Graphics Card Failing to Load on Gigabyte Z170x-ud3 ultra after F20 BIOS Update

ryanf247

19 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I upgraded my bios to F20 after people recommended I do that to get rid false partitions in my bios. Now my Nvida web drivers won't load and it's not mounting my graphics card EVGA Geoforce GTX 980 Ti. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post your EFI folder (with ACPI tables dropped ==> at Clover screen press F4, then wait 5 seconds, then boot into OS, mount EFI via Clover Configurator, grab the entire EFI folder, paste to Desktop, remove "APPLE" folder, then zip and upload here)

Also, run IORegistryExplorer 2.1, click save, zip, then upload here.

• Like 1

Post your EFI folder (with ACPI tables dropped ==> at Clover screen press F4, then wait 5 seconds, then boot into OS, mount EFI via Clover Configurator, grab the entire EFI folder, paste to Desktop, remove "APPLE" folder, then zip and upload here)

Also, run IORegistryExplorer 2.1, click save, zip, then upload here.

Hey mfc88,

I tried my best not sure if I have the ACPI tables dropped or not (I can try it again if you need me to) here is the EFI folder and IORegistry file. Please let me know whatever you think will be best. I'm about ready to return this motherboard after having a graphics problem initially.

Thanks

Ryan

EFI.zip

Ryan’s iMac.zip

Yes ADGPFIX is applied.

I should have asked this before, but... Do you have windows installed? Because I need to know where your GPU is located (ACPI path). I'll also need to know what GPU you have and its device ID.

Also, do me a favor and add your complete computer specs in your signature.

As of now, I can't locate it in your IOReg, but I have a general idea of where it might be (.SB.PCI0.PEG0)... but I just need to be 100% sure.

I should have asked this before, but... Do you have windows installed? Because I need to know where your GPU is located (ACPI path). I'll also need to know what GPU you have and its device ID.

Also, do me a favor and add your complete computer specs in your signature.

As of now, I can't locate it in your IOReg, but I have a general idea of where it might be (.SB.PCI0.PEG0)... but I just need to be 100% sure.

thanks mfc88,

Yes, I am running windows but it's installed on a different drive in my machine.  

GeForce GTX 980 TI

10DE 17C8 49963842

Thanks

Ryan

thanks mfc88,

Yes, I am running windows but it's installed on a different drive in my machine.  

GeForce GTX 980 TI

10DE 17C8 49963842

Thanks

Ryan

Need the ACPI location... otherwise, it's a shot in the dark.

Ok, can you give me some direction on how to find it for you?

For example, in Windows...

Go to device manager, find your GPU device within one of the categories(can't remember which one), then right click on the device, select "Properties"

Under the "Details" tab should be the ACPI identity...

An example showing an ACPI identity:

5pDmGnc.jpg

Device ID (dev_17C8 === 0xC8170000)

RGAVUaB.jpg

BIOS revision:

xx0SvX0.jpg

• Like 2

For example, in Windows...

Go to device manager, find your GPU device within one of the categories(can't remember which one), then right click on the device, select "Properties"

Under the "Details" tab should be the ACPI identity...

An example showing an ACPI identity

So I think I have it here:

\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP

post-1935800-0-45550800-1487047195_thumb.png

Here's another EFI version you can try if the above doesn't work...

(also, I took a look at your KextToPatchs and noticed you're using Pike's IONVMEFamily patches: Take a look at my Generic HackrNVMEFamily Guide (link in signature). You'll create a custom kext and a custom SSDT (it's relatively easy, as long as you know the NVMe ACPI path), so that you won't have to use those 17+ patches in your config.plist anymore!

ryanf247-EFIv2.zip

• Like 1

Here's another EFI version you can try if the above doesn't work...

(also, I took a look at your KextToPatchs and noticed you're using Pike's IONVMEFamily patches: Take a look at my Generic HackrNVMEFamily Guide (link in signature). You'll create a custom kext and a custom SSDT (it's relatively easy, as long as you know the NVMe ACPI path), so that you won't have to use those 17+ patches in your config.plist anymore!

Hey mfc88,

I tried both of the EFI folders last night and neither of those fixed it, about to try to install your Generic HackrNVMEFamily Guide install.

Thanks

Ryan

Yes ADGPFIX is applied.

Hey mfc88,

I tried both of the EFI folders last night and neither of those fixed it, about to try to install your Generic HackrNVMEFamily Guide install.

Thanks

Ryan

Remove AGDP fix. You'll need to remove the patched AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, then rebuild your caches via KextUtility (simply run the program and it'll automatically rebuild caches). Then, leave it open. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!

Now you'll have to grab a vanilla AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext from "Install ESD" Mac OS image (OK if you extract from a USB installer or downloaded installer).

1. Download Pacifist for Mac

2. After you get through the 50,000 dialog boxes, click "Open Apple Installer"

3. Find your USB installer or "Install ESD" disk image and open it

4. Click "Contents of Install ESD"

5. Click "Contents of Essentials"

6. Click "System"->"Library"->"Extensions"

7. Locate AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and extract it to your Desktop

8. With KextUtility still open, drag and drop extracted kext in to the App's window (It should install the kext to S/L/E, then rebuild the caches).

9. Reboot and try again.

If still getting a black screen. Re-dump your ACPI files (F4 at Clover Boot, wait 5 seconds, then boot into OS), mount your drive, grab the EFI, remove "APPLE" folder, zip and upload here.

Also, when you enter the desktop, open a terminal windows and type:

sudo dmesg

Enter your passsword, then copy/paste the output of dmesg (paste it inside of a code box before posting)

• Like 1

Remove AGDP fix. You'll need to remove the patched AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, then rebuild your caches via KextUtility (simply run the program and it'll automatically rebuild caches). Then, leave it open. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!

Now you'll have to grab a vanilla AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext from "Install ESD" Mac OS image (OK if you extract from a USB installer or downloaded installer).

1. Download Pacifist for Mac

2. After you get through the 50,000 dialog boxes, click "Open Apple Installer"

3. Find your USB installer or "Install ESD" disk image and open it

4. Click "Contents of Install ESD"

5. Click "Contents of Essentials"

6. Click "System"->"Library"->"Extensions"

7. Locate AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and extract it to your Desktop

8. With KextUtility still open, drag and drop extracted kext in to the App's window (It should install the kext to S/L/E, then rebuild the caches).

9. Reboot and try again.

If still getting a black screen. Re-dump your ACPI files (F4 at Clover Boot, wait 5 seconds, then boot into OS), mount your drive, grab the EFI, remove "APPLE" folder, zip and upload here.

Also, when you enter the desktop, open a terminal windows and type:

sudo dmesg

Enter your passsword, then copy/paste the output of dmesg (paste it inside of a code box before posting)

Thanks mfc88, I didn't get to do the Generic HackrNVMEFamily install yesterday as I intended to, do I need to do that before I try to remove the AGDP fix?

Also i'm not getting a black screen anywhere my main issue is that my graphics card isn't mounting, I believe it's using the internal graphics.

Thanks

Ryan

Thanks mfc88, I didn't get to do the Generic HackrNVMEFamily install yesterday as I intended to, do I need to do that before I try to remove the AGDP fix?

Also i'm not getting a black screen anywhere my main issue is that my graphics card isn't mounting, I believe it's using the internal graphics.

Thanks

Ryan

Well... the problem is that your GPU isn't being recognized by the nvidia web driver and therefore isn't being loaded...

Type this command in a terminal window:

sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

Then reboot. Then boot back into the OS and type this command:

nvram -p

You should see a variable:

nvda_drv	1

If you don't see the above, then you'll need to run Clover EFI bootloader and install click "Install UEFI boot Only", "Install Clover in the ESP" and in Drivers64EFI-> "EmuVariableUefi-64", and lastly "Install RC scripts on target volume". Also, make sure your config.plist has the boot argument "nvda_drv" enabled as well!

The idea is try to eliminate the variables as being the issue:

- BIOS/nvram (the above)

- AGDP.kext (could be unloading your GPU, since you're using Mac Pro 6,1 -- you can try switching to a different SMBIOS)

- GPU Injection (could be injected in the wrong location and/or isn't being loaded at all -- hard to tell without see an ACPI dump log)

• Like 1

Hello, 

I upgraded my bios to F20 after people recommended I do that to get rid false partitions in my bios. Now my Nvida web drivers won't load and it's not mounting my graphics card EVGA Geoforce GTX 980 Ti. Any help is greatly appreciated.

After upgrading to F20 you need driver EmuVariableDxe.efi. It is the reason for graphics is not working.

• Like 2