Reset the Master Boot Record

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a booting-related problem. I first installed windows and then I installed Mac OSX. I installed Mac on a new partition on the same HDD (I only have one). Now my Notebook always boots Mac. I think Mac changed the Master Boot Record. How can I reset the Master Boot Record to boot Windows again? I have to change the boot.ini and copy the chain0 file in the c: partition. Or is there another way to fix this?

you have to set the other partition active in Macs fdisk, i don't remember the command, it's all in Terminal, search the wiki for dual booting guides, that's what I have used to fix this thing, after that you copy the chain0 to the disk and edit the boot.ini file to display the mac os selection, good luck

You could hit F8 at startup to show your windows installation on the Darwin boot loader. You could also modify the startup to wait a few seconds until the OS starts which would let you boot Windows instead.

Ok, thx. The F8 method worked for me!

Now I have the problem, that the boot.ini isn't displayed in windows, even if I unhide all files. If I'm right, it should be directly in "c:", were Windows is installed.

In Mac OSX I could see the file, but I couldn't open it without an external program.

I solved the problem by starting the notepad and choosing the path to the boot.ini manually. I testet the bootloader a few times and it worked well. Then I switched the windows partition to aktive and now only windows is bootable by the windows bootloader. If I select Mac, the bootloader opens again. It doesn't boot from the Mac partition. Why that?

You have them both on 1 HDD? (Windows and OS X)

I believe that the chain0 method won't work then, tried it several times, never worked for me.

Best option would be using GRUB, but you'll have to install Linux then,

you could also try Acronis OS selector.

Or ad a time-out in the com.apple.boot.plist.

Or ad a time-out in the com.apple.boot.plist.

I think this is the darwin bootloader option or? I just installed Mac again, now it is booting again. I will change this then. But I heard that it is not possible to configure Windows to boot as standard. Is that right?

EDIT:

I wonder why the windows bootloader is working, if I set the Mac partition as active, use darwin to choose the windows partition and then choose mac in the windows bootloader which opens then. But If I change the windows partition to active, it doesn't work. Maybe Windows made some {censored} as it changes the partition to active. If someone can tell me how to change a partition to active in mac, I will try this...