SSD PCIe Adapter for MacBookPro Retina 2013

2 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

im looking for the way of upgrade my MacBook Pro 2013 Retina SSD capacity.

I only have 250GB and i need at least 500GB.

I know that there are posibilites to use a "normal" PCie SSD M.2 with an adapter .

My Model is Apple MacBook Pro 10,2 . (13" Core i5 Early 2013) (A1425)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.6-13-early-2013-retina-display-specs.html

My actual SSD is an APPLE SSD SD256E 

What adapter di you think that will fit??

Im from spain. 

Thanks you so much!

--------EDIT---------

This seems to also "works"

https://www.amazon.es/BQLZR-mSATA-MacBook-Retina-adaptador/dp/B010SRKMRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1497618448&sr=1-1&keywords=A1425+ssd

but this converts a MSata SSD  , not a M.2 SSD.

If i understand correctly, a MSata disk is based in Sata III technology,

and the M.2 that i should use for my mac book , needs to be PCie based no?

so, how could it works in my mac??

I went further in every mac and got this:

"Apple does not intend for end users to upgrade the SSD in these models themselves, the company even has used uncommon "pentalobe" screws -- also called five-point Torx screws -- to discourage access. However, access is straightforward with the correct screwdriver, the SSD is simple to access, and upgrades are not blocked in firmware, either. There are two significantly different SSD designs for these models, though.

There is one 6 Gb/s SATA-based SSD for the "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro models. Unlike the 15-Inch Retina Display MacBook Pro, the SSD in the "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" models is mounted in a small "drive caddy" that can hold a 5 mm or 7 mm tall SSD (or hard drive), in lieu of the small proprietary SSD module that Apple uses.
The proprietary PCIe 2.0-based SSD in the "Late 2013" and subsequent models is limited to a smaller "blade" option, though. By default, the "Late 2013" and "Mid-2014" models negotiate a x2 PCIe connection, but in testing, OWC discovered that when a "blade" SSD from a Cylinder Mac Pro was installed in a "Late 2013" or "Mid-2014" model, it "negotiates a x4 PCIe connection versus the stock cards, which negotiate a x2 PCIe connection," which means that this newly transplanted SSD was substantially faster than the stock one. The "Early 2015" models support a x4 PCIe connection by default."

I don't know if this helps. 
Lou Cioccio