Can't get past kernel panic after install

Tom Snow

28 posts in this topic

A few days ago I installed Sierra over my existing Yosemite system. The installation process went fine, but when I tried to reboot (from the HD using Clover on the USB) I got a kernel panic and it restarted. It does this every time and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've scoured every hackintosh forum looking for some solution and nothing I've tried has worked.

According to the messages it displays in verbose mode, the issue is a kernel trap. Only problem is, I can't find out what kernel trap it is because it never displays the entire line! In the attached photo you can see the most it's ever shown.

I read somewhere the issue was with Ev0reboot.kext, but that can't be my problem because I don't seem to have the kext (or did I look in the wrong place?) Then I thought maybe it was the BIOS settings, since I didn't bother to check that before installing. I set everything in the BIOS the way it should be and installed again, and...same problem, same kernel panic. Another forum thread mentioned the same issue being caused by the wrong system definition in Clover, that my Gigabyte mobo was incompatible with MacBook 5,1 because of the type of RAM it uses. But that's not it either because my Clover uses a different definition, I think iMac 14,1.

My hardware is a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo with Intel Core i5-2500K.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

post-2069661-0-32982400-1492991009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was finally able to put together a new installer USB, with the version of Clover provided in the link. I reinstalled Sierra with that, and am still getting the same kernel trap. Has anyone else had this same problem?

• Like 1

The Clover folder I used is exactly what can be found in the above link.

Here's a photo of my most recent boot attempt. This is the most it has displayed; I still don't know what type of kernel trap it is. Google searching has revealed that 13 and 14 are the types that everyone else gets so mine has to be one of those.

post-2069661-0-36152000-1493420027_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I downloaded a patched DSDT for my specific motherboard that I found on another hackintosh site. I put that in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and that solved this kernel panic! But now I've got a completely different one: "should have 4 threads but only found 5." I'll do some searching and let you know what works.

• Like 1

Check ur bios config the installer work without DSDT, after install i edit for u.

if u can extract DSDT in Linux or Windows, post here ;)

btw, use DSDT from same mobo model and same bios version ;)

Unfortunately, that's a .pkg file and there's not much I can do with those when my only Mac isn't working.

I'll be away for a few days but when I come back, if I can't figure out anything else to do, I'll probably back up the hard drive (I can boot Kali off a USB to do that), wipe the hard drive, and do a clean install.

Thanks for the help! I've definitely learned to stay current with OS updates.

• Like 1