OS X unwanted overclocking / overheating

username931

5 posts in this topic

Whenever I use processor intensive tasks such as handbrake, crossover, and parallels, the CPU fan becomes hyperactive. When I recently tried to rip a video with instant handbrake the above happened and activity monitor displayed ~142 - 152 % CPU usage. I obviously can't have my CPU running like that for > 1hr.

I had previously noticed that the "about this mac" displayed my CPU as 3.6 GHz even though it is a 3.2 GHz (Intel SSE3 w/ hyperthreading). I cloned my boot partition and installed Jas 10.4.8. "About this mac" then displayed 3.2 GHz, and the prob was still there. I also updated to the "Nebukadnezar" kernel with no effect. I think the modified applesmbois.kext I installed for 10.4.8 prevents OS X from controlling the CPU fan, so it is fairly certain, I think, that it is actually overheating (and not some powermanagement error).

The same handbrake (DVD -> ipod mp4) coversion in windows only uses a max 50% cpu, and other than I new kernel I don't really know where to go from here.

EDIT: I notice a lot of faults when this happens

Edited by username931

• 1 month later...

Whenever I use processor intensive tasks such as handbrake, crossover, and parallels, the CPU fan becomes hyperactive. When I recently tried to rip a video with instant handbrake the above happened and activity monitor displayed ~142 - 152 % CPU usage. I obviously can't have my CPU running like that for > 1hr

Obviously? No. That's what should happen, at least with Handbrake. Video compression needs all the CPU it can get.

I suggest you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_average

Having power-saving idle modes translates to more heat generation when the CPU is actually doing something. That's normal. Be grateful the CPU has lower-power modes and that the fan doesn't need to run full speed all the time. If the fan is too loud for you, consider a larger heatsink and/or not clocking quite so high.

There is a reason that Apple used the mobile version of the Core 2 Duo in the iMacs.

Heat generation and cooling system noise are among the things to consider when making design tradeoffs. Hand-in-hand with those is energy use. Those factors also come into play when deciding what GPU to use.

Having a CPU load above 1 (or 100%) per core simply means the task is CPU bound - it would get done quicker if the CPU were faster. It's not like it is being forced to do more than it can handle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...