• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
i unzipped and runned it at a FAT partitioned drive..
folder would be something like /mac/downloads/firefox/775dual-vsta/install.command

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
im currently browsing my drive from the install dvd
any suggestions on things I could try?

maybe if I uninstall everything your command installs manually, it will at least boot?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:A piano that's in tune and hardware that I don't have to write drivers for.
Ok, good news and bad news.

Good news is that I know what happened.

Bad news is that you just helped me find another bug in my code. As I've said this is my first installer, so... I don't have a wealth of experience to draw on. The code works - Currently - so that it looks for the files to be unzipped to the desktop. So, since they weren't there it removed the old versions, and didn't find any new versions to replace it with. I'll fix this as soon as I'm done writing this post. But, here is what you need to do...

Copy ViaRhine, AppleHDA, and AppleVIAATA from where you unzipped them to you /system/library/extensions/ folder. Once that is done, your system will work properly again. Right now it has no drivers whatsoever for you VIA hard drive controllers.

You should be able to copy by using the terminal off of the install disc. So the command would be something like:

mv /mac/downloads/firefox/775dual-vsta/AppleVIAATA.kext /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

The other option would be to install MacDrive on your Vista installation and you would be able to do it with a GUI. Personally, if I do a dual boot with a system, I like to have MacDrive on the windows install just because of convenience.

I apologize for this, but I'll have it fixed in a minute. I guess somethings you just don't catch yourself.

Thanks,
Stephen

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
thanks a lot!
Im gonna try it now using macdrive, and hoping it works, Im just glad I was able to help you code a bug out..
nice work on this anyway.

Ill let you know if everything works.

thanks again,
nik

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
macdrive doesnt work on vista =P
so now Im gonna try using the install dvd
the only problem is, the files I need are on a different physical drive then the one they need to be copied to...
could you tell me how to mount a FAT drive in the install dvd's terminal?
and how to copy from drive to drive?

im kind of a terminal newbie..

thanks

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:A piano that's in tune and hardware that I don't have to write drivers for.
mount -uw /dev/diskXsY

find X and Y by using

diskutil list

You should see your partition and it will list it (ex. disk1s1)

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
if I try to mount it, it gives me an
"unknown special file or file system /dev/disk1s2"
error..

is the system on the install dvd perhaps non-fat compatible?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight.

To mount a FAT32 partition you need to use mount_msdos not mount

My bad

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
okay.. after figuring out how to use mount_msdos, it gives me an error: "msdos file system is not available"
.. could I load it manually?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Load what manually?

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
the msdos.fs filesystem support?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
mount your HFS+ driver first then try
kextload /system/library/extensions/msdosfs.kext

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Alrighty,

Version 4.0 is out. It fixes the problem that nikje and I are dealing with here. It will ask you where you unzipped your files to - and if it can't find them it won't delete or change your current ones. In other words, it won't mess with anything until it knows it can do it right. Yeah, I know this should have been done sooner, but I neither had the knowledge nor the time to find how to do it. Finding info on bash commands is easy, but finding things like -e (that would be an argument, not option) for the if command is a little time consuming when you don't know what exactly to put into the search engine.

Anywho, I also removed the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the package; since it wasn't being used. I ran the script through using a different location than the desktop, so all should be good.

Stephen

Edited by thestevo, 27 December 2006 - 07:31 PM.

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
that doesnt work.. somehow there are no kexts on the install dvd whatsoever
i think I should just reinstall mac os x.

thanks for your help anyhow.

I will report if your package does the trick after a reinstall and immediately applying the package..

thanks for your help

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Sorry, nikje,

I must admit, I've never actually had to use mount_msdos, I only know the theory behind it. Perhaps somebody as knowledgeable as Rammjet would be able to save the day here. Again, I apologize for this situation, but I do believe this latest version should be the ticket. It has no hardcoded locations whatsoever. It will prompt you for where you unzipped the folder and then it will check for each and every file before it makes changes to your system. Please be sure and post your results, it would be a peace of mind to know that it works.

Be sure to get the latest version before you use again!

Stephen

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
Running Terminal on the install DVD, you do not need to mount any disks. If they are mountable, they are already mounted. But since the install DVD is the root directory, all mounted partitions are under the "Volumes" directory.

/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)
/Volumes/(name of-FAT32-partition) <== might be called "Untitled" if you didn't name it.

Diskutil list will tell you the name right after the type "DOS_FAT_32". Mine is named "WINXP"

/dev/disk1
   #:				   type name			   size	  identifier
   0: FDisk_partition_scheme					*372.6 GB disk1
   1:			 DOS_FAT_32 WINXP			  10.0 GB   disk1s1
   2:			  Apple_HFS MacOSX			 16.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:			  Apple_HFS OSX Test		   10.0 GB   disk1s3
   4:			  Apple_HFS Data			   336.6 GB  disk1s4

cp /Volumes/(name-of-FAT32-partition/(filename) /Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)/(filename)

Sudo is not needed when working from Terminal on the install DVD or from single-user mode (F8 followed by -s)

nikjenikje

nikjenikje

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
that doesnt work either, rammjet.
I have the jas 10.4.8 reseed dvd and it's not mounting fat32 filesystems
not at all

so I just installed the whole system
and now it's working just fine.
Im about to install the patch stephen made

I will let you know if it works.

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Ok, file is back up. Sorry, mediamax was being really slow and wouldn't let me change my files. Right now its hosted on filelodge, which requires that you click one link then sit through like a ten second advertisement. If anybody has a better suggestion for a file host, I'm all ears. I wish it was small enough to attach to the post...

Stephen

glitchman

glitchman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
how come i cannot download the file from filelodge?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
I just tried it, works fine for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy