10.4.8 live/install DVD with semthex kernel

modbin

68 posts in this topic

Didn't get any "unable to copy contents" message; I did get a couple of 'copy' messages related to ramdisk, followed by "done creating ramdisk".

To make sure, I redid everything, first by fixing permissions on osx install (since I've messed a bit with it since), then following the guide.

Still pasting the "/private/var/root/Library/Preferences" folder in the "/private/etc/ramdisk/contents/Library/" folder... is this confirmed? No mention in the guide.

Or should it go into "/private/etc/RamDisk/contents/private/var/root/Library"? :blink:

So after a new image, for which I repaired the iso permissions (just a few repairs) and verified disk (no problem found), I tried again.

(To repair permissions on the iso, I had to use Revenge's suggestion)

Same result.

(Note: I do get a diskarb error, but that might be a vmware thing.

The "notify[69]: config file /etc/notify.conf not owned by root: ignored" definitely doesn't look good.

Nor "cupsd: unable to read configuration file '/private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' exiting!"

And then "Failed to stat homedir chdir returns -1 for /var/root"

)

====

Apart from this, I did put the "-v -legacy" in the plist. But about the "-legacy": is this related to semthex's suggestion to use this in his former kernels (not needed for recent ones)? Or something necessary for the Live osx to work properly?

I wanna try it.

This is great, but I have some issues with this part too:

im tryin this now.. these aint very clear [to me ]

now paste in the following symlinks

/Library/Caches

/Library/Logs

/System/Library/Caches <- paste where? and its resisting

/Users

paste in back the automount folder

paste in the RamDisk command into /usr/bin/

paste in /System/Installation/CDIS <- FROM where?

I'll start the "new" 10.4.8 intallation on a new partition while I wait for further explanations!

Thanks!

just fixed the ramdisk error (root folder is not located..), it should work now for everyone.

If you got this error the main ramdisk didn`t start up correctly, resulting in a non working system.

I will upload a new zip tomorrow.

modbin :)

Part II

ALWAYS WORK AS ROOT!

please test in vmware first.

vmware can`t handle hybrid iso/hfs+ media! - mount the iso with daemon tools

you just need to replace the /private/etc/rc script.

make shure you have the ramdisk and ramdisk.inkernel folders at /

You also need /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount.plist from a install dvd

make shure all integer values are 0 in

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

delete everything in /Library/Preferences/ exept com.apple.loginwindow.plist, /SystemConfiguration and /DirectoryService

delete everything inside /DirectoryService

just to be save for the first run.

delete the caches inside

/private/etc/RamDisk/contents/Library/Caches

/private/etc/RamDisk/contents/System/Library/Caches

the folder

/private/etc/RamDisk/contents/Library/ApplicationSupport is not needed - delete it.

repair permissions with diskutility!

hdiutil attach yourisohere -readwrite -owners on

kernel flag -legacy is not needed in new kernel

you may want to create a working Extensions.mkext

boot your hd install, login as root and open a terminal window

cd desktop

kextcache -a i386 -m Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

notes:

-the diskarb error (I also get this error on my hd install, can someone confirm?)

-the launchd bug: launchd.c:1990:17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1 (same as above)

on 8.4.1 based systems I get ioctl ipv6 file exists

-if you boot native watch out for netinfo connection failed for 127.0.0.1/local

(I also got this error on my hd install sometimes, not shure if it is my hardware)

if you get this error you can`t login,

setting up the loopback address failed and netinfo can`t talk to itself

the passwd won`t work even if it is correct

-if you get errors it is 90% related to the rc script.

open it with textedit to get some idea what I did and improve it.

-I won`t upload this dvd with my 56k so don`t wait for it!

greets,

modbin

http://www.mediafire.com/?dntzyyxantn

Found some time to test these latest changes, in vmware.

They actually solved the 'root' and dock problems.

Still a long pause after initial booting... well, only slightly more than a minute actually, nothing dramatic.

The connection to my machine through vmware (host connection only) showed up in Network, but 'alias' is said to be wrong; possibly (unexisting) vmware tools could be needed and explains this, i don't know.

Before trying natively, i'll redo everything with newer kernel, more optimizations (kill that dashboard!), some more tools, etc.

Thanks again modbin.

Modbin, you rock for this...and anyone involved.

I made a disc, worked great. Based it on a jas 10.4.8 install. I couldn't get it to work in vmware, but I burned it, and fired it up and ran the first time.

BTW, thanks to this disc/tutorial, I have found a glimpse of hope, that IDE support for my motherboard can be had in the install disc. This is the ONLY thing OSX Related that has booted from the IDE on my motherboard (has 965/ich8, so no uses an extra IDE chipset).

With all that being said, it's horribly slow (took over 10 minutes to boot), I'm not worried about it personally, but thought I'd mention it.

Oh and for some reason the disc ONLY works on my system. Not sure if there's anything I can do, but when I fired it up on my brothers box, it locked up loading an extension.

One last thing, how'd you make everything fit on the disc? I had to fight for things to remove, then found a file called "sleepimage" in the /vm folder I think, didn't seem to affect the system, but cut down on the install size.

Thanks for this...

Dustin

Ps. Any testing I can help out with, I'd be glad to do. Just keep in mind I'm still new to mac, though I have boat loads of windows, and decent *nix experience.

if you have ich7/8 chipset you need paulicat`s IOATAFamily.kext or booting in vmware/other machines will not work.

some people could not log in booting native, I fixed it will upload soon.

if you got errors post them and I will try to fix.

greets

modbin

if you have ich7/8 chipset you need paulicat`s IOATAFamily.kext or booting in vmware/other machines will not work.

greets

modbin

Is it possible to make a live DVD without having MAC OS X on two partitions? I mean, I have MAC OSX and WinXP. Is it possible to make a live DVD from WinXP, by using the programs and the content of the HD with MAC OSX???? :(

Is it possible to make a live DVD from WinXP, by using the programs and the content of the HD with MAC OSX????

Or maybe one Win/VMWare virtual installation of OSX and one real partition of OSX?

Then, maybe two virtual installs of OSX using VMWare - with no real OSX partitions?

greets

modbin

Thanks, I was needing that bit of info.

• 2 weeks later...

i gave up making the 10.4.4/5 livedvd modbin... never got dock to load. i screwed my os x install last weekend and now i'm on holidays i'm going to try your 10.4.8 guide with the sse2 kernel. i'll post what happens.

Dragon