Possible Nforce 3 UDMA Fix

148 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
The compiled kext works on 8F1111

macgirl i used your ktext for my install, twice, as mentioned in the other thread. and it seems to fubar my installation. and i was wondering if theres any reason why i cant boot after using your kexts.

first i tried with both the ata and the sound driver.

then i tried with just the ata driver, and that's what did it.

screwed my install and i had to redo it (not that i mind... but i get horrible speed)

• 1 month later...

Interesting read here, as I'm trying to get things working on my ALi chipset. One thing I am curious about is, in the device ID string, e.g.:

{ 0x005310de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4" }

What does the '6' stand for? I've seen others with '5'. How does one determine this value. I understand the first part is from DEV/VAR.

Interesting read here, as I'm trying to get things working on my ALi chipset. One thing I am curious about is, in the device ID string, e.g.:

{ 0x005310de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4" }

What does the '6' stand for? I've seen others with '5'. How does one determine this value. I understand the first part is from DEV/VAR.

I would think the 6 or 5 stands for ATA133 and ATA100 respectively. I'm just guessing but I think that number specifies the UDMA mode number to use?

Interesting read here, as I'm trying to get things working on my ALi chipset.

I'm also looking at getting a driver up and running for ULi / ALi chipset. Got as far as making a working IOKit kext (that does nothing other than output some debug stuff), aquiring UDMA-enabled Linux driver source; and some opendarwin source for ATA drivers, which I'm currently trying to get my head around...

When you say you're trying to get things to work, you're aware that the ALi chipset is substantially different to nForce, right? Are you interested in 'porting' some drivers, or just trying to get some existing semi-compatible ones running?

What level of expertise do you have? Would be great to have a little help getting something up and running. Also, what chipset or board have you got? I'm running an ASRock K8 Combo-Z (M1689 IO controller).

• 1 month later...

I just played with this tonight, and it works wonderfully on 10.4.5.

Xbench disk score is 65, up from the 1.5 that it was previously.

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro

nForce4 chipset (0x003510de)

Incidentally, I was having troubles with the nForce SATA fix when transferring data (wanting to use the sata as a secondary drive). After compiling this, it seems I can transfer things perfectly. Time will tell with this, of course.

*Edit* OK, I spoke too soon on the SATA problem... Guess I am stuck with a small drive for a while. *End Edit*

Thanks to everyone for your hard work. :graduated:

• 2 months later...

My system also run slow CPU usage high hard disk i can get arround 50++

My Spec :-

AMD 3000+ S754 (SSE2)

2GB 333mhz DDR RAM

MSI K8N Neo V2.0 Motherboard (Nforce 3 chipset)

Geforce 4 MX 4000 128MB DDR

80GB SATA WD (WinXP 64bit on this HDD)

60GB PATA Maxtor (Mac OX install on this HDD)

LG DVD-R Writer

Lite-On DVD-ROM

Realtek Sound on-board

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm sorry this may be a bit offtopic:

I have strong proof that just adding the nForce 4 SATA Device Id's to the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext in the nForcePCI section is the right way to make nForce 4 SATA work. (Yeah, it currently DOES NOT work with VIA SATA, corruption, panics...)

I tried adding the IDs on the Info.plist file, but this failed (the kext said "no match", so no drives were enumerated).

Then I read this, and realised that the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext had nForce device ids hardcoded!! There is still hope :rolleyes:

So, may I ask for a hero out there who wants to test building a AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext which has the following hardwareTable:

static const HardwareInfo hardwareTable[] =
{
	{ 0x01bc10de, 5, "NVIDIA nForce"  },
	{ 0x006510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce2" },
	{ 0x00d510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce3" },
	{ 0x005310de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4" },
	{ 0x005410de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4 SATA 1" },
	{ 0x005510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4 SATA 2" },
};

and test it on a nForce 4 system with SATA? Then grep the logs to see if the kext matches, if it gets correct IRQ / DMA (IRQ for SATA is > 20, IRQ for PATA is < 20 usually), and if hard drives are detected?

Make a backup first, of course. I don't have XCode not the bandwidth required to download it in a reasonable time.

If my deductions are wrong, please tell me.

EDIT: I already tested this.

• 6 months later...

hey sliverstorm what settings did you used to get it to work on Nforce 5. i tried the other kext posted here on my Nforce 550 but when booting it goes into a never ending loop.

did anyone by any chance got this working on a nforce 590 board? Should i try and edit the .plist file with the device ID? Also I was wondering if editing the original kext that came with jas sse3sse2intel+amd ppf1 will work better than this? Thanks

Thanks macgirl. This is my Nforce 5 IDE Controller ID = 0x036e10de. I know how to add it to the info.plist but what file do i need to compile using xcode. Appleonboardpcata.kext is a directory and there's a bunch of files and folders there.

Hello, I have my results :(

Results 44.31

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type Maxtor 6E030L0

Disk Test 44.31

Sequential 69.93

Uncached Write 57.76 35.46 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 59.62 33.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 117.64 34.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 68.44 34.40 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 32.43

Uncached Write 11.93 1.26 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 63.83 20.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 74.69 0.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 95.71 17.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

The random uncached 4k still suck but my values used to be about 4MB/s each

I also have a devid of 036e10de; if you have the same devid, u can use this one. Don't forget it goes in /System/Library/Extentions/IOATAFamily/Contents/Plugins/ and don't forget to rm /System/Library/Extentions*

AppleOnboardPCATA.kext.tar.gz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey silverstorm, i got your kext and i have the same device id for the chipset, problem is that i get a kernel dependency at boot, i did -r 755, chown root:wheel on the main kext and on the plugin one that you posted after modifying, removed kextcaches etc, standard stuff, but that error comes up, any idea how to fix this? Thanks