Enabling QE/CI on OS X on VMware

~pcwiz

39 posts in this topic

Now that OSX Server for VMWare Fusion is out, I was wondering if there have been any developments regarding QE/CI and VMWare tools that can be adapted for an OSX86 image under VMWare Workstation in Windows or Linux. Would be nice.

Fusion 2 ships with a driver but it won't load on Workstation or Server variants of VMware. So out of luck for now.

From what I tried to find out, in .iso file that contains VMware tools for Fusion for MacOS guest, there is no video driver, thus no possibility for QE/CI.... yet.

Yes there is VMwareIOFramebuffer.kext but doesn't work except on Fusion.

Hmm.. true, trying to load that kext, and nothing happens.. even tho vendor id/device id are fine in Info.plist (by default). :rolleyes:

The issue is that VMware is sending back a return code that it doesn't understand the call the driver is making. Maybe there are settings on the host we can change but not entirely sure what yet.

• 2 months later...
The issue is that VMware is sending back a return code that it doesn't understand the call the driver is making. Maybe there are settings on the host we can change but not entirely sure what yet.

is there any news on QE in vmware? any new developments or hacks to get it working in vmware ws 6.5?

Man, I'm new to OSX, and the iPhone SDK. I hate having to boot into OSX for any development, I very much prefer Windows for all my regular work and fun.

I wish Apple releases Win32 versions of the iPhone SDK so more folks can start tinkering around with the iPhone and create apps (remember, apple gets 30% of any app revenues, so its good for them too).

In the meantime, I was hoping to have something that allows me to virtualize OS X from within XP. The QE/CI work seems to be running out of steam. The folks at the core, do you see any light at the end of the tunnel? I completely understand the difficulty of reverse engineering the driver, still, there is always talent out there that surprizes everyone :unsure: !

FYI, on Linux, I could redirect the X sessions from the VM to the Windows host, which would do the native display. Can one pipe the whole OS X gui through X into an X client on Windows? Would Open GL calls also be piped through this?

This may be a dumb question, especially if OS X doesn't use X for rendering its GUI like Linux does...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...