Will osx x86 die out?

jordn

6 posts in this topic

i'm sure that this will only apply to people that are windows ditchin' (very popular sport) but with the up and coming new technology scheduled for 2006 such as nvidia nforce5 and AMD moving to DDR2 memory, won't you be concerned that if you were to upgrade (not nessesarily to the above) that you could lose complete support for osx x86? For example, you may indulge in a Blu-ray drive or even just a new new motherboard, and then realise that OSX refuses to boot... i am really hoping either somebody is able to 'patch out the future' or this small wonder could end up lying dead in the water, and taking a section of your hard disk with it.

Im all for getting rid of windows altogether, if it wasn't for the low driver support offered by other OSes, and the ability not to play games on anything apart from it. But if all else fails, i'll be NIX'ing it when vista is released, because it will carry the microsoft patent of being like a bucket with a hole in, except they make you patch it with your credit card...

I hope not. My 12" G3 iBook will probably be replaced next fall with the rumored 13" intel model next fall, Apple hasn't made a desktop machine that I've been interested in quite a while. My next desktop will be home built. I'd like to be able to cut windows out of the loop entirely. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening without a fully supported version of Mac OS X for non-Apple computers.

I personally think that by the time these technologies are integrated into the mainstream, compatibility will not matter very much. By the time the Intel-compiled version of MacOS is released to the public (most likely OEM through Apple), one of the three following things can happen:

a) It will not be compatible with non-Apple Certified PCs and Laptops AT ALL (beyond "hackability").

B) It will not be compatible with non-Apple Certified PCs without MAJOR rewriting of the kernel or MOST of the key functional drivers.

c) It will have compatibility with regualr PC hardware, since Apple will implement it in their computers as well.

Woz already said that he still wants Apple hardware and software to be tightly integrated with each other and not separated, regardless of what the public might want. Being that he already has huge influence over the company's decisions, if that is the way he wants it, we won't see anything past 10.4.4 on our regular PCs. However, he could be bluffing it like most companies do with largely anticipated releases.

Only time will tell as to what will happen. However, OS X is something that most power users of PCs have been wanting, and as long as there is a viable release to use, then there shouldn't be a reason as to why the prematured Intel OS X movement will die.

Woz already said that he still wants Apple hardware and software to be tightly integrated with each other and not separated, regardless of what the public might want. Being that he already has huge influence over the company's decisions,

Huh? Mr. Wozniak left Apple more than twenty years ago, on February 6, 1985.

I don't think it will die out. At the risk of repeating myself, I think that existing OSx86-on-PC users have a strong base upon which to continue building. I believe that Vanilla PC OSx86 has now taken on a life of its own and will contine whatever Apple does. However I do believe that there will be a divergence from the mainstream Apple release if that becomes more firmly locked to hardware.

My prediction is a long and rosy future for an OSX lookalike and workalike operating system. It will be built upon the base we already have and reinforced by future releases, drivers and open source components. It probably won't be 100% Apple but for most users it will be sufficiently close to whatever is current to satisfy all but the power users who must have those big-dollar applications up and running. If all you want to do is surf and use office apps it will be an excellent alternative to Windows or Linux.

Just my own opinion of course.