Input Remapper 1.0.00 Alpha

Beliyaal

14 posts in this topic

Input Remapper 1.0.00 Alpha has been released!

For full functionality please remove Boot Camp 1.1.x keyboard drivers.

2006-11-05 - Version 1.0.00 Alpha

* Added: MacBook Pro automatic dimming of screen and keyboard backlight.

* Added: MacBook Pro fan control.

* Fixed: Core2 Duo MacBook Pros are now detected correctly as well as Japanese keyboards (never worked before).

* Fixed: OEM key now deteced from keyboard device id and the "press key to the right of the left shift key" dialog has been removed.

* Fixed: Misc bugs.

* Note: Should not be used together with another tool that uses the SMC such as MacBook Tray Tools because of conflicts with accessing the SMC at the same time.

* Note: Automatic dimming is not perfect and needs some delays and tweaks in a future version.

* Note: If the screen brightness or keyboard brightness keys seems to not work just hold the keys pressed longer.

Keys bound on MacBook Pro

* The default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

* fn+Left Click = Right Click

* fn+Backspace = Delete

* fn+Eject = PrintScreen

* fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

* fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

* fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

* fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

* fn+F5 = Increase Volume

* fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

* fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F11 = Media Play

* fn+F12 = Media Stop

* fn+Up = Page Up

* fn+Down = Page Down

* fn+Left = Home

* fn+Right = End

* fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

* Eject = Eject all optical discs

* Enter = Right Click

Any questions, requests, or bug reports should be made in this thread. Thanks!

InputRemapper_1_0_00_Alpha.exe

You sir, win a many internets. This works wonders. To be honest even the Auto Dim/Backlight works flawlessly sofar.

Everything works except for two glitches I've found sofar. The first is that the Eject Key won't function. The other thing is with the numlock key. fn+F6 turns it on (light and keypad) but pressing it again only turns off the keypad while the green light stays on. Another fn+f6 press turns the light off but makes that part of the keyboard partially useless (for instance the o key does nothing) and you have to press the fn_f6 combo one more time to get normal functionaliy back. Oh and yes I did restart the PC and restart the program to see if that would help which it didn't.

Only things I can think of that may be affecting this is that I have the C2 Macbook Pro and that I run Windows Vista.

You sir, win a many internets. This works wonders. To be honest even the Auto Dim/Backlight works flawlessly sofar.

Everything works except for two glitches I've found sofar. The first is that the Eject Key won't function. The other thing is with the numlock key. fn+F6 turns it on (light and keypad) but pressing it again only turns off the keypad while the green light stays on. Another fn+f6 press turns the light off but makes that part of the keyboard partially useless (for instance the o key does nothing) and you have to press the fn_f6 combo one more time to get normal functionaliy back. Oh and yes I did restart the PC and restart the program to see if that would help which it didn't.

Only things I can think of that may be affecting this is that I have the C2 Macbook Pro and that I run Windows Vista.

These problems are Vista only because the service cannot interact with the desktop and thus cannot see the eject key or read the state of the numlock light. I'm working on this for the next version.

This is wonderful! Thanks so much. Works great on my new Core 2 MacBook Pro.

My only suggestion is to increase the reaction time of the screen backlight and keyboard backlight (perhaps add these as sliders). I find that my screen reacts very suddenly to slight changes in ambient light.

edit: May I also suggest turning the keyboard light off when the screensaver is on?

-o2b

Does it support Vista X64?

I want to buy a macbook pro c2d version, and I have vista x64, I want to try it on mbp, so this is really important for me.

The last time I tried it on Vista x64 (Beta2 not on a MacBook) it killed the keyboard and mouse. I think this was because of Vista x64 not allowing unsigned drivers because it works flawlessly under Windows XP x64 Edition.

So unless there is a way to turn off the signed driver requirement or I'm able to get the driver signed you are out of luck.

Edit: It might work if you run this command and reboot before trying to install:

bcdedit.exe -set nointegritychecks ON

Edit: This was removed in Vista RTM. Now you have to press F8 at boot and disable it under advanced boot options every time you boot.

Hi Beliyaal!

Brilliant tool, must have for mac/bootcamp. Fan control is one of the greatest additions. Now instead of cooking my fingers they're continuously freezing and my macbook is as stable as never before :(

Thanks for doing this great work.

I've some feedback for 1.0.0 alpha, I believe you're aware of those minor issues, but to just to make sure I list my thoughts here:

• Fan speeds are not applied after reboot. Slider positions are saved but fans keep spinning on default 1000. Moving slider slightly left/right after boot reapplies the setting.
  • Keyboard backlight becomes brighter with darker environment. Correct would be to do that other way around: Once the ambient light sensor has reached the low light level threshold - smoothly turn on the keyboard light at full brightness. The darker ambient light gets, the darker should be the keyboard backlight (not to blind the user.)
  • Smoother screen/keyboard backlight dimming would be great, currently its little jumpy. You can try the way I did for MacBook Tray Tools - run a separate thread that is continuously / smoothly adjusting the brightness to the desired values, with slight lag to avoid surprises.

You've implemented things that I initially wished to do for the TrayTools, unfortunately I found too little free time in the last months. I'm really glad you came up with that.

Waiting now for better macbook trackpad support from you, apple's current windows drivers are rubbish :)

Thanks again,

Dmitri

P.S. another thing: I love the mouse wheel acceleration! The only problem - it also seems to affect the new two-finger trackpad scrolling, its just too fast with the trackpad. You think there's any way to limit the effect of this setting to the mouse wheel only?

Just would like to pitch some more ideas for your "to-do-list": since your tool has controll over the screen- as well as the keyboard-backlight, how about integrating some of the powersaving functions found in MacOSX - like reducing the screen brightness or turning off the keyboard-backlight after a certain amount of user inactivity?

Hi Beliyaal!

Brilliant tool, must have for mac/bootcamp. Fan control is one of the greatest additions. Now instead of cooking my fingers they're continuously freezing and my macbook is as stable as never before :)

Thanks for doing this great work.

I've some feedback for 1.0.0 alpha, I believe you're aware of those minor issues, but to just to make sure I list my thoughts here:

• Fan speeds are not applied after reboot. Slider positions are saved but fans keep spinning on default 1000. Moving slider slightly left/right after boot reapplies the setting.
  • Keyboard backlight becomes brighter with darker environment. Correct would be to do that other way around: Once the ambient light sensor has reached the low light level threshold - smoothly turn on the keyboard light at full brightness. The darker ambient light gets, the darker should be the keyboard backlight (not to blind the user.)
  • Smoother screen/keyboard backlight dimming would be great, currently its little jumpy. You can try the way I did for MacBook Tray Tools - run a separate thread that is continuously / smoothly adjusting the brightness to the desired values, with slight lag to avoid surprises.

You've implemented things that I initially wished to do for the TrayTools, unfortunately I found too little free time in the last months. I'm really glad you came up with that.

Waiting now for better macbook trackpad support from you, apple's current windows drivers are rubbish ;)

Thanks again,

Dmitri

P.S. another thing: I love the mouse wheel acceleration! The only problem - it also seems to affect the new two-finger trackpad scrolling, its just too fast with the trackpad. You think there's any way to limit the effect of this setting to the mouse wheel only?

I will be adding new features and tweaks to the automatic dimming in 1.0.02 version. You can change the scroll acceleration speed in Presets->Mouse Wheel Acceleration. You could create a new preset and change between them with a keyboard shortcut. Later I plan to add support for different presets/remappings for different devices.

Just would like to pitch some more ideas for your "to-do-list": since your tool has controll over the screen- as well as the keyboard-backlight, how about integrating some of the powersaving functions found in MacOSX - like reducing the screen brightness or turning off the keyboard-backlight after a certain amount of user inactivity?

I could add it for the keyboard backlight, but the screen already does this through Windows I think, although in the latest version Input Remapper might override that.

thanks. great tool! ;) what about to support apple mighty mouse with ability to remap its vertical/horisontal scroll and its buttons?

You might be able to remap some of it already in the advanced Configure dialog, but unless the keys and scroll generate standard windows messages you would have to write a driver for Input Remapper to be able to remap them..