Holy Crap! Parallels Fried my XP Install

5 posts in this topic

So I installed the latest version of Parallels so I could have access to some XP programs on my Hackintosh. The install went fine on 10.5.1 and no problems setting up my XP install as a boot camp partition. So I Boot XP up for the first time, the desktop loads and everything seems to be going smoothly and then BAM!! an error message pops up from Daemon Tools. Before I have time to do anything a new hardware dialogue box pops up and XP freezes. The mouse refuses to move and no keyboard inputs work either. I kill Parallels and try again. This time disk check runs when I boot XP and finds errors, once it gets to the desktop it crashes again like before. Worried, I reboot to XP and all of a sudden XP is installing all these new device drivers for the Parallels virtual devices, like cpus and stuff. Somewhere in all the chaos the hibernate was dissabled and I couldn't turn it back on. WTF??

• 4 weeks later...

My XP disk got fried. It was working rather well, than one day, Parallels would crash immediately after booting into Windows. I turned off, booted into my Windows (separate HD), and now, cannot get it too boot. Not even in safemode.

I am ditching Parallels and am going to VMWare Fusion.

Heard it's much more stable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have your XP installation CD, and you have a few restore points (which you should!), you can step back to a previous point manually through the recovery console.

Here's a decent walkthrough

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm...38&blogid=4

Good Luck with everything!

same thing happened to my ntf drive. Installed parallels and BOOM, ntfs drive unmounted and wouldnt mount again. Opened with disk utility and partition table was gone. I had to install data recovery software on my PC to get all my stuff back. I removed parallels and I'm not going back. Installed VMWARE and im happy.