Help required: Choosing a decent P35 MoBo for use w/ OSX

61 posts in this topic

As posted several times before in the thread, you need this kext, which was originally posted here.

In order to get it to work:

extract the files from the zip [under osx simply double click on the .zip file].

Open up Terminal [Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal] and type the following [bold text: text to type in Terminal. Safest way is simply to copy/paste to terminal]:

1. sudo -s (enter password) <-- Gives you administrator rights
  2. cd /location/of/kexts , for instance cd /Users/your_username/Desktop if you've extracted the files on your desktop
  3. cp -R ALCinject.kext /System/Library/Extensions && cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions <-- This copies the files to the 'extensions' folder
  4. <-- The next step will set the correct permissions for the files -->
  5. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext && chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
  6. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
  7. rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.*
  8. diskutil repairPermissions /
  9. <-- Now reboot your computer: -->
  10. reboot or sudo reboot

Hope it works,

3phemeral

This command doesn't seem to copy the file for me. After typing these command in the terminal, I looked inside the extension folder to get info of these 2 kext file, and they're still dated 2006. Any other way to copy?

thanks

This command doesn't seem to copy the file for me. After typing these command in the terminal, I looked inside the extension folder to get info of these 2 kext file, and they're still dated 2006. Any other way to copy?

thanks

Hmm... this should work... Did any of the previous lines of code give you an error?

You can also drag & drop the 2 kexts into the extension folder; this will cause a permission related error, upon which you must authenticate, and tell it to replace any older kexts. Remember it's always safest to back up any kexts you are replacing. After replacing/adding these 2 kexts to the extensions folder you should start a terminal and type 'sudo -s', then your password, and then resume my instructions from step 5.

Hope it works this time 'round :whistle:

3phemeral

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

How did you get sleep mode working?

I have a GA-P35-DS4, e6750 CPU, PCI-E 7950GT in PEG1 slot, USB mouse and keyboard, Seagate SATA II 320GB drive, SATA Lite-on DVD-RW.

I did the initial install using JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 & SSE3 w PPF1 and PPF2.

I upgraded to 10.4.9 using the JAS 10.4.9 Combo Update Intel SSE3.

I upgraded to 10.4.10 (Kernel: Darwin 8.10.1) using KoolKal 1.4.10 Combo Update Intel SSE3 Only, with install options:

- MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.10 Intel only hpet

- kernel 8.10.1_kernel_SSE3_intel_hpet

- Networking Drivers > ionetworkingfamily

- SATA & ATA drivers > IOATAFamily + ich8 sata

- SATA & ATA drivers > Jmicron SATA-IDE fox for 10.4.9

- read/write NTFS support

The upgrade to 10.4.10 worked (I can boot into os x and everything appears to be the same) however when i enter sleep mode, i cannot get out of it.

Does it matter which PCI-E slot my video card is in?

How can I get my install to "resume" from sleep?

Thanks

dave

Hi,

How did you get sleep mode working?

I have a GA-P35-DS4, e6750 CPU, PCI-E 7950GT in PEG1 slot, USB mouse and keyboard, Seagate SATA II 320GB drive, SATA Lite-on DVD-RW.

I did the initial install using JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 & SSE3 w PPF1 and PPF2.

I upgraded to 10.4.9 using the JAS 10.4.9 Combo Update Intel SSE3.

I upgraded to 10.4.10 (Kernel: Darwin 8.10.1) using KoolKal 1.4.10 Combo Update Intel SSE3 Only, with install options:

- MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.10 Intel only hpet

- kernel 8.10.1_kernel_SSE3_intel_hpet

- Networking Drivers > ionetworkingfamily

- SATA & ATA drivers > IOATAFamily + ich8 sata

- SATA & ATA drivers > Jmicron SATA-IDE fox for 10.4.9

- read/write NTFS support

The upgrade to 10.4.10 worked (I can boot into os x and everything appears to be the same) however when i enter sleep mode, i cannot get out of it.

Does it matter which PCI-E slot my video card is in?

How can I get my install to "resume" from sleep?

Thanks

dave

I'm no longer messing about with OSX [cause that's what it felt like] or even using it for that matter, but when i first installed OSX on this computer sleep worked. After a while, it stopped working. Why, i don't know, it could be so many things...

I installed using JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 & SSE3 w PPF1 and PPF2, and immediately upgraded to 10.4.10 using Koolkal's patch. I selected less items then you did: i did not select ionetworkingfamily, IOATAFamily + ich8 sata or Jmicron SATA-IDE fox for 10.4.9. Does ionetworkingfamily allow you to use the NIC? I simply installed the realtek patch available at sourceforge. As for IOATAFamily + ich8 sata, i don't see how this would help as this board has ICH9, so i did not select it. I have no IDE devices, so i didn't install the Jmicron SATA-IDE fix.

Graphics card was in the first [uppermost] PCI-E slot, tho i don't see how it would make a difference. I personally use the upper slot, and 3dmarks have proven to be slightly better with it.

In order to get sleep working properly, you'll need to fiddle about some more. If i were to try getting sleep to work again i would: Remove the hard drive with WinXP on it [WinXP has sometimes caused completely unexpected effects], reset bios to defaults, enable AHCI for the yellow sata ports, then try a fresh install of OSX on a different hard drive, and have only this hard drive in the computer when booting. Immediately after install i'd update to 10.4.10 using Koolkal's patch and selections 1,2 and 6 from your above list, reboot and then try sleep. If succesfull, i'd go about installing all appropriate hardware fixes carefully, testing sleep after each/every couple of fixes. Then i'd move on to software, checking if sleep is anyhow affected. Only then would i try putting the WinXP/Vista hard drive back in, and sorting out some sort of boot manager [grub / (k)ubuntu for sure!].

Anyways, these are just my thoughts... Hope they come in handy in some sort of way.

Greetings and all the best,

3phemeral

P.s. One last comment: when sleep was working i had a geforce 7600GT in there, which i got working [QE/CI/Resolution changes] with the Titan kext from Jas' install disk. Does your 7950GT need further patching? If so, this could also affect sleep...

• 2 months later...

1.sudo -s (enter password)

2.Users/Ali/Desktop/alc889a

I can't get it working, I can't even get through step two, I get "No such file or Directory", can anyone tell me what to type for part two? the kext folder is in Desktop named alc889a (its unzipped already btw).

Phemeral are you happy with your choice with the P35? I'm really debating on weather to get the P35 or 975x. I've read every post in this thread and it seems the P35 is pretty compatible with everything. My deciding factor is compatibility and over all quality of the board. I've heard a lot of good things about badaxe2 but this thread makes the P35 seem great too.

May I have your $0.02?

Yea! for me it works wonderfully! The only thing is with the drivers for the Raid, but if you can get a Raid you can get a Mac so it's ok! :)

Audio, Land, USB, USB mouse and keyboard, and I got a X1950Pro 512Mb with all but dual monitor.

I was going to get the P35 DS4 but too much patch work and not to mention the shutdown that don't work disturbs me. I mean do i have to like do all those updates every time a new update from osx comes? I am thinking of getting a DFI Blood Iron as i heard it need not patch besides the audio. But the lack of consensus of the board got me worried. A total newbie who just read around for a long long time. Any comments?

Kunijp, I thought about the same exact things, thats why I decided on 975x bad axe 2 instead of the P35. The 975x only needs audio patching as well, and one guide said it was the best for osx.

1.sudo -s (enter password)2.Users/Ali/Desktop/alc889aI can't get it working, I can't even get through step two, I get "No such file or Directory", can anyone tell me what to type for part two? the kext folder is in Desktop named alc889a (its unzipped already btw).
2. was supposed to be 'cd /Users/Ali/Desktop/alc889a '. Note the cd (change directory) and the '/' before Users/... But we sorted that out through pm's anyways :P

Kunijp, I thought about the same exact things, thats why I decided on 975x bad axe 2 instead of the P35. The 975x only needs audio patching as well, and one guide said it was the best for osx.
Yea, the bad axe 2 has a good reputation, tho i guess it's less future-proof than a P35 board. I've read a number of threads where people recommend that mobo...Personally, i haven't used OSX much since i got the P35-DS4 due to graphics card incompatibility and issues... Currently it's in RMA and will be for a while [i sent it to them 3 weeks ago and just got

message saying they received it ffs!] due to a problem with the PCI-e ports, tho i'm quite certain it's not a common problem at all. When i tried Leopard  tho, all i had to do was patch the sound, as network worked out of the box. That's all the patching it needed... I think using AHCI is necessary to have the hard drives work at 'full' speed, but that wasn't an issue for me, really... If you dual boot WinXP/Vista, you have to use the AHCI drivers provided with the mobo when installing e

ther OS, so no biggie. Overall, i have to say i am really impressed with the build quality of the P35-DS4 :P

Ps. apologies for the crappy layout and random carriage returns; Opera has been doing this for a while now :/ Otherwise, it kicks any other browser's ass in my opinion :P

Thanks For the information!

Did the shutdown, reboot, sleep work?

what method did you use to install leo? (kalyway 10.1x? iatkos 1.x?)

what version of leo did you install?

I don't mean to change the subject but i am trying to chose between a XFX 7600GT fatality and 8600GT fatality.

Anyone can offer me any advice on which card to get, please PM me.

Thanks in advance -_-