• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

Hi, I've recently installed 10.4.8 on a Sony Vaio after upgrading the internal mini-pci card to the Dell/Broadcom 1450 (dev id: 4324) and I'm experiencing the same connectivity issues that Riws describes in his/her post above
Would anyone know how I can correct this connectivity issue?
Thanks,

k

My hint helped you?

KevinPK

KevinPK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I've recently installed 10.4.8 on a Sony Vaio after upgrading the internal mini-pci card to the Dell/Broadcom 1450 (dev id: 4324) and I'm experiencing the same connectivity issues that Riws describes in his/her post above:

10.4.4 - does not load
10.4.5 - loads, but signal strenght bug
10.4.6 - best kext, no bugs or other problems
10.4.7 - sometimes the wifi signal gets weak
10.4.8 - bug, connection lost/freezes with 11g-54mb speed, works with 11b speed
10.4.9 - needs IO80211Family.kext too, but the same connection lost/freezing problem

Would anyone know how I can correct this connectivity issue?

Thanks,

k

I'll add that my Vaio (PCG-V505BCP) also has XP installed on another partition. After installing what I believe to be the most up-to-date drivers for the 1450 card (from Dell) and adjusting the power conservation settings within the Network Config preferences, this card now works fine while in XP. I was initially encountering similar issues with the connection dropping just like I see in OS X with the card, but read that the XP connectivity issues were related to the power conservation settings for the card while trying to connect to encrypted networks... Without encryption, the card would connect to the networks without any problems. Now that I've changed the power settings in XP, I can connect to 802.11g networks with WEP-128bit HEX without any problems.

But I'm still encountering the connectivity issues w/in OS X 10.4.8 JaS... I thought I loaded the 10.4.6 kext files, but maybe I didn't?!?

Can anyone point me to the 10.4.6 kext files that I'd need for the Broadcom 1450 card?

Thanks again,

k

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

I'll add that my Vaio (PCG-V505BCP) also has XP installed on another partition. After installing what I believe to be the most up-to-date drivers for the 1450 card (from Dell) and adjusting the power conservation settings within the Network Config preferences, this card now works fine while in XP. I was initially encountering similar issues with the connection dropping just like I see in OS X with the card, but read that the XP connectivity issues were related to the power conservation settings for the card while trying to connect to encrypted networks... Without encryption, the card would connect to the networks without any problems. Now that I've changed the power settings in XP, I can connect to 802.11g networks with WEP-128bit HEX without any problems.

But I'm still encountering the connectivity issues w/in OS X 10.4.8 JaS... I thought I loaded the 10.4.6 kext files, but maybe I didn't?!?

Can anyone point me to the 10.4.6 kext files that I'd need for the Broadcom 1450 card?

Thanks again,

k

How is it with WPA encryption network?

KevinPK

KevinPK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone and special thanks to Riws!

I feel confident that the connection issues I'm having are hardware related... I've extracted the 10.4.6 IO80211Family.kext file from the update on apple and I believe that *may* have helped, my Broadcom 1450 card is still randomly picking up available networks and then losing them... Including my network which I've tried connecting to w/o encryption, WEP 128-hex and WPA... No difference with any of them.

I have a feeling it could be related to incompatibilities with my Vaio and the Dell mini pci card I installed, although I believe I've installed the most up-to-date driver. I've also found this, and this seems to have fixed any connection issues that I was experiencing while booted in XP:

http://www.intel.com...b/cs-006205.htm

Any other ideas? I'm all ears, but feeling like this could be a lost cause. I'm also considering picking up an Atheros card on eBay to replace the Broadcom card.

Thanks!

-k

FreakyMac

FreakyMac

InsanelyFail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Tried Helping... Lol

bigdumbchimp

bigdumbchimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can someone please point myself and a few others in this thread to something that tells us how to determine the device ID in Mac for the wireless cards (or for any cards for that matter)? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have a clean install on a Dell d600, no dual boot. It's a Dell/Broadcom 1300.

Thanks!

alek

alek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
This tutorial works even for USB wifi?
I have an USR5421 and I suppose is a broadcom 4318.
I can't find my dev id

ws2000

ws2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thank you! :( !! I just finished installing Uphuck 10.4.9 on my Dell E520. I had a spare WLI2-PCI-G54S card and your help put me online.

Ok Heres the deal, people with Broadcom Wireless (aka Dell Wireless) have been having trouble with getting it to work , or getting it recognize on 10.4.8 and people have been going to thread-to-thread just to find a solution so i decided to make this SIMPLE little tutorial to help all you Broadcom People, Ok lets begin :D

1: Open Terminal (Hard Drive icon -> Applications -> Utilities)

2: type this ->

sudo su

3: then this ->
cd /System/Library/Extensions

4: then ->
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/

5: then
nano -w Info.plist

6: Ok then scroll down until you see:

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
<string>pci14e4,4328</string>
<string>pci14e4,4329</string>
<string>pci14e4,432a</string>
<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4313</string>
<string>pci14e4,4319</string>
<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

7: before <string>pci14e4,4319</string> add this: <string>pci14e4,4318</string> (change the 4318 to your ID, Mines is 4318 because i have Dell Wireless 1370)

8: then Control X, then Y then hit Enter

9: then Do:
sudo reboot

10: then you should see a Blank Baseball Feild Icon (airport icon) on the finder bar

11: Open up Terminal then type ->
sudo su

12: Then ->
cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

13: Then ->
nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

14: You should See this

<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en0</string>
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IOLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data>

15: change that to this:

<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en1</string>
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data>
16: then Ctrl-X -> Y -> Enter

17: Then
sudo reboot

18: After Reboot, Click the Airport Icon on the finder bar and click 'Network Preferences' It'll Say

Has Found the following Port

'Airport'

19: Click Ok then click the drop down box that has Show: next to it then click 'Airport' then click Apply Now and then, Click the Airport icon then select your Network and then Your Done

Congrats, You have Wireless in 10.4.8 :lol:

errandwolfe

errandwolfe

Usurper of Wilson, King of Prussia

• Donators
  • 1,429 posts
Ws2000,
It is not unnecessary to quote the entire original message to simply post a reply "Hey it works".

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
This method we dont need in Leopard anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
My Buffalo PCI WLAN Card works out of the box

orionshunter

orionshunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
How do I open the IO80211Family.kext file? I can only go as far as that in terminal. I have not installed any .kext files.

After:

/IO80211Family.kext/Contents.....etc....

I can't go any further than the .kext file.

Thanks in advance!

smylee

smylee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Guys please help!!! I tried everything but my Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN card (ven 14e4, dev 4311) on HP G5000 doesn't works!!! OS version is 10.4.8

errandwolfe

errandwolfe

Usurper of Wilson, King of Prussia

• Donators
  • 1,429 posts
Smylee,
Take a look at this thread. A lot of people with Dell/Compaq/Acer Broadcom 4311 cards are currently unable to get them to work. The cause is most likely due to OS X not properly recognizing the mini-PCI Express bus.

Other threads of interest:
http://forum.insanel...o...364&hl=4311
http://forum.insanel...o...056&hl=4311
http://forum.insanel...o...547&hl=4311

victorguttmann

victorguttmann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Worked for me! Thanks a bunch.

Macitude i600

Macitude i600

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
great tutorial, thank you!

Dell Latitude D600
Recognizes BCM4306KFB as Airport
Added <string>pci14e4,4320</string>

Brandonw

Brandonw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
How di i find my Device ID?

N-tone

N-tone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Work fine on my Dell x300 Jas 10.4.8 sse2 and then on update to 10.4.10

afawcett

afawcett

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANK YOU!
I used another guide, and worked for me just fine. Then I reinstalled because something else I was playing with went bad. Your guide was almost exactly the same (I didn't noticed anything very different, just very slight things I didn't think mattered) but it got me working again.

tds-pl

tds-pl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you for your tutorial. It works on Asus A6R 5059 + 10.4.8 JAS

sameastham

sameastham

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wish I was having the same success as others, but unfortunately I get an error message saying the 4311 kext can't be loaded. I'm running 10.4.1 trying to load a 4306 Broadcom miniPCI card. Is there a reason why my system can't load the kext?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy