Did I miss something or do something wrong by any chance? It does look different when I press mute now visually, but my speakers are silent now. :D Help?

Thanks for all your efforts!

Delete the one from /System/Library/Extensions and move the new one over manually, then open Terminal.app and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Restart and use Disk Util to repair permissions.

(posting from leopard m1330!) :)

sup guys! i was finally able to run osx86 on my m1330! perfectly with ahci enabled etc running 10.5.4,

theres only one problem left and that is photobooth! photobooth works but only faster the first time, if u close it and try to open it again it just crashes! i searched everywhere trying to find a fix but no luck, the only time it will get fixed is when you reboot it but it only works on the first try, if u close it its done :wacko:

anyone with a fix lemme know!

So, I've finally got my M1330 working almost perfectly The only thing that is not legitimate or working well at all is SpeedStep.app.

I've got Naitkas 9.2.0 kernel that supports SpeedStepping as well as the SMBIOS.kext into the Extensions folder.

(I have the 9-cell 87Wh battery btw ... in Windows Vista I get about 5.5 hours - 6 hours with Wifi On and the LCD dimmed all the way.)

The battery meter works, and SpeedStep comes up 9 out of 10 times, and it gives me the option to change CPU frequencies ... but the time that is read on my battery meter is all over the place it once says 6 hours, then just 30 seconds later it will say 5 hours, 45 minutes , to 4 hours and a half hours.

Note: I have to press "-f" when I boot up Leopard under Darwin because I get a ACPI error and I don't know what I've done wrong. Would this be the cause for the sporadic battery life.

Any help here guys? Anyone here get Speedsteeping working legitimately. Sound works great with the "Components Package" listed in MacGirl's first thread ... you don't even have to try to put the computer to sleep - it works from the beginning.

So, I've finally got my M1330 working almost perfectly The only thing that is not legitimate or working well at all is SpeedStep.app.

I've got Naitkas 9.2.0 kernel that supports SpeedStepping as well as the SMBIOS.kext into the Extensions folder.

(I have the 9-cell 87Wh battery btw ... in Windows Vista I get about 5.5 hours - 6 hours with Wifi On and the LCD dimmed all the way.)

The battery meter works, and SpeedStep comes up 9 out of 10 times, and it gives me the option to change CPU frequencies ... but the time that is read on my battery meter is all over the place it once says 6 hours, then just 30 seconds later it will say 5 hours, 45 minutes , to 4 hours and a half hours.

Note: I have to press "-f" when I boot up Leopard under Darwin because I get a ACPI error and I don't know what I've done wrong. Would this be the cause for the sporadic battery life.

Any help here guys? Anyone here get Speedsteeping working legitimately. Sound works great with the "Components Package" listed in MacGirl's first thread ... you don't even have to try to put the computer to sleep - it works from the beginning.

i fixed mine up this morning with the ahci problem! open up system profiler, and look for the sata, it should say something like ich something something

mine was ich8M so i opened up appleahcisomething.kext and removed everything else besides the ich8M and it worked for me without doing the -f!

Delete the one from /System/Library/Extensions and move the new one over manually, then open Terminal.app and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Restart and use Disk Util to repair permissions.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Actually, I learned something before I saw this post. My sound used to work both before and after sleep. Since installing your new mute fix kext, sounds only work AFTER sleep. Interesting. But I will try and totally remove and reinstall. Before this kext, I never lost sound at all. So I may have to go back. We'll see. Do you get sound before sleep?

Speaking of sleep, does anyone else lose touchpad tap functionality after sleep? I like using the trackpad as left mouse instead of the hard button and this functionality works great, until sleep - Then it's left mouse or nothing.

i fixed mine up this morning with the ahci problem! open up system profiler, and look for the sata, it should say something like ich something something

mine was ich8M so i opened up appleahcisomething.kext and removed everything else besides the ich8M and it worked for me without doing the -f!

I tried starting it up just about 10 minutes ago without starting it with the "-f" flag. It booted up normally. I tried to find the additional information that you provided and I couldn't really find it.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here to get SpeedStep working, it does run -- but as a poster said earlier (probably about two months ago - I think February) I don't think the SpeedStep.app program is actually turning down the CPU speed.

I tried starting it up just about 10 minutes ago without starting it with the "-f" flag. It booted up normally. I tried to find the additional information that you provided and I couldn't really find it.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here to get SpeedStep working, it does run -- but as a poster said earlier (probably about two months ago - I think February) I don't think the SpeedStep.app program is actually turning down the CPU speed.

Speedstep is actually working with vanilla or sleep-compatible kernel.

But you need to buy (10$) and use an app called CoolBook.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry770187

I'm using it and it's working flawless.

Yeah, I must say, CoolBook is worth the money purely because we know it will be continually supported. Very cool stuff.

I tried it today and it is working without any problems. I just had to make sure I was using Chun-Nan's latest SMBIOS.

It's a shame it wont let me manually add 2500 MHz unless I default the settings, because the T9300 has been tested to run fine at 2.5 GHz with volts as low as 0.9750v

"Speaking of sleep, does anyone else lose touchpad tap functionality after sleep? I like using the trackpad as left mouse instead of the hard button and this functionality works great, until sleep - Then it's left mouse or nothing."

I found out earlier on my system that it would be tap function no matter what the setting was set to before sleep, and then after sleep it would follow the system configuration. I had fsscroll installed from the dell package, not sure if it was related.

Superhai just released an update to his ACPIBattery.kext :P

It would seem that he fixed the battery initialization bug! I'm still testing it, but so far the past few restarts have kept the battery info.

@ yahoop: Haven't tested that but I'll check in a minute to confirm.

Soon I will update the 1st post to reflect the Mute fix, the Sonotone's guide and Superhai ACPIBattery

These days I had a lot of work and also I am changing my Desktop PC at Home, and tomorrow is a big BIG DAY :rolleyes:

This may seems a little off-topic considering the last few posts, but has anyone thought to try this:

(Replace the stock processor, not boot Windows :rolleyes: ) on a hackintosh? I'm thinking of doing this in a few years so my computer doesn't remain completely obsolete. Imagine having a Intel Core 2 Extreme XPS M1530 or M1330 and how it would blow the lid off a MacBook or MacBook Pro!

These days I had a lot of work and also I am changing my Desktop PC at Home, and tomorrow is a big BIG DAY :P
Tomorrow is World Population day :P but I guess you guys are just looking for another phone...Anyway my poor dell will have its lcd panel to be replaced tomorrow... :(
I'm thinking of doing this in a few years so my computer doesn't remain completely obsolete. Imagine having a Intel Core 2 Extreme XPS M1530 or M1330 and how it would blow the lid off a MacBook or MacBook Pro!
Your bios must support the new cpu. And pin configuration and package must match. And in a few year the newer macbooks and pros and airs will be much better than today :)

I was thinking about buying the CoolBook app...I have a 6-Cell running the T5550 (1.83GHz) on the m1330. I will eventually replace the CPU with a T9300 when I get the money but have to work with what I got :P

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4E

Can anybody suggest the optimal settings for my notebook to keep it running stable and cooler while extending the battery life? Any suggestions or pointers on the software?

Thanks again for the feedback!

I was thinking about buying the CoolBook app...I have a 6-Cell running the T5550 (1.83GHz) on the m1330. I will eventually replace the CPU with a T9300 when I get the money but have to work with what I got ;)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4E

Can anybody suggest the optimal settings for my notebook to keep it running stable and cooler while extending the battery life? Any suggestions or pointers on the software?

Thanks again for the feedback!

When using the Coolbook app, make sure you keep the same System Model / Serial Number as specified by your SMBIOS at the time of registration or the program will disallow any kind of re-registration after an uninstall.

Yeah, I must say, CoolBook is worth the money purely because we know it will be continually supported. Very cool stuff.

I tried it today and it is working without any problems. I just had to make sure I was using Chun-Nan's latest SMBIOS.

It's a shame it wont let me manually add 2500 MHz unless I default the settings, because the T9300 has been tested to run fine at 2.5 GHz with volts as low as 0.9750v

Totally agree with you, features are very cool and and the soft is cheap.

However, no succes with Chun-Nan SMBIOS injector, and i saw he removed latest from the board.

Totally agree with you, features are very cool and and the soft is cheap.

However, no succes with Chun-Nan SMBIOS injector, and i saw he removed latest from the board.

Yeah, I'm not sure what was going on really, perhaps the problem stemmed from a previous confrontation.

It sucks when dev's conflict like that :(

HELP!

I tried xbox's advise but was unsuccessful in getting to boot withough using the -f flag.

I followed this guide originally to fix my AHCI with 10.5.3 (but had to boot with the -f flag) via this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...107985&st=0

Question: Who else here has success in booting into 10.5.4 on an m1330 (besides xbox) WITHOUT using the -f flag (using SATA/AHCI)? What files need to be modified/remodified to get it to work? (given that I've already copied the files from AHCISATAFix.Zip) onto my extensions folder (included were AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOSerialFamily.kext, iTunesPhoneDriver.kext).

Any advise would help. I would like to boot into 10.5.4 normally (without using the -f flag) AND be able to use AHCI/SATA (if possible).

Thanks!

Question: Who else here has success in booting into 10.5.4 on an m1330 (besides xbox) WITHOUT using the -f flag (using SATA/AHCI)? What files need to be modified/remodified to get it to work? (given that I've already copied the files from AHCISATAFix.Zip) onto my extensions folder (included were AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOSerialFamily.kext, iTunesPhoneDriver.kext).

SATA/AHCI works out of the box on my m1330 under 10.5.4 so I dont know why you copied that "fix"?

Did you mean that Speedstep works only WITH Coolbook and vanilla/speedstep-compatible kernel?

Or did that mean that the stock vanilla kernel in 10.5.4 supports speedstep?

I still have follwoing problems on my Vostro 1500 that I can't solve:

Mute not working (is there a fix for the 9205 too?)

Is there a chance to get the internal Microphone to work? There are many different drivers, but all I tested did'nt work.

Batterymeter shows only "calculating", after restart there's the correct time, shutdown is not working when the book is on battery, I always get a kernel panic or something like that.

Can I use the 2 Finger-Scrolling layout from another Laptop in sonotones installer?

SATA/AHCI works out of the box on my m1330 under 10.5.4 so I dont know why you copied that "fix"?

It's because when I originally installed from iaktos v2.0i it was working until I upgraded to 10.5.3 using Kalyway's 10.5.2->10.5.3 updater. I could no longer boot into the OS until I turned off AHCI/SATA on the BIOS. I booted to the OS using ATA, came across 'the fix' and installed, updated, booted with -f and it worked. The only problem is that I can only boot using -f if I want SATA/AHCI to work. This is true for 10.5.4 when I updated it was well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!