Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

cringemaster

7 posts in this topic

Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext has been there since 10.4.4 or earlier. I can't remember. Anyway, old news! :)

yeah, but still, i found it kinda funny that someone would write that. i wonder if it was some developer, or apple legal...

The extension contains a kernel function called page_transform() which performs AES decryption of "apple-protected" programs. A Mac OS X system which is missing this extension, or a system where the extension has determined it's not running on genuine Apple hardware, will be missing this decryption capability, and as a result will not be able to run the apple-protected binaries Dock, Finder, loginwindow, SystemUIServer, mds, ATSServer, translate or translated.[3]

The extension also exports the following message in shared address space at 0xFFFF1600:

The extension contains a kernel function called page_transform() which performs AES decryption of "apple-protected" programs. A Mac OS X system which is missing this extension, or a system where the extension has determined it's not running on genuine Apple hardware, will be missing this decryption capability, and as a result will not be able to run the apple-protected binaries Dock, Finder, loginwindow, SystemUIServer, mds, ATSServer, translate or translated.[3]

The extension also exports the following message in shared address space at 0xFFFF1600:

Yeah, so much for that. If it really worked, our Hackintoshes would not exist.