Nearly Finished - Hac Pro

aqua-mac

91 posts in this topic

Thanks Nagal,

I still have to finish the IO panel at the back. I might have a go at making a small circuit board with all the sockets to line up with the mac pro's port layout, then solder fly leads to it that plug into the motherboard. I just want to keep the back stock. I am also planning a side window, I need a spare access panel from a mac pro, as I also want to retain the stock panel.

Thanks for all your comments guys, thanks for the tip Nagal - I may just go for that. The mac pro door is different to the G5 as the latching is in a different place. Saw this while I was surfing the net:

frontusb2.jpg

casereardoor.jpg

That polishing must have taken ages. Bit of a finger print magnet but awesome nonetheless. The window in the side door was what I had been thinking about.

I also wondered about some opaque white perspex where the Apple logo is on my mod, with a small light behind to give the effect like a powerbook/macbook pro lid.

Aqua, the G5 side door fits perfectly but the latch catches do not line up. My case has the wrong side door ( G5 on a Mac pro Case) but the fit was so airtight i didnt notice for ages. You cant beat apple engineering, I just wish the metal on the case wasnt as soft as lead

Thanks for the great support Alexandro17, I still have a bit left to do, I want to incorporate the Bluetooth internally, I will probably use a USB lead to a header and install the D-Link dongle into the base where the Mac Pro aerial exits. I will put pictures up when I have done that. Also I need to finish the back panel!

Just finished - (No photos yet I am afraid) I took the Airport/Bluetooth aerials out at the bottom & replaced with my D-Link dongle connected to a USB female connector at the dongle end to a header connector at the other-works a treat!

However, that link is really interesting, the one that shows a double header/2 x USB sockets - never seen one of those before! I am sure I could think of a use to put that to!!!

I made the rom available for download here, but this is only for a BFG 8800 GTX 768MB 600/1800 and includes an overclock to 625/2000 if memory serves me right. I will not be responsible for any non - working cards of other manufacturers, you use at your own risk. Grab the latest version of nvflash from here: http://www.mvktech.net/

Here is a couple of pics showing the connection of the hard drive loom:

loom2.jpeg

macproloom.jpeg

As you can see, I only have 3 hard drives as my watercooling takes up the first bay, normally there would be 4 to connect up. You can also see in the pictures, the PC molex cable that temporally used to test the power to the loom.

Here is the connection for the front panel USB that I worked out if anyone is interested, please excuse the {censored} packet drawing!

macprousb.jpeg

Thanks, I soldered the loom directly into the power supply Sata loom in the end. I cut a triple molex lead off the PS and soldered the Sata loom onto there. The power supply has leads that are able to be unplugged anyway and I have a few spares if I ever change things around!

damn, i already replied to this once, but i had to again. you rock man, seriously. visit the US and build me a sexy hackintosh lol

btw, i've seen that polished/black powdercoated hack before, but i can't recall where, do you have a link?

Sure dark4181,

Click Here

Read all of it, there is about 20 or so pages, very interesting!

Thanks for your comments, I have given the system a real good run in over the Christmas holidays and am really pleased with it. It has been running at 3.4 gigs on the std processor voltage and never put a foot wrong. It even boots at 3.6, but then I get a hang after 5 mins, so at that speed it probably would need a voltage increase, however 3.4 will do fine. So just the back panel to really sort out. I am still thinking of the best way to do it and don't want to rush in to it.

Have you tried going 8 x 450 on that CPU? My Q6600 would rock out all day long down clocking to 8x and pushing the FSB up. My RAM was the real limiting factor in getting to 3.6 as it did not want to go about 425 FSB but that could have been because I was running 4 x 1GB.