Keyboard special characters

space

8 posts in this topic

I´m beginning to figure out OSX now, but one thing troubles me: My keyboard.

Can I in any way get the special characters (typically the ALT GR+ numbers) on the "windows location"?

I have switched the ctrl and alt buttons I think, so I use ctrl+c to copy, etc.

Usually I have the @ at ALT GR + 2 (Norwegian layout). Now it´s where the ´ used to be in XP...

I´m beginning to figure out OSX now, but one thing troubles me: My keyboard.

Can I in any way get the special characters (typically the ALT GR+ numbers) on the "windows location"?

I have switched the ctrl and alt buttons I think, so I use ctrl+c to copy, etc.

Usually I have the @ at ALT GR + 2 (Norwegian layout). Now it´s where the ´ used to be in XP...

I have an spanish ps2 keyboard and i can use it in osx86, i can to type characters as : Ñ, ñ, ª ,º and others, but of course, not exactly like windows, some of them are mapped into other key combinations. I did set up my keyboard in International pane inside of "System preferences pane" in osx86. Maybe there is some Norwegian or similar keyboard option there, look for it. After you set up your keyboard, you can to test where are all keys mapped, using "Special Characters" menu option, take a while examining it.

Take a look at this image :

intlprefpane.gif

This's the window of the Language pane of the International system preferences. There you must to click on "Input menu" tab button, and after chose your keyboard. Good luck !!.

By the way, "@" in my keyboard is got from "Alt Gr + 2" in Windows XP and with "Option + 2" in OS X ("Option" key is mapped into "Windows flag" key, between "Control" and "Alt" Keys).

And while we are at it: special charcters.

What do I have to do to get characters like é,ê, ë in apps like M$ Word 2004, TextEdit, etc.

The ALT +130, ATL+ 136 and such combinations that I'm used to in WinXP,

don't seem to work under os X ...

Anybody?

And while we are at it: special charcters.

What do I have to do to get characters like é,ê, ë in apps like M$ Word 2004, TextEdit, etc.

The ALT +130, ATL+ 136 and such combinations that I'm used to in WinXP,

don't seem to work under os X ...

Anybody?

You need an spanish or latin keyboard, like mine, they have the accent character, or chose to use "Special Characters" menu option. Alt key combinations aren't valid in osx86, because Alt key = command key, remember osx86 isn't windows.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
how can i write @ ?

when i do alt gr + q

it wants to close the window.

Also ctrl+c etc. is not working what are the shortcuts?

Just press the 'Windows key' + Alt + T

A new window will open now where you can select special characters.