Resizing partitions on a dual boot

12 posts in this topic

I have a hackintosh, HP comp. The HD is 100 GB and partitioned into two 50 GB partitions. One is mac os x 10.4.6, the other Windows XP. I need to make the mac partition smaller, by about a gig, in order to make 1 GB unalloted of HP quickplay. Is there any way to safely resize the mac partition without loosing data from the Windows parition OR Mac partition?

Thanks

Boinkytwo: When you say: "Try them one after the other" are you saying some may screw up the data? I cant loose this stuff. I need a sure fire way to get this done without issues.

If i use something like iPartition to resize the mac partition, will it screw up the windows partition?

THERE IS A LOT OF TOOLS IN THERE, WHAT I MEANT TO SAY WAS TRY EACH OF THE PARTITION TOOLS , SINCE EACH TOOLS HAVE DIFFERENT FEATURES.

NOT ALL PARTITION TOOLS CAN READ OSX PARTITION TABLE, THEY CANT READ MAC OS PARITION, OR THEY CANT READ TYPE af PARTITION

THEREFORE, FIND OUT WHICH ONE CAN DO THE JOB.

ALL THE PARTITION TOOLS INCLUDED IN THE CD CAN REPARTITION ALL TYPES OF WINDOWS PARTITION

Yup, this is really risky business. The method i would use, assuming your Mac Partition isn't full with data:

Acronis Disk Image:

make a image backup of your 50 gig Mac Partition (don't worry it'll be compressed to about 12 gigs)

Erase/Resize the original MAC partition with Acronis Disk Suite or WINDOWS similar tool.

Restore the image copy to the resized partition... YES, Acronis can restore a bigger image to a smaller partition than the original, with little risk, as long as it is "empty space" that is being chopped off.

Anyway, you always have the OS-image as backup if things screw up.

I really LOVE the Acronis tools, they work perfectly well with all sorts of formats.

good luck,

ninetto

Parted Magic works well and is free. Just choose your HFS partition and make it smaller. It's gonna take a long time since it has to move files to the front of the drive, but it works. Back up your files just to be on the safe side.

Thanks i might give that a try some time. Also, can Acronis Disk Suite make an exact copy of my entire HD, because i am planning on upgrading to a faster, larger one. And if i do get a larger one, will the empty space after the old HD Image on the drive be after or before it?

Thanks i might give that a try some time. Also, can Acronis Disk Suite make an exact copy of my entire HD, because i am planning on upgrading to a faster, larger one. And if i do get a larger one, will the empty space after the old HD Image on the drive be after or before it?

ACRONIS True Image = image tool ... really nice works on all Mac formats too...allows mounting and exploring of image, etc... of course you can copy partitions and clone entire disks...

ACRONIS Disk Suite = disk and partition manager, also highly recommended

seeya, ninetto