I'll leave this here for historical reference
This is how i got my Asus P5B-E to work almost perfectly. Hope it helps.
Should work with the Asus P5B and P5B Deluxe too
YOU NEED A USB DVD DRIVE FOR THIS INSTALL, or use VMWARE as now described here!
(or use thedguy's http://forum.insanel...showtopic=34938 patch, but you still need to edit your osx once installed using my guide)
On-Board Sound: AD1988
PATA controller: JMicron 363
Back USB ports
On-Board LAN: Attansic L1
Front 2 USB ports. Could me my case (Antec P150b) (USB 7-10)
General Install Guide:
Install Guide (Dual Boot with XP)
1. Get partition magic and resize your windows partition, so that you have at least 6GB left.
(or if you're reinstalling windows xp from scratch, when choosing your disk size, just reduce it by how much you want for OSX)
2. Start Menu -> Run... -> diskpart
3. list disk
4. select disk 0 (replace 0 with the disk you'll install OSX on)
5. list partition
6. select partition 2 (replace 2 with the partition you'll install OSX on)
7. create partition primary id=af
OSX installation: USB DVD Method
1. Change your BIOS settings so that your using AHCI for the intel ICH8R controller (this will be IDE again later)
2. JMicron doesn't work yet so your going to need a USB DVD drive
3. Put in the DVD, when booting press F8 and choose your USB DVD drive
4. Click next, next, next until you get to the desination screen.
5. Open Disk Utilites, and format your free space to HFS Journaled
6. Install OSX w/ JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update, INTEL.SSE3.mifki, INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support
7. Wait until it reboots
8. Go to -> 'First Boot'
OSX installation: WMWare Method
1. Install VMWARE
2. Use Daemon Tools to mount the OSX install DVD image.
3. Create a new virtual machine choosing typical windows NT system.
4. Choose not to use a network connection
5. Make the disk size 0.1 (you won't be using it anyway)
6. Edit the virtual Machine
7. Choose CDROM and select your Daemon Tools virtual drive with the osx install image
8. Remove the Hardisk in the virtual machine
9. Click 'Add'
10. Choose 'Hard Disk' -> 'Use a physical disk'
11. Choose the disk you want to install on
12. Select 'Use entire disk'
13. Start the virtual machine
14. Quickly press 'ESC' to enter the boot menu -> boot from 'CD-ROM Drive'
15. If you get a hardware fault error or something, just make a new virtual machine with the same settings and try again. I had to do this a few times before it worked ... not a big deal though since you only need it to work once.
16. Click next, next, next until you get to the desination screen.
17. Open Disk Utilites, and format your free space to HFS Journaled
18. Install OSX w/ JaS.10.4.8.Combo.Update, INTEL.SSE3.mifki, INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support
19. Wait until it reboots
20. Go to -> 'Back to Windows' (since you're already there)
1. Enter your info
2. use spotlight to find the "chain0" file and copy it to a usb key
4. Restart, but this time press F8 when booting Darwin.
5. Then select to boot into windows
Back to Windows
1. Copy chain0 to your c:/ drive
2. Right click on My computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Start up and recovery -> Edit
3. add c:\chain0="OSX"
5. Start Menu -> Run... -> diskpart
6. list disk
7. select disk 0 (replace 0 with the disk you have XP on)
8. list partition
9. select partition 1 (replace 1 with the partition you have XP on)
Now you can boot between windows and osx ( just remeber to press F8 when you select OSX in the windows boot menu, otherwise darwin will select windows, and youll be back at square one)
On-Board Sound: AD1988
1. Open Terminal and type the following to delete your AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
2. Edit your AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
3. find Realtek ALC880/ALC860 and change the string value to
4. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
5. find <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> and change the string value to
6. Fix the permissions and remove cashed kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
PATA controller: JMicron 363
1. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist
2. search for VIA SATA Controller
3. Add 0x2363197B to <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
4. sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist
5. search for GenericAHCI
6. change the IOPCIClassMatch string to 0x2363197B
7. Repair permissions:
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAHCIPort.kext sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAHCIPort.kext sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext8. Switch your ICH8R to IDE in BIOS
If your clock is running fast then try this fix
1. In windows download PC Wizard (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php)
2. Run it, and under Mainboard ->chipset->northbridge find FSB (Mine was 266)
3. Boot into OSX with this parameter: fsb=266 (or whatever yours was)
4. If this fixes the problem edit your com.apple.boot.plist file
Its found here: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
5. in terminal type: sudo nano com.apple.boot.plist
6. add fsb=266 to the Kernal Flags string
7. WriteOut, and Exit
sudo chown -R root:wheel com.apple.boot.plist
sudo chmod -R 755 com.apple.boot.plist
If you don't know your administrator password (needed to change system files/settings) try this
1. Reboot your computer using the 10.4.8 install DVD
2. Under utilities there is a password changer. Use it to change the administrator password