APFS corruption

Kynyo

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Lookslike APFS it's still in beta stage...sad to say that after upgrading from HFS+ to APFS i'm able to boot the system all good till I mage one verification routine and resulted this:

** Checking volume.

** Checking the container superblock.
** Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
** Checking the space manager.
** Checking the object map.
** Checking the APFS volume superblock.
** Checking the object map.
** Checking the fsroot tree.
error: drec_val object (oid 0x2): invalid type (0)
   fsroot tree is invalid.
** The volume /dev/disk3s1 could not be verified completely.

Also the command "tmutil listLocalSnapshotDates /" doesen't list any snapshot.
I tried to repair using live mode, using Recovery Mode and by booting one installer, all with the same results.
I'm able to use the system but i'm afraid it will crash unrecoverably.
Hope that DiskWarrior update will come sooner.

Running: macOS 10.13 (17A405) with WebDriver  378.10.10.10.15.117

I don't know if my problem is related or not but I guess my SSD also crashed today.  :hysterical:

I was working in High Sierra and I tried to empty the trash and it was way too slow, so I decided to reboot and try again and now High Sierra won't boot.

I tried to boot from my backup EFI folder and that's a no go. I booted my system off my previous Sierra HDD and I noticed that my SSD is not detected, so after a few minutes it mounted and I'm backing p my data as we speak, I will try to boot into High Sierra if possible and keep you posted.

Thanks. This morning i had a serous kernelcache coruption which I solved by booting sierra and...

Terminal

df -h

sudo touch /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1/System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /Volumes/macOS

I had this serious error due to beta updating without removing webdrivers first.

Guest ricoc90

A couple of months ago I had the same. I could boot, but diskutil always threw some errors on me. At some point my system crashed and my whole drive got corrupted and unreadable by any system. I had to reformat the whole drive...

A couple of months ago I had the same. I could boot, but diskutil always threw some errors on me. At some point my system crashed and my whole drive got corrupted and unreadable by any system. I had to reformat the whole drive...

Ever since I switched to High Sierra on APFS I really don't like the performance it gives me on my SkyLake rig. I guess I'll stay on Sierra for the time being to I just might stay on HFS. I cannot afford to end up installing macOS every couple of weeks. I need this system operational.

You could update to HS using HFS+ and skip the conversion. Trim is also bad on APFS, it does a lot of filesystem checks and that takes boot time.

Well, as a matter of fact, i need to take care with nVIDIA Webdrivers also when you update because it leads to kernelcache corruption. It happened to me yesterday. I had to boot Sierra to force rebuild kernelcache but first you need to remove all nvidia kexts from /Library/Extensions.

• Like 1

is not possible anymore to install High Sierra in HFS+?

I see some tuts..maybe in other forum but I think it is possible

I cross my fingers but I have installed in apfs from first beta and I have ever had corruption problem 

yes it is possible, I'm re-instlling (Clean Install) it rig now. I'm using starsosinstall command from Sierra

i have apfs from the day I upgraded and didn't notice any difference in speed of boot, and I haven't had any corruption, knock on wood... until now...

The thing is I've been using APFS on a HDD since the first DP and no corruption ever occurred, But my SSD got really messed up (thankfully not physically at least) but now that I'm on HFS I noticed that High Sierra is booting much faster rather than the APFS.

Pikeralpha in his blog says to stay away from apfs for maybe this kind of problem

I am lucky with both my samsung for now

Yeah I've read that article a couple of months ago and now I know first hand that he was right. Although just out of curiosity I will be testing APFS on my Asus right which I have installed macOS High Sierra on my 1TB Western HDD just to see if the same thing is going to happen there to not.