FIXED PCMCIA on 10.4.8 with 8.8.1! (EDITED 10-01-07 with new instructions!)

glitchman

42 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am currently posting this wirelessly using my PCMCIA broadcom card, on OSX 10.4.8 with Semthex's 8.8.1 Kernel. I have posted the kexts that i used to get it working, and i wish everyone else luck at getting it going. Make sure to chmod each of these kexts to 755, chown them to root:wheel, delete the kext cache, fix permissions and reboot. Also, if your PCMCIA controller's device ids differ from mine, you can change them in the IOPCCardfamily.kext Make sure that ALL of these kexts are in the extensions directory before you reboot the computer. Im not sure which kext exactly let me get pcmcia working, but all of these made it happen. Good luck to all, and happy modding!

Also, i acquired these kexts from various sources, so i am not sure who to give credit to, but to those of you who supplied these kexts, we are greatly appreciative.

PS, use these at your own risk, and as always, make sure you have a backup of your install before doing this. Make sure you back up each of these KEXTS before beginning so that if you make a mistake, you will be able to restore the working copies from the terminal in the installation DVD. Good luck!

EDIT 10-01-2007: Just wanted to let everyone know that these kexts work perfectly under 10.4.10 using the 8.9.1 kernel. I would imagine they work on the 8.10.3 kernel also, but i am not running that one because i need speedstep support. Enjoy all!

PS: For those of you who were having trouble with the directions on how to install these kexts, here is an easier explanation.

1) Copy all the kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions folder, overwriting the existing kexts. (I am not sure if all of them are needed, its just that this is how it worked for me.)

2) open Terminal and type cd /System/Library/Extensions

3) type sudo -s and enter your root password

4) you must now set the permissions for the new kernel extensions. Type chmod -R 755 extensionname.kext, and then chown -R root:wheel extensionname.kext

5) Repeat step 4 for each extension you installed, replacing "extensionname.kext" with each of the filenames that you moved into the Extensions folder earlier

6) navigate to /System/Library and delete the files Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

7) close the terminal, and reboot the system.

8) you should now have a fully functional PCMCIA cardbus controller, without a kernel panic! enjoy all!

Extensions.zip

Edited by glitchman

I tried your fix, and I get some odd results. First, IOPCCardFamily isn't loaded at startup, so I have to manually load it with kextload. But, even after I load it my pc cards don't get recognized.

Any ideas?

keys, you should go into Windows and get the device id and vendor id for your pcmcia controller, and then put them into Info.plist inside of iopcifamily.kext, and make sure you chmod, chown, repair, and reboot. If the kext doesnt load, then load it manually and as long as your permissions are correct it will load on the next reboot. Dont forget to delete the cache!

glitchman, That worked perfect!! I use a WG511 with GTDriver which worked with 10.4.7. 10.4.8 was unable to see any PCMCIA card, until your fix. Thanks again man!! :)

Your WG511 is working? Could you please tell me which driver you're using? And how it looks like in the system when working?

I've got WG511 too, but the configration application never appear...

keys, you should go into Windows and get the device id and vendor id for your pcmcia controller, and then put them into Info.plist inside of iopcifamily.kext, and make sure you chmod, chown, repair, and reboot. If the kext doesnt load, then load it manually and as long as your permissions are correct it will load on the next reboot. Dont forget to delete the cache!

Er...

Put them into Info.plist inside of IOPCIFamily.kext..... but where? Red? Orange?

My PCMCIA Controller is Texas PCIxx21 VEN_104C&DEV_8031

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>IOPCIFamily</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.8, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2004</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>I/O Kit PCI Family</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.8</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.8</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOPCI2PCIBridge</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>pci-bridge</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

<key>IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x00261011</string>

</dict>

<key>IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x06040000&0xffff0000</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>

<string>Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2004</string>

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.1</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Edited by Gato_shin

• 3 weeks later...

My card is a D-Link DFE-690TXD.

The device ID is 1340 and the vendor ID is 1186.

My questions are:

1. I installed a PPC driver for my card and, even though I had deleted the DFE690.kext file, there is an icon that keeps appearing in the menu bar, next to the clock. How do I disable it?

2. How do I check whether IOPCCardFamily.kext is loaded or not? If it is not automatically loading, how do I make it automatic?

3. Where do I change the information for IOPCCardFamily to reflect my device ID and vendor ID?

Thanks for the help.

Hello everyone. I am currently posting this wirelessly using my PCMCIA broadcom card, on OSX 10.4.8 with Semthex's 8.8.1 Kernel. I have posted the kexts that i used to get it working, and i wish everyone else luck at getting it going. Make sure to chmod each of these kexts to 755, chown them to root:wheel, delete the kext cache, fix permissions and reboot. Also, if your PCMCIA controller's device ids differ from mine, you can change them in the IOPCCardfamily.kext Make sure that ALL of these kexts are in the extensions directory before you reboot the computer. Im not sure which kext exactly let me get pcmcia working, but all of these made it happen. Good luck to all, and happy modding!

Also, i acquired these kexts from various sources, so i am not sure who to give credit to, but to those of you who supplied these kexts, we are greatly appreciative.

PS, use these at your own risk, and as always, make sure you have a backup of your install before doing this. Make sure you back up each of these KEXTS before beginning so that if you make a mistake, you will be able to restore the working copies from the terminal in the installation DVD. Good luck!

Hi, can you also post the IONetworkingFamily.kext, please?

• 3 months later...

boys, I need help...

i have a toshiba a100-115 with pcixx12

these are my info

memory at f0907000

memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000

memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000

I/O WIndow 0: 00004400-000044ff

I/O WIndow 1: 00004800-000048ff

someone can try to make for me the right kext?

now i'm triing with this driver http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29583

in console i get this error:

adfc-asfgvs-computer:~ root# dmesg | grep PC

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d1527079; max speed s400.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/HTS541080G9SA00 Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2

adfc-asfgvs-computer:~ root#

What I have to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody point me in the right direction of some detailed instructions that explain how to install these kexts. I have only used linux for about a year max and do not understand what it means when glitchman says to chmod to 755. And yes I do know how to get into the terminal and have read the lowfat linux tutorial but this mac stuff is a little more difficult for me. Any help would be great and my computer is a toshiba a105-s4074. I am trying forst to get the PCMCIA controller active so i could hook up my linksys wcp54g v1.2.

• 3 weeks later...

can anybody give me a short crashcourse how to use this with a "10.4.9 uphuck release"? it isn't possible for me ti get another (older) version because my internet connection is very slow.

can i use this package with the 8.9.1 kernel which is included on my system or can i change the acutally running kernel?

thx alot :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Glitchman/all

I am a MAC OSX newbie :) but I am experienced in linux. Trying to get the PCMCIA to work on a T61 Thinkpad. According to wondows the hardware ID is :

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0476&SUBSYS_20C617AA&REV_BA

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0476&SUBSYS_20C617AA

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0476&CC_060700

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0476&CC_0607

where exatly on the info.plist file do I type in the dev/hw id? its not cler to me yet.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Tks!

• 3 weeks later...

:P:angel:

First of all i'd like to say hello to all and then give a big thank you to glitchman!!!

I try his extensions file and my laptop hp ze4907ea(4900 series) with PCMCIA Controller TI 1410

works fine. I didn't thouch anything just copy and paste the IOPCIFamily.kext and

IOPCCardFamily.kext files in system/library/extensions repair pers and reboot and all running

perfect.

I use uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4 r3

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!