How to get a Linux Codec dump?

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I want to use the AppleHDA.kext to enable my sound card for Output and input. However, it requires a linux codec dump.

I know to enter into linux /proc/asound. But there are so many files that I don't know which is the corret one.

{I am using SUSE Linux 10.2}

Can someone give me a instruction to operate the dump. Thank you very much.

By the way, has anyone here already dumped the ALC860 card? If there is any, Would you please send me one copy? Thank you for any help.

I wondering whether everything will work fine by using the HDA patch(with all the line out and line in)?

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking for a concise way of getting a codec dump because I am a Linux noobe also. Here is what I found..

1) Get your favorite Linux Live ISO (I used the latest Ubuntu) and burn it to disc.

2) Boot of the disc get to the desktop. Open the terminal and type this:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0

3) The terminal will scroll through the data. Copy the data and paste it into a text document and save it to a writeable media (live CDs often mount media read-only so you will need something like a thumb-drive or something)

4) Boot into OS X and then use this as the file for patching. It has been recomended to use the -legacy option upon booting.

I have yet to try this on my laptop. It worked on my desktop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I have been looking for a concise way of getting a codec dump because I am a Linux noobe also. Here is what I found..

1) Get your favorite Linux Live ISO (I used the latest Ubuntu) and burn it to disc.

2) Boot of the disc get to the desktop. Open the terminal and type this:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0

3) The terminal will scroll through the data. Copy the data and paste it into a text document and save it to a writeable media (live CDs often mount media read-only so you will need something like a thumb-drive or something)

4) Boot into OS X and then use this as the file for patching. It has been recomended to use the -legacy option upon booting.

I have yet to try this on my laptop. It worked on my desktop.

it's better to use:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

and then copy it to a usb/mail

sometimes the terminal is not long enough and the info can be incomplete.

• 1 year later...

Heyyo,

Trying to get a Linux Kernel Dump for my CMI8788 based soundcard (Asus Xonar DX PCI-E) but the codec file doesn't exist.. is there by chance another way or am I boned? I'm hoping to try the codec dump in the AppleHDA patcher... one can dream....

• Like 1