Leopard on SSE2 Howto here!

vboyz

135 posts in this topic

dear airtraxxx, you are the MAN!!!

after research over 48 hours, your three kext name finally noted me...

after add my dev id, then my leo works natively with beautiful and sharp image at last!!!

thanks for you tip, and i think i am too far away from days tuning 10.4.5 the tiger days... i just thought modern natit wont need dev id the mess up, but actually, we still need some vi works

cheers, finally :D

Finally got Leopard up and running on my 9300. Took a lot of trial and error but everything is good now. Seemed that upgrading the existing tiger installation to leopard was the trick for me. After installing leopard over the tiger, I booted into single user mode and edited the 3 files I would normally need to edit when installing tiger. The files are GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and NVDANV40Hal.kext. Put in the device id of video card (6800go), reboot and everything that worked on tiger is now working on leopard. If anyone is having trouble getting leopard up and running, give this a try. What do you have to lose? Thanks for everyone's help.

That is great to here because I have the 6800 go also and no one has answered my questions yet. I have gotten everything working except the the video with QE/CI support. After installing leopard over tiger did you boot into leopard to install any video drivers or did you go straight into single user mode to edit the kexts. Any information or help on how you got your 9300 working will be appreciated. I have tried countless times. Titan works for me but QE/CI is not supported. Natit after editing the kexts gave me a kernel panic. Thanks for your help.

Wireless is not currently working for me. I just have my 9300 hooked up wired the whole time so wireless wasn't much of a concern for me. Sorry, I should've mentioned that. I can not help with wireless because I was never really able to get it to work with tiger also. Hopefully there will be a workaround in the future.

what about the wireless?the current 2200 iwi darwin, doesnt work with leo. gives me a kernel panic and have to install the system back.also can i put the 1500n wireless on the 9300? just asking =xsince it runs native with it.
Glad it worked out for you! I know how you feel. It felt great seeing the os boot up finally instead of getting those darn kernel panics.
dear airtraxxx, you are the MAN!!!after research over 48 hours, your three kext name finally noted me...after add my dev id, then my leo works natively with beautiful and sharp image at last!!!thanks for you tip, and i think i am too far away from days tuning 10.4.5 the tiger days... i just thought modern natit wont need dev id the mess up, but actually, we still need some vi workscheers, finally :)

If anyone wants to fix the system profile crash, here's a link to how to do it.http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2240Zeroz4, I am running Leopard using Natit. After installing over Tiger, I boot into single user mode and edit the GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and the NVDANV40Hal.kext. I use device id 00c8. After editing the 3 kext, I repair permissions, and reboot. I usually boot in verbose mode to see what's going on and then finally I was able to get past the kernel panic I would've normally gotten after loading the NVDANV40Hal.kext. Then Leopard finally booted up and I was at the loginin screen. I used my login information from my Tiger installed because basically my Tiger was upgraded to Leopard. After checking System Profile, it does say I have QE + IC enabled. Hope this helps you out even if it's just a little.

frankly, i forgot one thing, that is "GeForce.kext" is not needed to modify, cause in its info.plist, there is...

0x????10de&0x0000ffff

means, no matter which card you are running, the model is ignored, as long as its a NVIDIA card.

and actually i only modified NVDAResman and NVDANV40Hal, then it works great :)

hope this helps

10. There are 2 kext from Tiger that you will need: the dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext without these you will get Leopard kernel panic.

11. Now boot into single mode of Leopard, copy the dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from tiger partition (or wherever else) to /System/Library/Extensions, overwrite the existing ones (because they are for SSE3 I think)

12. Repair persmision and such and reboot.

13. Now you have Leopard on SSE2 machine.

dsmos.kext

SSE2 mach_kernel

this kexts Are for DVD ?? , mi dvd stays in BSD root:disk1s3, major 14, minor 4 and no pass from there.. , my HD are IDE , and i dont know why is the error... , can somebody help me ??

Thnks

Okay, I'm trying to do it with an external USB drive instead of the DVD, so I editing out the parts of the patches that pertain to editing the DVD, and left the parts the remove files, except for the files that just get removed to save space. I've got the SSE2 kernel, did the AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext, and I got the drive to boot, but once it seems to have loaded the extensions my computer restarts. What could I have missed? I tried verbose mode, but all I can see is extensions loading into the kextcache.

Okay, I'm trying to do it with an external USB drive instead of the DVD, so I editing out the parts of the patches that pertain to editing the DVD, and left the parts the remove files, except for the files that just get removed to save space. I've got the SSE2 kernel, did the AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext, and I got the drive to boot, but once it seems to have loaded the extensions my computer restarts. What could I have missed? I tried verbose mode, but all I can see is extensions loading into the kextcache.

same here. i have a sse3 patched iso. i mounted it, renamed the sse3 kernel to mach_kernel.sse3 and put the sse2 kernel form the first post to the iso (i dont replaced the dsmos.kext). then i burned the iso to a dvd. when i boot from the dvd it loads the extensions. after that my computer reboots without any errormessage. is there a newer version of the sse2 kernel available?

My problem turned out to be that the Darwin bootloader I used to make my disk bootable was from the Darwin 8.0.1 CD, so it would load the extensions and then I filmed the screen, paused the video, and it said it was trying to start Darwin x86. So I redid it with the right boot1h and boot files and now it works.

However! Now when I boot, as soon as the GUI loads all I get is a black screen.

another way but no success.

i installed Leopard on a sse3 machine. after postpatch the system is ok. i made a backup of the partition and restored it to the sse2 machine

to a new partition (partition 1 is tiger). i test the restore on the sse2 machine. the system boots but bootup stops after "MAC Framework successfully initialized". so i startet form my tiger partition to replace the kernel with the ss2 kernel. i also replaced the dsmos.kext. after that i repaired permissions.

i started from Leopard partition again and get the same result like booting form my "SSE2-Patched" Install-DVD. (After loading the Extensions the System reboots). I think there is a problem with the sse2 kernel.

Is there a newer SSE2 Kernel for Leopard available?

ok, so i must be retarded. i have an AMD Turion 64x2 (TL-52) with sse3. i've got the real retail box install of Leo, i made a dmg of that on my desktop, used PWRAKER's guide over on osx86scene.com to shrink it, restored it to the hard drive, boot to that partion using -v -legacy (to disable 64 bit) but i can't even get it to install, kernel panic no matter what. i've added kexts, removed kexts, (geforce, NV***, NVRESMAN, etc.) replaced applesmbios, ioata. so im pretty much at a loss. it keeps calling for appleACPIPLATFORM has imediate dependencies and something about ACPI PLATFORM EXPERT blah blah blah

so i guess what im confused about is do i replace the mach_kernel on the shurnken dvd with the one from the first post, or do i pull it off my machine? (if so where would i find it?)

which extensions are good, and which should i kill?

im running tubgirl's 10.4.10 sse3 test on an hpdv9210us on an external WD Passport 160gb/GO drive (modded to fit in extra hard drive bay)

Is there another more in depth kinda "how to" on this? cuz i think im missing something.

ok, i've gotten it to install now i can't boot into it. still getting the same appleACPIPLATFORM error messages and it hangs when loading MCP51 driver

anyone?

delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Thanks for the guide.

I need a little help.

I think I've followed all the necessary steps (see below) but I can't load all the way into the OSX GUI.

There is one part in the guide I'm not sure about and would appreciate some clarrification:

"12. Repair persmision and such and reboot."

I'd appreciate some clarification about what this means and what commands are used to do it.

I boot OK and get past the grey apple screen with the spinning logo.

Next I get the a darker grey screen with a White arrow cursor. I can move the cursor with the mouse but there is no further HDD activity and nothing else loads up.

System:

Dell Optiplex SX270

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz "Northwood"

512MB DDR SDRAM

PS2 mouse & keyboard

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Steps I took:

==========

Run "BrazilMac" patch on 9a581 image to produce "BrazilMac patched ISO"

Extract "untouched kernel" from original 9a581 image (not the patched iso)

Run sse2 patch on "untouched kernel" to produce "sse2 patched kernel" use checksum comparison to ensure it worked

Rename "sse2 patched kernel" then copy it into "BrazilMac patched ISO" to create "SSE2 patched ISO"

Copy renamed "sse2 patched kernel" to "leopatch" folder for Brazilmac postpatch and put this folder and "9a581PostPatch.sh" file on USB Stick

Copy "dsmos.kext" & "AppleSMBIOS.kext" from Tiger install to USB Stick

Burn "SSE2 patched ISO" to a writable DVD to create "SSE2 patched Install disk"

Boot target machine using "SSE2 patched Install disk"

Enter Disk utility from Welcome screen and setup a target disk with MBR partition map and bootable target partition in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format. on my system this was Disk0 Partition1 (d0s1)

Exit disk utility and reboot using "SSE2 patched ISO" again

Enter Terminal from Welcome screen and use instructions from Brazilmac to make the target disk and partition active and bootable. (from a USB Stick)

Exit terminal and reboot using "SSE2 patched ISO" again

Setup OSX on the target disk using the customize option to remove all components other than the core requried components.

When setup completes, reboot using "SSE2 patched ISO" again (not booting from the target disk)

Enter terminal from the Welcome screen and run the Brazilmac postpatch operation (from a USB stick)

Use terminal to delete "dsmos.kext" & "AppleSMBIOS.kext" from Leopard install on target partition.

Use terminal to copy "dsmos.kext" & "AppleSMBIOS.kext" from USB stick to Leopard Install on target partition.

Reboot, this time from the target Leopard disk

OK I've figured out that the "Repair permission" thing is done from the disk utility. I ran the permission repair and it changed a few things.

After a reboot I made it into the GUI YES!!

Now I have 2 other problems:

1. After the GUI loads I get this error:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I'm using the Tiger dsmos.kext and I've tried copying it over again and rebooting but the same thing happens. Don't know if this is the cause but a lot of the applications won't work properly, ical for example.

2. Sound:

I get the sound icon on the task bar and I can adjust the volume slider but there is no sound. System config reports the hardware as AC97.

Thanks if you can help.

I think I've followed all the necessary steps (see below) but I can't load all the way into the OSX GUI.

There is one part in the guide I'm not sure about and would appreciate some clarrification:

"12. Repair persmision and such and reboot."

I'd appreciate some clarification about what this means and what commands are used to do it.

I boot OK and get past the grey apple screen with the spinning logo.

Next I get the a darker grey screen with a White arrow cursor. I can move the cursor with the mouse but there is no further HDD activity and nothing else loads up.

System:

Dell Optiplex SX270

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz "Northwood"

512MB DDR SDRAM

PS2 mouse & keyboard

hey .javi, or vboyz or anyone

i went with BrazilMac's guide and vboyz steps just to make leopard work w/ sse2 on my 9300.

my network card is a Broadcom 570x. i think its the same as vboyz and others with a 9300.

can you tell me how to get the internet working on this card? (step by step would be helpful)

the IONetworkingFamily kext is already on my system and included in BrazilMac's patcher but i'm unsure whether my Broadcom is supported?

also, is the powermanagement.bundle (laptop battery driver) working on yours?

Thanks a million

hey .javi, or vboyz or anyone

i went with BrazilMac's guide and vboyz steps just to make leopard work w/ sse2 on my 9300.

my network card is a Broadcom 570x. i think its the same as vboyz and others with a 9300.

can you tell me how to get the internet working on this card? (step by step would be helpful)

the IONetworkingFamily kext is already on my system and included in BrazilMac's patcher but i'm unsure whether my Broadcom is supported?

also, is the powermanagement.bundle (laptop battery driver) working on yours?

Thanks a million

Not sure if this will help, but I got my Broadcom 5788 to work on Leopard using this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=broadcom+5788

Hey vboyz, i have a 9300! how did you get internet working on that broadcom?

thanks

You only have to find AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext on this forum :-)

Is anyone can use iCal ? mine crashes with leo 10.5.1 ...