PCGenRTL8139Ethernet v1.1.0 (8.4.1) & v1.2.0 (8.8.1) released

orByte

129 posts in this topic

Hi, I have tried the driverr but i fails... any idea, the output is here

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x1904 deviceID = 0x8139 revisionID = 0x0001

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at febffc00

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at E801

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: using PIO access mode...

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=2aa9ec00.

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Software reset failed...

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Attempting hard reset...

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: chip reset timed out

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: initAdapter() failed

i am stuck...

Hi this means that this driver will not work for your card.

Best.

On other news a Leo version of the driver has been made by John Stormdrake. People having problems under Leo should try this.

Well I'd would really appreciate some help.I'm running IATKOS 1.0 - the Leopard install. All has gone well except that my machine refuses to find the 8139 wifi card.I have deleted all references to the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext I could find and then installed the John Stormdrake version from 30/12/07."about this mac" system extensions reports that this extension is installed. It tells me it is valid, it is authorised and that the dependencies are satisfied.If I go to /system/library/extensions/ionetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/applertl8139ethernet.kext/contents/info.plistthe realtek 8139 card is there, complete with the correct device and vendor id, which is 0x813910ec under IOPCIMatchI know the wifi card works, because it worked under Windows Vista and also works under Ubuntu (which is how I found the device and vendor ID)The only hint I can get from the directories that something isn't right is that /system/library contains a file Extensions.mkext with a date and time stamp of when I installed the new drivers. This is the same date and time stamp as /system/library/extensions, so I guess both relate to the new driver installation.I'm not clear where this should appear as an option - I assume it should appear as an ethernet card. However Ethernet shows "Cable Unplugged" on adaptor en0, with no other adaptor presentI guess this must be very close to working, but haven't any idea where to go next - all ideas welcome!A bit more info - network utility reports that my interface (en0) is a Realtek 8139. Link Status is "Inactive" It also gives me what looks like a MAC Address 00:03:0d:5b:40:08I guess that is some progress - I was assuming that en0 was the built in network card

richardyates i think the problem is because you card is wifi and the chipset have the same name but it's completely diferent model and that is unsuported rigth now, this driver is only for onboard or pci that uses cable, in you case you must look for a wifi driver who may suit for you card

any way i think this is the problem, anyway i dont have a wifi card to test, if someome have a more detailed explain please post you results

Hi all,

I have a Realtek 8139d based card installed , which works perfectly with windows.But when i check for pci card in system profiler in Leopard, it dosent even list the card.

I have tried installing PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext, which is loading with some errors.

I cant figure out the problem is in the driver or something to do with the hardware installation .

help really appreciated , thanks

Hey all. Just wondering if I could take this opportunity to pick your gargantuan brains.

Using a Dell Dimension 9200 - on-board Intel NIC not working, so I went and bought a cheapo Dynamode NC-100TX-DL internal PCI NIC (after unsuccessfully trying a few NICs we had lying around in the office).

DCPI Manager reports that I have:

1904:8139

Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co., Ltd.

RTL8139D [Realtek] PCI 10/100BaseTX ethernet adaptor

So I've been looking for drivers for Realtek RTL819D cards. I've tried PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext and John Stormdrake's AppleRTL8139Ethernet for Leopard. This is on a completely fresh install of Kalyway. Nothing appears to be happening at all.

In System Profiler, I can't see any of these extensions being loaded.

Should either of these drivers work? Or do I have a very unfortunate unsupported card? Thanks for any help!

Hey all. Just wondering if I could take this opportunity to pick your gargantuan brains.

Using a Dell Dimension 9200 - on-board Intel NIC not working, so I went and bought a cheapo Dynamode NC-100TX-DL internal PCI NIC (after unsuccessfully trying a few NICs we had lying around in the office).

DCPI Manager reports that I have:

1904:8139

Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co., Ltd.

RTL8139D [Realtek] PCI 10/100BaseTX ethernet adaptor

So I've been looking for drivers for Realtek RTL819D cards. I've tried PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext and John Stormdrake's AppleRTL8139Ethernet for Leopard. This is on a completely fresh install of Kalyway. Nothing appears to be happening at all.

In System Profiler, I can't see any of these extensions being loaded.

Should either of these drivers work? Or do I have a very unfortunate unsupported card? Thanks for any help!

I think you ll need to add the driver ID details to the info.plist file.

Best

I think I've tried adding the device ID number to the plist, but to no avail. Can you suggest which driver I should use?

Should one of these drivers work? Might there be a reason why the driver might not work, even though its based on the realtek 8139 chipset.

If it doesn't work after trying to add the device ID again, should I go out and buy a different card, and give up on this one? If I do one, can anyone suggest one that is known to work on 10.5.1 Kalyway?

Thanks!

On my computer with Kalyway 10.5.1, RTL8139C is working out of the box as they say, but its working so slowly that I can't download anything from Local Network or Internet!

Can anybody give me some advise what could be problem?

Bugsy -_-

I have been trying to fix my rtl8139d card for more than month now with no success..

Finally exchanged the dreaded card with a friend ...

Installed the RTl8139C ,loaded the PCGen kext and boom my network started workin.. :D:)

Thanks a lot orByte for the driver!!.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10), Posted Today, 01:17 PM | Report Edit | Quote

Is there a solution to make rtl8139 stable on iatkos ( ToH:xnu-1228.0.2~1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386)?

The driver PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext works. Only when heavy network traffic, the networkinterface lost connections. The follow specs from the network card:

0000:00:0a.0 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 32 (8000ns min, 16000ns max)

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17

Region 0: I/O ports at d000

Region 1: Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)

When kext is loaded, all looks okay:

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x10ec deviceID = 0x8139 revisionID = 0x0010

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at d001

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at FEBFF800

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=d000.

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Ethernet address 00:02:44:71:11:9d

Thanks for the great release.

Spec system Asrock 4coredual-vsta, GeForce 7300 GT, SATA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi orByte,

Your driver works on Leopard releases, however, on nforce mobos (I dont know if the issue exist on other chipsets as well) has drops after heavy usage... Looking at your notes, you are saying specific IONetworkingFamily, and kernel versions in mind when compiling the driver... as last kernel to be 8.8.1 in your note, since 8.8.1 the kernel had a major change since than! new scheduler and some other things added to all future kernels after 8.8.1 I think...

I am just wondering, if you could recompile your driver to get it work on new IONetworkingFamily (i dont know if it is kernel depended), and new kernel on Leopard releases... If you could consider recompling, we will be greatefull to your efforts... Thank you...

note: I tried the one you posted as link (for leo one), it has same results... drops the connection and cant get back on, so I dont know if the driver has some flow control issues or miscommunication with kernel... it s odd but device showing up ok, but it doesnt connect to network, and cant get ip address, even if u unload/reload the driver... i m not so technical, but if it exist, something related to flow and if any buffers exist it cant flush them or something like that occuring, that only restart gets it back on... but when you have heavy usage, it disconnects and never come alive until next restart...

note 2: my guess is like i said in previously, problem is related to either driver design, or kernel, and caused by caches/buffers (if anything related to it in the driver) being flooded and cant be flushed automatically, not even reloading of the driver works, only full restart gets it back...

i ve this theory bcoz new kernels all after 8.8.1 had new scheduler that has a new function to flush caches/buffers (according to Kabyl, who made the nforce kernels after finding the cause and patching the nforce kernel available...) so if there is anything related to flushing caches/buffers in the rtl8139 driver structure, it is first to be looked... if you would we will all appreciate it...

Hi orByte,

Your driver works on Leopard releases, however, on nforce mobos (I dont know if the issue exist on other chipsets as well) has drops after heavy usage...

Sorry. I no longer own an RTL board and am no longer working on this project. However, my source code is out there. And interested parties pls. feel free to refer to it when making a new version. I think John Stormdrake had posted a Leo version (link at post 1 of this thread). That might be a good lead.

Best.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 8139D and a 8139C card. The C card didnt work at all and the D card establishes a connection gets IP but then nothing works :-( is there any solution? Tried already with unplugging computer for some minutes.

EDIT:

made a clean reinstall now with the iAtkos DVDs built in drivers for the 8139. Now the D card was found the C card still not. But if i have a bit more network load than with normal website browsing, the connection terminats :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John/orByte,

Running Xephyroth Leopard 10.5.2 on a Hackinstosh. Tried the Leo driver. Network very smooth, not slow - BUT dmesg and Console show these message recurring every few seconds:

{ 0 8003a03c} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

{ 1 8003a03c} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

{ 2 8003a03c} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

{ 3 8003a03c} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

Is this bad? Why is this happening?

Network Utility confirms these errors. There are zero Received packet errors - only errors are sent packets. But strangely (and fortunately!) it is not contributing to any network slowness or erratic behaviour.

Hello ,

I added my IOPCIMatch for the SiS900 (0x09001039) but therre is a problem ,

The driver seems to get the correct revisionID and the MMIO accessor btu dies on the reset

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x1039 deviceID = 0x0900 revisionID = 0x0091
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at e801
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at DFFFC000
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=e800.
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Continuing Operations...
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:20

thank's

Hello ,

I added my IOPCIMatch for the SiS900 (0x09001039) but therre is a problem ,

The driver seems to get the correct revisionID and the MMIO accessor btu dies on the reset

com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x1039 deviceID = 0x0900 revisionID = 0x0091
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at e801
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at DFFFC000
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=e800.
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:20

thank's

Hi it looks like this driver does not support your network card. Your card likely has a different register layout that the RTL one. There might be a sis driver out there.

Best

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried this on my CompaQ Presaro R3000 (R3230us) that has onboard Realtek 8139 and it worked for me with JaS 10.4.8

I made sure that AppleRTL8139.kext was removed from both the ../Library/Extensions folder, and from within the IONetworkingFamily kext.

I used the following commands:

sudo su
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext
cp -R /PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext 	/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext
touch /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

Upon reboot, it worked for me. Thank you guys for making this thread. Two things though:

1 - It seems that my lan is still not detected, because when I go to the "System Preferences -- Network" area, built in ethernet does not seem active. But, when I plug in the ethernet, the lights come on from the jack and the internet works -- and yes, i made sure the airport was disabled.

2. - Good job guys!

Kalyway 10.5.2 runs without problems on my packard bell iMedia. But I want to know if I can get my wifi working.

Read thru this topic, but I didn't get much wiser :P

Maybe cause I been using OS X for just 1 singele day now (in my whole life!) :wacko::(:)

Can anyone tell me if my wifi will work?

And what I have to do to get it to work?!

See screenshot for little more info.

post-222347-1209509322_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...