**10.4.8** ASRock 775Dual-VSTA drivers and installer script

thestevo

75 posts in this topic

Version 4.1:

Primary Mirror

Your one stop shop to get Semthex 10.4.8 working properly on an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA.

Run this on the first boot of OS X, do not shut down the computer without applying the Apple USB patch (which is included in this installer) or it will not boot again. But, take note, on the first boot you will have NO USB and NO network. I'd say burn this onto a CD-RW, or if you are dual booting you can grab it off another partition.

Working SATA

Working USB

Audio: 5.1 on AppleHDA

Working Network

Natit with dual monitor support optional.

Changes in 4.1:

* Support for Case Sensitive volumes.

Known Issues:

* Sound isn't working. I couldn't pin people down on whether it was working or not for a while. It works for me, but it sounds like it isn't working for everybody. I'll try to get on that.

Stephen

Edited by thestevo

mismamente,

I saw that you got yours working on the AppleHDA topic. Could you post exactly what you did to get it working? I tried the installers and got errors. I assume you were doing it manually. I would have, but I just haven't had time yet this holiday season. If I get AppleHDA working on my system I'll incorporate it into the installer.

Colonels system profiler patch is a patch released by the user Colonel to make the system information work correctly in the system profiler. Usually when you enter the system profiler the first window that it has up says something to the effect of 'error getting this information,' this fixes that. Granted a trivial annoyance, but it is a simple fix, so I thought I would just include that and fix it at the same time.

I've played with including Natit as an option during the install.

Yes, no?

Stephen

Ok, I found out today that all 1.0 versions were just a nice thought and really nothing more than a zip file full of patches.

Version 2.0 has been tested, by me personally. I had to do a reinstall anyway so I thought, lets see if it works. Well needless to say it was full of bugs, but not now everything is working and I didn't fix anything outside of the script.

Thank you mismamente for your kext. Skippyretard has just come out with a new installer, we'll see if it works for me. If it does, I'll incorporate the installer. If it doesn't then I'll use your kext. One way or another, when I get that working I'll have the next version be 3.0 I'll include the option to install Natit from the script. New one probably coming out tomorrow morning.

If you want anything included, you must ask for it and provide a kext or link to installer.

Okey dokey. Its 12:18, so I guess I made my prediction pretty well.

v3.0: Audio is now fixed with AppleHDA and Natit is an option during the install.

I don't plan on changing this unless somebody wants something added, or I hear there is a bug.

Also, just FYI, if you already have a kext in place, this script deals with that. You can run this on a partially working install to get it up to snuff.

Stephen

I just installed this

and after I did a reboot, the system hangs with a "forbidden" sign over the top of the apple logo on the boot screen.

I tried booting with -x, -v, -f and -s options in different combinations

nothing works

so I'm not able to boot at all.

any suggestions on how to fix it (maybe using the install dvd to boot?)

thanks,

Nik

Glitchman: You need the JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Only DVD Reseed. If you use this disc, you should be able to install to a PATA drive. If your having this issue after you install upon the first reboot, please look at the wiki article for this motherboard.

Nikje: You can use this on an installation that is currently working and it should update all kexts just fine. I apologize for the hosting, but this file too large to post as an attachment.

What was the setup on your system? Did you install this on your system that you already had running? Secondly, when you say 'different combinations' does that mean you've tried booting with just -f as a kernel option? This seems to be a common problem with this board that it needs -f after repairing permissions for the first time. I'm not sure if thats what causes it, but for me that's when it seems to appear. I always add -f to my boot.plist

Edited by thestevo

hi

I did install on my system tha already worked, yeah

but it had some glitches, so I thought this might work.

I'm not able to boot AT ALL

not even into single user mode

and yes I tried just -f as a boot option, still hangs on me.

do you know what it is that makes a "forbidden" icon appear over the grey apple logo when booting?

The "forbidden" icon appears when the system can not find an hard drive controller that use for booting the computer, in this case. If you were to boot into verbose mode, you would most likely see it waiting saying, "Still waiting for root device" I believe.

What errors did you get?

i just installed using the install command..

it didn't ask me for natit.

so im assuming it went ahead and tried to install it, seeing I got those errors and all

eh

and yea I could boot windows vista, but windows wont let me look at apple journaled drives..

also, last time I got that still waiting for root device error, I only had to type -x or -f and my system would boot fine. but now, it wont boot at all, not even into safe mode.

I think the only real way for me to look at my drive is to boot from the install dvd, launch terminal, mount the drive and browse?

have you got any idea what I could do to make it work, then?

Ok, good news and bad news.

Good news is that I know what happened.

Bad news is that you just helped me find another bug in my code. As I've said this is my first installer, so... I don't have a wealth of experience to draw on. The code works - Currently - so that it looks for the files to be unzipped to the desktop. So, since they weren't there it removed the old versions, and didn't find any new versions to replace it with. I'll fix this as soon as I'm done writing this post. But, here is what you need to do...

Copy ViaRhine, AppleHDA, and AppleVIAATA from where you unzipped them to you /system/library/extensions/ folder. Once that is done, your system will work properly again. Right now it has no drivers whatsoever for you VIA hard drive controllers.

You should be able to copy by using the terminal off of the install disc. So the command would be something like:

mv /mac/downloads/firefox/775dual-vsta/AppleVIAATA.kext /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

The other option would be to install MacDrive on your Vista installation and you would be able to do it with a GUI. Personally, if I do a dual boot with a system, I like to have MacDrive on the windows install just because of convenience.

I apologize for this, but I'll have it fixed in a minute. I guess somethings you just don't catch yourself.

Thanks,

Stephen

macdrive doesnt work on vista =P

so now Im gonna try using the install dvd

the only problem is, the files I need are on a different physical drive then the one they need to be copied to...

could you tell me how to mount a FAT drive in the install dvd's terminal?

and how to copy from drive to drive?

im kind of a terminal newbie..

thanks