[Howto] Get a system with working 10.4.8 kernel on any CPU

semthex

67 posts in this topic

Well, ok, tried the IRC, but not much info...

After some attempts I managed to install the semthex 10.4.8 according to the instructions.

But when booting with only -v -legacy, I only get blue screen with mouse pointer, doesn't go to GUI.

I thought it could be because of the nvidia card (g6200). I've tried removing the GE*.kext and NV*.kext, and later put them back and used Titan, Natit, editing the Geforce.kext with my devid, to no avail.

(of course, repaired permissions after each stage...)

Don't know where to go from here.

Rosetta related?

Anybody got that problem and got out of it?

Or simply, anybody with AMD64 sse3 CPU/nVidia GPU got the newer kernel installed with GUI?

i was at irc kernel last night and no one was willing to lend a hand at getting the kernel or the decrypts. sigh... anyway. semthex, i had initially though that your kernel was sse2 compatible. am i wrong? or was it unstable? how's the progress coming for sse2 emulation?

one more question. when you say unselect everything, do you mean everything even extra fonts and printer driver and all?

thanks for all your hard work!!

i was at irc kernel last night and no one was willing to lend a hand at getting the kernel or the decrypts. sigh... anyway. semthex, i had initially though that your kernel was sse2 compatible. am i wrong? or was it unstable? how's the progress coming for sse2 emulation?

one more question. when you say unselect everything, do you mean everything even extra fonts and printer driver and all?

thanks for all your hard work!!

joe75: hrivis, that sounds like you didn't switch kernels correctly.

I haven't got to single user mode yet, but I do have all kext loading and semthex kernel recognized.

Keep trying construction.gif

how didi you switch kernel and load decrypts and dont need to go to -s -v -legacy boot mode?

I got this booted up and running last night. I had to delete the geforce.kext to boot. At the moment i have no internet or audio, both worked under 10.4.6 jas. About this Mac crashes. Replaced the loginwindow from the 10.4.6 install, doesn't crash but gives an error for hardware under system profiler.

Anyone got any ideas? Other than that appears to be running great. No stuttering, reboot works, just need to tackle titan next.

Thanks semthex, doing a great job.

I installed the kernel and many others i'm sure. I just used the guide posted by semthex.

First thing i need to do is get Ethernet working. So if anyone has any ideas, please post. Vendor ID is 0x10EC.

The board is the K8n Neo2 Platinum, realtec ethernet. Works under jas 10.4.6. but no luck with the new semthex kernel. Thanks.

Now the GUI works. :(

Do you have a working system :blink:

I can not open or click anything, the whole thing is unresponsive :blink:

how didi you switch kernel and load decrypts and dont need to go to -s -v -legacy boot mode?

I dont have Darwin and I do boot with "-v -legacy"

I had to add "-s" to the boot .plist to have single user pop up, the I sh the decrypts :blink:

I had to write the boot .plist with macdrive.

ok, finally i managed it to boot with 8.8.1 :-)

BUT:

while booting my keyboard goes OFF, no chance to mount or anything else.

it hangs at the console prompt showing

localhost:/ root#

Tried to use USB and PS/2 for keyboard and mouse, no luck. Any ideas?

No problem at all, except I was to stupid to follow the HowTo completly :angel:

Do you have a working system.

I can not open or click anything, the whole thing is unresponsive.

Well, didn't make extensive tests right now. Will install forcedeth later to get internet. Learned NOT to start iTunes, had to force-quit it, this one is very buggy. "About this mac..." restarts, but that's already known.

I'm just glad for now to have gotten to the GUI (with -v -legacy), will see later what else bugs off; will stay longer and see if there's freezing etc.

/edit : no 'unresponsiveness' so far. forcedeth installed well. Will try finding an older loginwindow to solve the atm problem.

Edited by cbmkgd

Followed the instructions to a T.

Systems seems to be working great, except iTunes won't work properly. I get the preference pane issue, that people used to get prior to Maxxuss's patch v1.0a.

I'm assuming there is an issue with amd_rufus_1048.txt (the cpuid fixes). Anyone else seen this itunes issue?

edit: I see someone above had the same iTunes issue. I've noticed a patch on the bay that purports to fix this iTunes issue. Haven' tried it out tho. I'm going to investigate.

Installed everything lastnight with the newest kernel. Shyt's super fast! great job sem. THe only problem i have that i noticed so far is that my Dock bar is not functional. It only has 2 icons on it, but i can add applications onto it without a problem. However I can't right click on the dock =/ and also the dashboard icon on the dock is a all white in a square shape. Anybody else experiencing this?

oh runing on an amd 64 3700+ on an Asus A8n5x board

Good times, Good times =D

edit: also i just noticed onyx installer won't load.

I have followed the instructions to a T twice, and all I get is a blue screen followed by a black screen with a login prompt. Started with a 10.4.7 JaS DVD, did the Apple 10.4.8 update (not the combo), followed the rest of the instructions. Gave up. Waiting for JaS 10.4.8 DVD to finish downloading.