Slick marketing

opieum

5 posts in this topic

Well maybe not so much apple altho they may (due to developers boxes) And intel makes a few extra bucks what with people like us buying up processors that are SSE3 compatible and all. I have to say this in the long term benefits apple a great deal and in the short term it benefits Intel some as well. Maybe not a whole lot but they make a nice amount out of it. Publicity and some cash from the motherboards and chips people are going out to get to make MAC OS X run.

Oh really?

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen anyone go out and buy a new system just to run a pirated, patched version of Mac os X.

And now, theres a patch to run PPC apps on an sse2 only processor.

So how the hell will they make money from this in the short term?

....I haven't seen anyone go out and buy a new system just to run a pirated, patched version of Mac os X...

I have. I didn't buy an entire new system, but I bought a new soundcard and wireless card to get ready for the broadcom driver that's under development.

I'm also thinking about buying an Intel Mac Mini once they come out, so I can enjoy OSX without all these hacks. They're making at least $400 off of me when their Intel Macs come out.

I doubt I'm the only person considering this, so they do stand to make some cash from this. They sure as hell aren't losing any.

Oh really?

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen anyone go out and buy a new system just to run a pirated, patched version of Mac os X.

And now, theres a patch to run PPC apps on an sse2 only processor.

So how the hell will they make money from this in the short term?

Ok short term cash for intel. People who have AMD XP processors OR intels without SSE2 support even may go out and buy these things. Just because YOU did'nt see it doesnt mean it isnt happening. I personally know 5 people who did just that. They are normally AMD people. And yes you are right about the patch it is out there. BUT people will still do that just to upgrade.

Apple in the long term does stand to gain quite abit. It shows them what kind of intrest people will have in their OS. The fact that people are going to great pains to make it work and buy hardware just to get it installed on thier systems speaks volumes to them as to what direction they may consider taking. Not that they will BUT it certainly helps.

They may decide they want to release it as a standalone OS with limited hardware support. This allows them to keep support costs down and profits up. This is an advantage to them if they see it that way which they may or may not.

And if you can't see how intel stands to gain something in the short term, that should be obvious. motherboards and CPU's that are compatible. In addition the chipsets. They have competition from VIA and Nvidia in the chipset arena.

From a buisness perspective they simply can't tip their hand BUT it is possible that this type of marketing will boost a somewhat ailing (publicity wise with the anti trust lawsuits) intel with some publicity that most if not all of their newer chipsets can run MAC OS X. Apple on the other hand gets a huge boost because there are people who could not make the jump to OSX because macs can be pricey. If some peopel had the hardware and just needed the software then in time they will see it being profitable in the future for them to just sell it in the same way windows is sold.

People say Apple is a hardware manufacturer. That is half true. They are a software manufacturer as well. OS X is proof of that so is iTunes and Quicktime and all the other stuff they produce. And that is purley software. So there is an explination. It is not THE expination as I dont work at apple and dont know what they are doing but it is speculation on my part based on what I have seen. I live in Silicon valley and I went to a computer store and noticed the shelf where the intel CPUS normally were was fairly barren. I would image that people are buying the prcessors and boards more than you might think.

I am not a fanatic about these thing just stating an observation with a possible reason. In the quote above I have not seen anything supporting your point of view. Just a comment that takes the self righteous tone. Support your conclusions with something. I am speculating and observing. So I have reason to say what I say. If you have a reason for your view then post it. All I see is a troll in the making if you can't add more to what you say.

I have been wanting an Apple Mac for years but just couldn't justify the cost of having both Windows and OSX.

Like most people out there Windows comes first because it's what most of us use for work. If I can have a Mac that will dual boot Windows OS when I need it, I'll be only too happy to buy one when they hit the shelves.

Until then I'll keep trying to get this OSX86 install working and hopefully have a bit of fun. Or maybe a nervous brakedown.

:D:wacko: