x99 2x GPUs and Thunderbolt card - HOW?

r2tincan

6 posts in this topic

I am running a x99-E WS motherboard from ASUS, and I have the ThunderboltEX II addon card. I'm trying to get the card to work with two GTX 980's, and I can't seem to get it to work.

It takes a very precise build order to get the system to even boot with this configuration, and it only seems to work when I enable "Above 4G Decoding." However, if I enable this I can't boot into OSX. Another user posted that if you disable all your USB 3.0 ports you'll be able to boot with it but that's obviously not an option. This board should have enough PCI lanes.

What do I do to make this work? Anyone have any suggestions? 

I'm using 3101 BIOS, and tried updating to 3201. After updating to 3201, the ThunderboltEX card didn't work AT ALL, so I downgraded.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this to boot into windows by assigning 4X to the PCI slot with the Thunderbolt card. However, it needs to have "Above 4G Decoding" enabled. When I enable it, OSX doesn't move past [PCI Configuration Begin]. Any ideas on this one....?

• 3 months later...

I enabled Above 4g yesterday and to be able to boot again, I had to create a new DSDT. If you compare the old one and the new one there are differences in some OperationRegions and memory adresses. This could be your problem if you were using a fixed dsdt as i was.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

I enabled Above 4g yesterday and to be able to boot again, I had to create a new DSDT. If you compare the old one and the new one there are differences in some OperationRegions and memory adresses. This could be your problem if you were using a fixed dsdt as i was.

Hope it helps.

Do you have the same board? I haven't been using a custom DSDT at all...

Sierra allows you to boot with Above 4G Decoding set to Enabled, however I am having trouble getting 2x 980 Ti's +TB to work as well.

2x 980 Ti's with Enabled works fine, but once I add the TB I am unable to boot with the Nvidia drivers enabled.

Anyone else able to get 2x 9xx+TB?

edit: actually only 1x GPU with Enabled works. When I add the second I have Web Driver problems.