MAC OS X86 on DELL D800

MarineCorps97

69 posts in this topic

Hi,

sorry, but what is this patch you speak of, and how do you rebuild the extensions cache?

I tried using:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

but was informed that no such file or directory existed..

I looked in the finder for this file and it was not there. Under library there was a 'extensions' directory and a 'extensions.mkext'.....

So where is the cahe that I need to rebuild???

I have followed the 'appleBCM5701Ethernet.kext -add your own vendor/ID method'

Please, please help...

Leopard runs great and I just need my net connection to completely remove vista and windoze from my life!!!!

danskiman

Hello Together,

i have found a Solution that works for my Dell D800 Broadcom Card (Model 570x, Gigabit Integrated Controller, Vendor 14E4,Device 165D)

My System is an patched MacOS 10.4.5.

What have I done:

1. I Found a patched Driver somewhere here in the Board (Sorry, I have read so many threads, that I have forgotten the Name of the real publisher)

2. This Driver ist attended to this Post. I hope the patcher will allow this

3. Copy this Driver File to the Mac Desktop

4. Open Finder and navigate to System/Library/Extensions

5. Find the IONetworkingFamily.kext and copy it also to your Desktop

6. Mark it with the right Mousebutton and select "Show Package Content" or so.

-- Sorry I'm using a German Language OSX and so i don't know the real English Button Names. I think you will be able to find the correct ones ;-) --

7. Move in the opend KEXT to Contents and then to PlugIns

8. Find AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and copy it to Desktop

-- The Copy to Desktop Actions are neccesary, otherwhile you could not edit the KEXT Files --

9. Mark the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with right Mouseclick and choose "Show Package Content" or so, like above

10. Navigate to Contents - MacOS

11. There You will find a File called AppleBCM5701Ethernet

12. Overwrite/ Replace this File with the patched one from your Desktop

13. During all these Steps it is possible that you have to Identify with your Root Passwort. Do so and you are able to replace the Files

14. At this time you have placed the modified Driver in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ON YOUR DESKTOP

15. Now its time to complete the IONetworkingFamily.kext on YOUR DESKTOP

16. Therefore mark the in Step 5 copied File on Desktop with right MB and select "Show Package Content" or so

17. In the opend Package navigate to Contents-PlugIns

18. Copy your modified AppleBCM5701Ethernet (Step 14) from Desktop to this package. Replace the old One

19. After closing you got a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext on the Desktop

20. Now you have to copy this File to your System/Library/Extension Folder.

21. Navigate there with Finder and replace the existing one with the modified one from Desktop

22. The KEXT is now replaced an you have to do some jobs in the Terminal

23. Open Terminal and execute the following Commands:

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

24. Now you have to do a Reboot.

25. The Network should now work

26. At my System an other Error occured.After the second Reboot OSX showed that the patched File was not correct loaded. The Network was again greyed out :-(((

27. To handle this problem, open the DiskManagement Tool form MAC OSX.

38. Choosee your Systempartition and select the Opinion to repair the Acces Rights on this Volume.

39. After the next reboot the System worked fine and the Network Card was working

I hope this Workarround works also for your System. My special thanks goes to the real Patcher of the Driver. Sorry that I have forgotten his Name. Without his patching my Network would never come to live....

Human

I can not get past this... it keeps comming back and saying that there is no such file or directory... any ideas?

I have a Latitude D820 with Leopard and all I get is "Cable Unplugged" for built in Ethernet. I attempted to install the patch listed on the first post and it killed Leopard dead on my D820, I had to rebuild (for lack of skills to uninstall patch).

If there is a fix in the works for Leopard that would be excellent!

A.

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know how I fixed my problem.

I downloaded the file in this thread. I tried all the different things, NOTHING worked. Then I realized INSIDE the Broadcom Kext was the duplicate kext file. So extracted that one from the first kext. After that, everything worked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello Together,

i have found a Solution that works for my Dell D800 Broadcom Card (Model 570x, Gigabit Integrated Controller, Vendor 14E4,Device 165D)

Thank you so much for the wonderful details. I was able to get my Dell D600 running OS X 10.4.8 and now the wired ethernet is working. I had already gotten the wireless working.

Thanks so much.

Sorry, I'm a little confused, so many files, so many threads.

Which file exactly are you referring to?

I think I have 3 or more, all of which I've patched to varying degrees of sucess. I would decompile them, but it's hard to know which is which - and I would rather start with the genuine original article.

Sounds to me like you just accidentially copied a directory inside a directory, BTW.

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know how I fixed my problem.

I downloaded the file in this thread. I tried all the different things, NOTHING worked. Then I realized INSIDE the Broadcom Kext was the duplicate kext file. So extracted that one from the first kext. After that, everything worked.

confirmed working on a dell precision m60 with broadcom 570x ethernet! thanks!

Hello Together,

What have I done:

1. I Found a patched Driver somewhere here in the Board (Sorry, I have read so many threads, that I have forgotten the Name of the real publisher)

-- Sorry I'm using a German Language OSX and so i don't know the real English Button Names. I think you will be able to find the correct ones ;-) --

-- The Copy to Desktop Actions are neccesary, otherwhile you could not edit the KEXT Files --

9. Mark the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with right Mouseclick and choose "Show Package Content" or so, like above

13. During all these Steps it is possible that you have to Identify with your Root Passwort. Do so and you are able to replace the Files

14. At this time you have placed the modified Driver in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ON YOUR DESKTOP

16. Therefore mark the in Step 5 copied File on Desktop with right MB and select "Show Package Content" or so

18. Copy your modified AppleBCM5701Ethernet (Step 14) from Desktop to this package. Replace the old One

21. Navigate there with Finder and replace the existing one with the modified one from Desktop

sudo -s

cd /

26. At my System an other Error occured.After the second Reboot OSX showed that the patched File was not correct loaded. The Network was again greyed out :-(((

38. Choosee your Systempartition and select the Opinion to repair the Acces Rights on this Volume.

39. After the next reboot the System worked fine and the Network Card was working

I hope this Workarround works also for your System. My special thanks goes to the real Patcher of the Driver. Sorry that I have forgotten his Name. Without his patching my Network would never come to live....

Human

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Together,

What have I done:

sudo -s

cd /

Human

Hello, just to inform that what you post worked also on a Dell Latitude D600 and Mac OSX 10.5.1 installation done using Kalyway DVD.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I have a Latitude D800 with 1.7 GHz Pentium M, 1 GB Ram, an Nvidia Geforce4 4200 GO which does not work. The sound, network, and wireless all work. My main concern is the graphics card, if anyone had instructions on how to enable resolution selection and QE on the Geforce4 4200 GO it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all

I'm trying to install iPC 10.5.6 on the exact same hardware but I'm having no end of difficulties withe getting the graphics to work do I need an external monitor to get the login going or do install NVInject and the GeForce legacy drivers at the same time.

Please help.

• 1 year later...
Hello Together,

What have I done:

sudo -s

cd /

Human

Hello!

I've tried this on my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 made by Hazard.

But i dont get it to work...

Should this work in this version?

Anyways, it pops up a window after like 30 seconds that says that "System extension cannot be used". It says that it has not been installed correctly, but i have tried so many times now, and I still get this error or what you should call it. :/

Please help! :P

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Hello Together,

What have I done:

sudo -s

cd /

Human

hi, i have a dell dimension 8400 im trying 2 install. i followed the instruction given until the trminal said that the comand In could not be found!