HP dv6000 & dv9000 series

Mammoth

432 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion DV6110ca.

Specs are here:

Specs for DV6110ca

I am pretty newbie here. However, thanks to this thread and some others, I have been able to install Jas 10.4.8 for AMS / Intel SSe2 SSe3 patched on an external USB hard drive and with a USB mouse. I have only selected AMD.

Keyboard of the laptop does not respond. I need to find a USB keyboard.

However, I can boot on my USB hard drive with the command

-v -x parms

until the login window, but cannot enter the password since I don't have any working keyboard yet. Normal boot does not work.

Hope it helps for some of you. Feedback would be appreciated if you experience similar issues.

Thanks and all the best,

Don.

I'm working on a dv6119us, which is similar to the laptop you're using. luckily, I have an external usb keyboard and mouse, otherwise I would've given up a long time ago. I did manage to get the wireless internet working by installing Wireless.Support.pkg (I believe it's the wireless pkg from 10.4.7). Wireless.Support.pkg.zip

It seems to work better for this particular broadcom wireless chip. Hope it helps you guys get your wireless working. It's a hell of a lot easier to troubleshoot if you have an active internet connection.

Just install the pkg, reboot, and then edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

find the part that says en0 and change it to en1. Also change the part that says <integer> from 0 to 1. Run diskutil to repair permissions and reboot. Your Wireless Lan should now work (although the light may not).

I've tried different graphics drivers (titan, natit), but haven't had any success getting QE/CI (Quartz Extreme and Core Image) support. I keep going back to the vesa driver in order to troubleshoot more.

The easiest way for me to get video working at all was to remove titan.kext or natit.kext (whichever one I accidentally installed)... remove the extensions.kext / extensions.mkext and reboot.

This laptop is operating on an nforce 430/410 SATA controller, so I haven't been able to get the sata drive working yet. It just freezes the entire system when it tries to access the drives, at which point I have to remove the kext and reboot. (Check out some threads on "nforce sata")

I haven't seen the sound work as of yet.

I was able to get the keyboard and touchpad working for one boot by reinstalling the ApplePS2Controller kext, but the next time I rebooted it didn't seem to work.

I think most of these problems have to do with the NForce motherboard. If one device isnt' working properly, it may block another device from functioning as well.

I know one thing is for certain... As soon as I get this baby up and running perfectly, I'm going to image the partition and make backup copies for an easy reinstall in case of disaster.

good luck, and let me know if you get any further.

Those will work :(

You guys are stuck right now if you have Go or onboard NV cards.

http://www.macvidia.com/index.php?option=c...;Itemid=73&

I seen your post, you have a double whammy because you have GO and 512MB.

Follow the readme editing in your dev id into the kext listed. You can try with NVidiaEFI after Titan is set up. Try with Titan in Extensions and with it removed.

Edited by joe75

hmmm my GeForce Go 7600 256 MB is running at native rez 1440x900 qe and ci working. used natit optional install jas 10.4.8, that's it

Yea, the ones with only 256MB are much easier to get working. Congrats! Maybe you could add your Laptop to your sig? :thumbsup_anim:

QUESTION: How does one modify the Info.plist files???? I mean the process from A to Z, step-by-step? I try to use nano on the .kext files and it can't find the /Contents/Info.plist file. Arrrg! I'm such a Mac OS X NOOB!

:thumbsup_anim:

How I FINALLY got to 1280 x 1024 on my GeForce Go 7600, 512MB (but no Core Image or Quartz Extreme).

Steps I took to try installing video drivers:

1) Expanded the Accelerated.RAR Get files here! to my USB flash drive from a PC, then inserted into booted Mac (with a clean install).

2) Launched Terminal and issued the sudo -s command with my password to become root.

3) Copied NVKextS_TITAN_10_4_8.tar.bz2 to the desktop, then double clicked on it which created NVKexts_TITAN folder on the desktop.

4) Copied the 4 NVDAVxx.kext files to the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

5) Edited the NVDAV40Hal.kext to reflect my hardware ID of 0398

6) Copied NVDAResman and GeForce .kext files to the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

7) Edited the hardware IDs to my 0398 ID in NVDAResman and Geforce .kext files.

8) Changed permisions on files in following way from within terminal:

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

9) Restarted, and system booted fine, but at the default 1024x768. I noticed that tearing / artifact issues were gone though!

To try to improve the resolution, I next did the following:

10) Edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist by moving the file to the desktop,

moving original file to the trash, modifying file on desktop like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.

com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Next, moved the file back to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

10) Needed to change permisions on com.apple.Boot.plist and did so with the following command from terminal:

chown -R root:admin /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

chmod -R 755 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

11) Restarted, and system booted fine, and resolution went to 1280x1024! Very nice for me! :)

Now we just need to find a way to get Core Image or Quartz Extreme working in order to use Final Cut.

Now you can try with NVidiaEFI, if you want :thumbsup_anim:

Remove Titan and replace with nvEFI, sudo chown/chmod and repair permissions. The latest build is trying for 512 support but you need to test to find out. Hopefully full support is just around the corner.

hmmm my GeForce Go 7600 256 MB is running at native rez 1440x900 qe and ci working. used natit optional install jas 10.4.8, that's i

mmmmm... Thade work without a "banding" problem on a color shadings???

Now you can try with NVidiaEFI, if you want :)

Remove Titan and replace with nvEFI, sudo chown/chmod and repair permissions. The latest build is trying for 512 support but you need to test to find out. Hopefully full support is just around the corner.

Thanks Joe, you're reading my mind! :( I am trying that as I type. Will of course let all know what happens.

The way I am approaching this is with another clean install, but NOT installing any Vid drivers from the JaS DVD. Will down load the 512 inhanced 1.0.2 file, copy to .../Extensions then use chown and chmod on it, then reboot. Am I missing any steps here?

Thanks!

mmmmm... Thade work without a "banding" problem on a color shadings???

His machine has 256MB not 512, so his is more likely to work without as many headaches. I think he has an AMD CPU and chipset also; totally differnt animal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now you can try with NVidiaEFI, if you want :)

It almost worked! The screen changed white for a moment, then I saw the familiar blue and got excited, I could even tell that it switched to a much higher video mode... but then I got the dreaded "You need to restart your computer." :)

I bet there is something simple that can be done now to make this work ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I did:

- Put the latest NVidiaEFI.kext file into the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

- In Terminal:

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVidiaEFI.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVidiaEFI.kext

reboot

That's all I did, so if I missed something, please let me know.

Just finished downloading the Tubgirl image so that I can apply Myzar's NForce SATA patch to it. I don't think this is going to get me much further than I was, but at least it's a start. I'd just like to see if my drives are visible during install via the patch. check out this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5985&st=280

for more information on the NForce SATA driver being developed, as well as a ppf patch for Tubgirl's AMD 1048 Final ISO.

I'll report back with the results.

Well, the results of the patched Tubgirl ISO are somewhat hopeful. I didn't expect to get things fully working, just wanted to see my hd... and was the extent of it.

The patched image was able to see my SATA hd and partitions, but I chose to install on the external hd anyway.

This was probably the best choice because upon rebooting, the system started to freeze when accessing the HD. I simply removed the IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleNForceATA.kext and rebooted. After that, I was back to square one, but at least had the Tubgirl FINAL image.

Luckily, I had the wireless.support.pkg on my USB stick and was able to install that to get the internet working. I tried the latest NvidiaEFI, but it doesn't seem to work too well on this model laptop. I had the older version working but it didn't support QE/CI. So right now I've got 1024x768 and working wifi. Not too bad I guess. This USB keyboard/mouse problem is starting to bug me though. Kind of puts a damper on the whole mobility thing.

I'm going to keep an eye on the medevil NForce SATA threads as well as the NVidiaEFI threads. I suppose those 2 drivers are the key to getting things working on this hp dv6119us. So try them out, and don't forget about the Wireless.Support.pkg. Without that pkg, the wireless lan can't seem to find any routers... even though the device is detected.

Wireless.Support.pkg.zip

Thank you so much!

after testing about 10 different ApplePS2Controller.kext files, I think I've found one that works about 75% of the time.

It was one of the ones in that second link you gave me. I believe it was this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry96076

Just in case it wasn't, I'll repost the working driver file (fixed keyboard AND trackpad on dv6119us)

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Edited by debauchery1st

Has anyone gotten the audio working? this dv6119us laptop has NVidia HD audio, which uses the intel8x0 and intel-hda-audio ALSA drivers in linux.

I've tried the AzaliaAudio.pkg that Thade reccomended, and I've gotten the same results so far. Audio working, but no frontpanel jack recognition. Has anyone gotten further with the front panel audio jacks? (headphone jack)

Anyone attempt this on a dv9210us yet? I just got the laptop and was debating on whether or not to/what to install. it's got the zmd tl-52 processor (turion 64x2) 2 gb ram, 120 gb sata, integrated wireless (broadcom, i think) NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) with up to 288MB (shared video memory). So if anyone out there has a good starting point, as far as what image and drivers, kernels, patches, etc, i would be greatly appreciative.

Anyone attempt this on a dv9210us yet? I just got the laptop and was debating on whether or not to/what to install. it's got the zmd tl-52 processor (turion 64x2) 2 gb ram, 120 gb sata, integrated wireless (broadcom, i think) NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) with up to 288MB (shared video memory). So if anyone out there has a good starting point, as far as what image and drivers, kernels, patches, etc, i would be greatly appreciative.

You're pretty much in the same boat as the rest of us. your broadcom wireless will work with the driver and instructions I posted on page 1 or 2, your video card will work without QE/CI for now (drivers are developing)... and in order to install any image, you need to have an external usb hd available. It may be possible to install internally with the patched tubgirl image, but I'd recommend against it until the drivers are fully operational.

If you have an external hd, go grab a copy of the tubgirl amd final image and feel free to join this thread, test installation methods, and develop a guide for installing to your particular model notebook.

Same here. My dv6226 booted from a 120Gb SATA harddrive, come to think of it... It did give a no hdd message at first, but I created a new FAT32 partition and it worked.

I chose the intel950 driver, SSE3, and 10.4.4 loginwindow. Installed fine. First boot quick as heck, Broadcom 4311 detected and already connected to the net. No audio, duh. And all resolutions available for video, no QE/CI...

Rebooted, and now shows AirPort card not configured, but there's no where TO configure it! Also get an error about intel915.kext needs to be re-installed, though I don't remember choosing to install it... :D

Any ideas what's up?

Thx,

Nd

Same here. My dv6226 booted from a 120Gb SATA harddrive, come to think of it... It did give a no hdd message at first, but I created a new FAT32 partition and it worked.

I chose the intel950 driver, SSE3, and 10.4.4 loginwindow. Installed fine. First boot quick as heck, Broadcom 4311 detected and already connected to the net. No audio, duh. And all resolutions available for video, no QE/CI...

Rebooted, and now shows AirPort card not configured, but there's no where TO configure it! Also get an error about intel915.kext needs to be re-installed, though I don't remember choosing to install it... :)

Any ideas what's up?

Thx,

Nd

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

find the part that says en0 and change it to en1. Also change the part that says <integer> from 0 to 1. Run diskutil to repair permissions and reboot.

your card should appear in the network preferences and be configurable.

Thanx. I have a 250gb firewire/usb MyBook premium. will that suffice? and will i still be able to boot into vista? I know it sounds like a dumb question but i had installed xp on the external a couple of weeks ago and that was fine but it wouldn't allow me to boot back into vista.

Should work fine. XP overwrites the MBR, as does Vista and darwin loader too. If your installing OSX on the HDD, darwin should notice Vista after the install, you just have to hit F8 when booting. Could be wrong of course... My external HDD is only for backup purposes.

Hope this helps,

Nd